1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why are we disrobing Draupadi even today?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ShailRaghuvansh, Mar 8, 2010.

1. ShailRaghuvansh

ShailRaghuvansh Silver IL'ite

Hi V,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. I am not a very old entrant either. :)

I addressed you as V because I presume that your name starts with V and Bhatnagar is your surname. Right?

It's nice that you liked my article. Have written some more. You could have a look and reply as and when you feel like.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/87624-what-happens-when-religious-leader.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/88810-if-you-really-love-me.html

In the meanwhile, it would be nice to see your post sometime.

See you.
    Shail

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shail,
    It is almost a coincidence that I read this post today. I had been procrastinating the job of writing the preface for my next novel Or Iniya Udayam till today. And you know I borrowed Bharathi's words who summed up Mahabharat story in two lines - தர்மத்தின் வாழ்வதனை சூது கவ்வும். தர்மம் மறுபடி வெல்லும். As you might be aware Bharatiyar wrote an epic in verse, called Panchali Sabatham, giving importance to Draupadhi and no one else.
    Draupadi is the most wronged woman in Mahabaratha. There is only one more woman who was wronged even more and that was Gandhari. More about it later.
    The society then and now, wants to hurt women in order to punish men. In some villages the women are raped as a matter of routine, not out of sexual lust, but to punish their menfolk. Draupadi was to be disrobed only to punish the Pandavas.
    You might have notice Shail that I focus my writings on women. In fact when a group of people got me sign an agreement to give them a full length novel once every two months, they named the magazine, Mahalir Arasu, because they said, "You write for women and on women." It is no surprise that I have been surviving in this all womens site for five years and that many of my good stories were published in Womens Era.
    You write really vell, Shail. You should start working on a book. Best of luck.
    Expecting more from your desk.
    love,
    sridhar

3. ShailRaghuvansh

Dear Sridhar,

It was a pleasure reading your comment for my article. In fact, this procrastination about getting my work published as a book is going on for ages it seems. I suppose, taking the plunge is always a wee bit difficult for some folks like me! I went through the usual rounds of approaching publishers way back when my work was not fully ripe and mature and when I was too young. As you mature with age you realize a host of things.
    In fact, even famous writer Khushwant Singh wrote back to me saying that I write well. But the book part stayed at that. I love writing non-fiction and of course poetry.

Anyways, let's hope this dream of mine materializes soon.

And you writing on women issues is really good. Women don't realize it but even men can be feminists and sometimes, better ones than some terrace shouting women!

Yes, Woman's Era has published some stories of mine too although I wouldn't call myself a very good story teller. Non fiction and poetry writing is where my karma bhoomi is.

Thanks for your nice words.
    Shail

4. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Shail,

A very thoughtful post and I am in search of words still to give a response to this heavy post.

I wish you to get published your book soon Shail:cheers

5. ShailRaghuvansh

Dear Raba,

Thanks for the beautiful words and for the best wishes.

Since you liked this post so much maybe, you can become a member of the Feminist group and take part in the discussions there. People seem to have become members for name-sake only there. No one is initiating any discussion.

Maybe, you can make a difference!

Nice Day
    Shail

6. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Shail,

Thanks for your invite.
    when it comes to discussions, personally i feel that discussions in forum never comes to fruitful conclusions.(JMO)May be i feel that way , because I consider myself as very poor in bringing out thoughts and ideas in such thoughtful subjects.
    My sincere apologies, if my words hurt you by any chance Shail.

Please keep writing and count me as your friend who is eager to read your thoughtful posts.

Thank you Shail.

7. ShailRaghuvansh

Dear Raba,

No problem at all. It was only a suggestion. Nothing else. Since IL is offering us such an unique platform to discuss I thought we should take advantage of it. Nothing else. No discussion gets completed anyway. It is just the participation that matters. Sharing of thoughts and ideas in a debate bring up new perspectives.

And yes, do keep reading and sharing your thoughts. I will share mine too.

Nice Day
    Shail

8. incarnation

incarnation Silver IL'ite

A big applaud on your article .
    And also a big applaud to tell one of the Mahabharats infinite concepts to us in the way it was meant to be told by the author of Mahabharat.

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shail

What is say is so true.Yes i agree, women are at the receiving end, from the time of Draupadi.

In jaipur i have heard of cases of some top class people, the very rich, who have given away their merc, and one fellow his wife on the cards.

And i too play regularly cards with my friends, but later on to it.

Diffcult quesiton, and diffuclt answers to this vexed questions.

Yes the parading of women nude thru towns is a crime, should be punishable by death, nothing else.Agreed

What is the solution? I dont know.

But the problems are many.Uneducated people producing kids like rabbits is one problem.The lady is working in homes, or begging, and kids on the roads, with no education, so that type of population is increasing.

There must be some way forst to solve the problem, sterization is one way, forced if necessary.China had to retort to it.

Education, free , yes, but to how many kids ? They are being produced in such big quantities. What can the Govt do ?

Regarding Gambling, anything in excess is bad.I play reguarly with friends, on sundays, and we have our limits, we dont play the three cards, where stakes can go anywhere.We play 13 card rummy, and the win and losses of the group of us is something like 2000 , say i won 500, someonme looses 300 and so on, we all can afford it.Adn we play at our home, infronmt of parents and family.

Inour families at Diwali, or when guests come, even Dad, wife, Mom, bhabhi all borthers and their wives join in, and it is great fun.

so i wont call gambling bad, but yes clubs and playing with professions to win, and at high stakes, that is sruely bad.Disastrious.

Difficult situation, and what is happening is bad.god knows what to do.

a very thought provoking post.

Regards

kamal

10. ShailRaghuvansh

Dear Incarnation,

Thanks for your appreciation. I am glad you liked the article the way it was meant to be. That's encouragement to write more of such kind of articles.:)

Nice Day
    Shail