1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why are there claims of bulk amount in the name of compensation in a divorce?

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by sarajara, May 28, 2010.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Rose

Might be yes, every man and woman when entering into a marriage should put on a paper what they will and will not do in their marriage:) how many times they will have sex and hwo many kids they would have,if possible also list whether they would reproduce a boy or a girl and who would bear the expenses if its a boy and who would bear expenses if its a girl, if at all they would want to go for vacations and if at all they would live in the same house or buy a new one, how many times can the inlaws visit them, how many times can the wife buy new clothes, how many times can the husband have his hair cut etc....because with your kind of logic I guess it would be REALLY GOOD to have evrything on paper even before getting married..this is a good idea too ..because everytime a husband has a problem as to why his wife didnt cook that day? she can show that legal paper and say ..this is what we agreed:crazy and when a man comes home late, he can show his legal paper and say this is what we agreed!!

Isnt this a wonderful solution to solve lot of marital problems:ideaI guess we need more people like you in this world!!

by the way there are kids who sued parents for not being taken care of properly or when their education was not funded (see recent yahoo news) and there are parents who sued kids for not taking care of them and throwing them on streets. WE assume that people are more emotions based and responsibility based, thats how we grow up and thats how we are raised. So if a man doesnt have a legal responsibility towards his mom, but still ensures he leaves his wife for his mom, but the WIFE Needs a legal paper:crazybecause he didnt sign any paper about her responsibility?? doesnt that sound BS?

Anyways dear! I understand your point of view however I think for your thoughts to be really implemeented even western countries need another 50 to 100 more years to make this paper based world where paralegal jobs would be in demand than the attorney jobs:crazy

By the way I dont know about which Texan Alimony law you were talking about, as my friend (whose story I explained earlier) she is from Texas and still both husband and wife are in Texas. Or are you saying paying alimony to a woman has been scratched from the law :)

PS: Also when any man/woman gets down to the level of ugly fight for alimony, finally the other side gives up and pays that money for the sake of mental peace or we have seen some of our Ilites mention where hte husband denies alimony /child support payments andd drags the case to an extent where the wife says ok, so be it and she moves on. I guess this is one of the proof where a man/woman can know how much of negativity the other party has harbored against them

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I quote: (since i'm lazy)

1 person likes this.
  3. SriVidya75

Spidey

As per Rose, even judge has to deny all alimony cases and make a law that every man and woman, son and daughter, mom and dad should be able to support themselves no matter what...unless they have a legal written document ...

By the wayin your quote...even judge is considering home makers..but our Rose is not considering:hide:she feels such people are parasites

Basically on the positive side, now I realise why many women are ready to live in abusive & unhappy marriages but not ready to come out because, they already loose their confidence, interest in life to top it, they are scared they cant support themselves if they separate as such abusive husband wont even be ready to pay for the damage he has done to his wife :(

4. SriVidya75

I guess inspite of all the DILs walking out of the marriage, from the same family, still the family members are worried about the alimony money they are paying off, rather than wondering whats wrong with their family??? So money is the botheration here, rather than relationships? Might be time for them to focus their attention towards people than the money

sindmani likes this.
  5. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

My post was actually for Rosequeen to see all the factors that a judge will consider. And yes homemaker will figure into alimony equation and rightly so. The length of marriage will also be part of the equation.

6. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

The recent case of Tiger Woods divorce is in the news , the amount his super model wife has claimed is huge , maybe for us but not for their lifestyle and earning capabilities. I have given examples of celebrity couple who are super duper rich on their own.
    The alimony is given according to the lifestyle of the couple .Even women pay alimony !
    If the wife files then alimony is far less as the DH can say she deserted him and he wants her back and is willing to live with her.
    Keeeping this in mind many a times a situation is created by the husband where the wife leaves house and files for a divorce so that he comes out rich and smelling of roses .
    Sometimes the earnings, property of the husband are hidden so that the wife is not able to proove his financial status and claim proper alimony. Leaving job and applying for a divorce is also a ploy to escape alimomy. Lawyers are good at giving such advice to men.
    If the husband files for a divorce then he has to provide for his wifes housing and other necessities according to the life style they lead while together.

There are also pre-nuptual agreements amongst celebrities where each and everything is written and signed before marriage.

sindmani likes this.
  7. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

One of our relatives is getting divorced within one year of the marriage which is unconsumnated anyway. There were some trials for patching up issues between two parties. But the boy's side people were adamant and did not even admit to the abuse they put the girl with. Maybe they never expected that things would reach this far and the girl's side will put up with all this like in the good old days.

Now , the thing is in court and the girl's side is demanding a huge settlement because,
    1.For a girl , second marriage is more difficult .
    2.She would have lost some years of her life in all these things, and as you know, with age, marriage prospects are also reduced and planning for children etc. all goes haywire.
    3. To teach the boy's side a bitter lesson so that they do not repeat the same mistakes with next person.
    4. Incase the girl remains unmarried, she needs some support for herself.

And the girl is also working but parents try to think of long term propsects of their children. Just like how the boy's side is ruing their son's life, girl's side will be even more sadder than that.

sindmani likes this.
  8. rosequeen

rosequeen Bronze IL'ite

I think you are contradicting yourself, you stated "In states that have “no-fault” divorces, support is usually only granted when one spouse has been dependent upon the other for a long marriage.", so homemaker contribution component is exactly zero in cases of short marriages (less than 10 years) or long marriages where wife works although she does 100% of housework. I know that in the state of TX no alimony is awarded unless wife is disabled and cannot work and no judge will listen to your homemaker argument there. Similarly, I know that no alimony is given to highly qualified wives who choose not to work.Trends in western countries are clearly indicating that people have to take care of themselves and cannot expect help from exes.