1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why are they laughing at you mom?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ILoveTulips, Aug 11, 2010.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

On hearing the knock, Deepa went to open the door. Her 7 years old son was standing with distressing face.

What Bala? Why did you come so soon? You said you will be playing with Anu??

With frustrated voice he replied, "
    Your program was on TV. So I came back. "

He then walked lamely inside the room and sat on the chair.

Its became usual that whenever Bala sees her program in TV, he comes flooding back to home and never go outside for the whole day. Its an well-liked Comedy show and Deepa is one of the principal character in that. She got that chance through a friend. The show producers paid good remuneration, good enough to cover all the home expenses and save at least Rs.1000 for a month. The director said people had started liking this show and the number of sponsors were getting increased day by day. There was high prospect for the show and it will be running at least for a year. Deepa was pleased about the regular income. But since the day her show was aired on TV, Bala was reacting bizarre. It seems he feels mortified. Deepa decided to talk with her son and convince him. He is all she has and he has to accept the fact that her mom is going to act.

Deepa turned on the TV. The show was on. There were 2 men in front of a tea shop, nattering with newspaper in their hands. Unexpectedly the whole tea shop and the benches started shaking. The tea glasses and vessels were shuddering. Men went uncontrolled and started undulating on the ground. The camera turned right and showed Deepa. She was walking briskly in a black colour saree. The laughter voice was played in the background, showing that scene is a funny one. As she passed far away from the tea shop, the earth quake near the tea shop was off and men was able to stand steadily. The tea shop owner man's dialogue was this, "This became the daily problem now. Because of her earth quake my business is going to get shut down!". The camera shows Deepa again, as she walks the whole street started to feel earth quake. Because of camera technique her body seemed engorged in the TV.

Bala was annoyed after seeing that scene. He ran towards it to switch it off. Deepa grabbed him and made him to sit on the chair. She muted the sound and began talking with him.

Why dont you want to see that program Bala?

I dont like it..

Why??

Everybody are sarcastic and they are mocking at you... Nobody is speaking with respect to you... When I had a fight with Durai he called me as "Gundamma payan.. " (son of a fat mom). Raji akka's mom is fat too. But nobody mocks at her. As everybody are making fun of you on TV, these guys are also following the same.

I will speak with their parents. They wont call you like that anymore. Ok??

That's not enough mom. I dont see you eating more than 2 idlies. But they show you eating 5 plates of Briyani.Why should you act that way? Why should you allow them to laugh at you?

I am working Kanna... They are paying me money for that...

Kala's amma is working in an office; Gopi's amma is not at all working. Why should you do that?

Gopi's appa didnt leave them. So she doesn't have to work. Kala's amma went to college, so she got good job. I was failed in high school itself. Who will give me job in office, other than cleaning work? This show pays me good money Kanna. You remember we were living in very small home near the slum area after appa left us? Now we are living in good colony. I can pay your school fees regularly. I can take you to movies, beach in weekends. Without this money, how can I do all these Kanna?

Yes amma, before appa left us we were happy. But why amma you are not slim like that aunty? If you didnt go this fat, appa wouldn't went with her right?

Bala continued,

Raji akka told me that if you were in diet and do exercise, you can become slim. If you become slim, appa will come back again and you dont have to act in that TV.

Bala's questions pricked her heart. He has growing day by day, so as his questions and doubts. Deepa felt that she has to explain him the situation, because she scared that he might hate her too. Its true that her husband went behind that slim lady. It all happened when Deepa fell down from a crowded bus. Doctor told something about a problem near her leg nerves and she couldnt walk for an year. With that problem, her body weight increased so fast that soon she became a pear shaped woman and her weight crossed 100Kgs. Her husband was with her for the first few months, soon he got tired taking care of her and left with the slim lady. Deepa's jewels, a small land and debts from all over her neighborhood, helped her and bala to continue their life. Now its this show, that pays her.

Kanna, its true appa left us because I am fat. But that is the same reason I got this job in this program and I am earning. Without that money what can we do? But at the same time your happiness is important to me kanna. I will promise you. This will not last long. I will look for someother job that is not that difficult and I can do with my body condition. Then I will leave this ok? You shouldn't ashamed of this kanna. Your mom is not doing anything wrong or illegal.

Amma does it hurt you when people laugh at you?
    Yes! sometimes it hurts..

Amma, when a thing hurts somebody, how it would be funny for others??

Good question. Its all because of the directors and script writers who dont have talent or skill to write clean comedies. They just pick people who are overweight, people who are abnormally short to their age, people who are very dark and ugly; have them as comedy themes and write the dialogues hurting them. They feel very easier to come up with a comedy program that way. And people dont realise it hurts them as long as they never face it themselves.

Please promise me you will get out of it very soon.

I promise kanna...

Deepa dont want this to be a false promise and remorse afterwards. She seldom want to be revulsioned by her son, only relation she has. But without good education and skills, earning good salary was impractical. At the same time she dont want to compromise Bala's education.

The next day she discussed the same with the friend, who got the current job in the comedy program. After listening to everything, she started giving some suggestions. It seemed very reasonable to Deepa.

Few months passed. Bala called blissfully, '
    Amma come here... fast... you are on again...'

That was an Government advertisement in TV sponsored by WHO (World Health Organisation). There was whole lots of junk food on the table and Deepa was standing beside it with ominous grimace. There was another table which stood very nearby Deepa's, was filled with fruit and greens. A slim lady with cheerful beam on her face stood beside this table. The background male voice explained the necessity of following 5-a-day (eating 5 fruits or vegetables for a day).

Deepa was relieved to see the advert too. Though she used her overweight again, she was not snubbed like the previous job, at least she was an example for a good cause. With her popularity she gained in the previous sitcom, people recognised her instantly. People also noticed that she looked slightly slimmed down and her face was glowing, after all she was not a laugh-at-actress anymore. Soon after the advert was made public, she got an offer from Teleshopping, where she should say that she used so-and-so product and lost her weight.

But she knows thoroughly inside that, that so-and-so product was not the cause of her new look; not even the pain because of she embittered by her husband; But the humilation her son faced because of her; His confidence and expectation..."

2. morni

morni Senior IL'ite

Dear ILoveTulips,

You took a different subject and Wrote about it with good narration.

3. ILoveTulips

Thank you for your comments morni... :)

4. JayaJ

JayaJ Senior IL'ite

good moral in the story. unusual topic. Loved it. Thank you.

5. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear ILoveTulips:

Very nice story!! I could not agree with the story more!! A comedy is only a comedy if it does not hurt others, well said!! Looking more from you!!:thumbsup

With Love
    Janani Natarajan

6. hema76

hema76 Silver IL'ite

very good story , some times we dont know our defects but our loved ones will always try to get them out from the defects like the boy.good post dear.

7. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

very different and good one. i like your way of writing

8. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

Your posts are getting more superb day by day!! Loved it ILT!!!

9. Deepthik

Deepthik New IL'ite

Hi...
    thanks for a Good and sensitive story... Definitely it is a diferent topic which is true..
    that may be a TV program or anything, if a child questions and if you are staying away from husband that pain is irresistable...
    Nice narration....
    Keep going on...

10. ILoveTulips

Thank you Jaya... yes its unusual topic... but that was pricking in my heart for a long time.... just put in blog...