1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why are there claims of bulk amount in the name of compensation in a divorce?

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by sarajara, May 28, 2010.

1. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear friend,
    The issue must be with husband, no girl divorces her husband because of her bad MIL or potato chips !.
    In a divorce all sorts of accusations are hurled at each other , lawyers demand a high amount as alimony and both parties trouble each other no end.
    Even super rich people get and give huge alimonies even though the ex wife could be a millionaire in her own right !
    Working or not alimony is given to a the estranged wife BUT if she files for divorce then things could be different.
    If they go for mutual divorce then things are better.

Its not possible that 3 greedy girls got married to the boys just for alimony !
    There must be facts that you are not being told and the sons must be responsible or the MILs would have had a blast telling all about bad DILs.
    If MILs are still pining for DILs then the girls are fine !

Last edited: May 31, 2010
    sindmani likes this.
  2. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the reply flower lady and shilpa ma :)

It is very upsetting that it has co incidentally happened in a single family and all the MILS are crying for their respective sons undergoing criticism based on family as this agony has happend to them by chance and they are all hurt badly.

Tears well up in my eyes to see them sobbing bitterly thinking of their sons' lives as the girls have refused to comply with counselling or rethinking on the decision on divorce inspite of many attempts.

In the worst case they are worried about atleast the divoce process getting delayed , taking away the time from their lives to decide on anther marriage as none of them have had a baby yet.

Reallky sad scenario. After seeing them suffer I feel as why some ladies are so stubborn in not giving them a chance. I feel that to give a chance to a known person is much better than trusting a total stranger.

3. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

In this case also why should people claim bulk amount as compensation when they are all well settled in careers yielding them good monetary benefits?

Why should there be a stress that they want the compensation for the amount they have specified for a divorce to go through when they have themselves asked for seperation and not being asked to seperate from the other party?

4. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Saraja, Lawerys also get 10-15% of settlement amount as their consultation fees.. so I guess there's a third party involved in making merry of the fight between 2 monkeys...

5. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

The thorn in the flesh is the alimony then !
    If the girls had walked away without asking for a cent then the boys would have gone ahead with their re-marriages and the MILs would have been thrilled to get new DILs .
    Alimony is granted even if everybody is rolling in wealth it has nothing to do with the ex-wifes earning capacity.
    So the divorce proceedings will drag on and the poor boys will not be able to remarry in the near future. Thats why the MILs are weeping and wailing .

No girl wants to divorce willingly , things must have been bad thats why all this is happening. They must have tried to save the marriage before the proceeding with divorce.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    sindmani likes this.
  6. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

Savieta,

From ages man/his parents having been looting woman/her parents in the name of dowry and marriage. Tables are turning around slowly. So in this era woman/her parents are looting man/his parents in the name of alimony and divorce. But unfortunately good people have always paid the price.

7. rosequeen

rosequeen Bronze IL'ite

The MIL's are correct. Alimony in this day and age is meaningless. Many developed countries have moved away from this. In the US ( state of Texas), alimony is rarely awarded, even for a non working woman with few skills. It is expected that women go out and work and earn a living rather than depend on their ex like parasites.

8. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Rose

I guess you have to understand that, when a women stays at home still she is working....the house hold work whatever is done, baby sitting etc , laundry, cooking etc..so when the couple gets married, husband says why dont you be at home and take care of the house, and suddenly when the decision of divorce is taken, the rules are different? I mean I understand depending on EX for everything is wrong, but atleast for such women who were staying at home and sacrificed their career, they should be given some consideration atleast till theystand up on their feet. Using the term "Parasites" is really bad because didnt the same EX depend on his EX wife like a parasite to get all his needs satisfied??where the husband doesnt lift a finger saying...oh you are staying at home through out the day what do you do kind of attitude!!

I dont know whether you knew this or not, not just women, even men are awarded alimony. . My friend was working and her EX was at home and he was doing his MS and after his studies also he was at home , to top it as he is a man, he didnt agree to do the household work and help with kids, most of hte time he used to go out with friends and have fun at bars etc and he used to direct how the money she earned has to be spent, like buying all expensive stuff saying that he cant live with in certain amount as he finds it cheap etc....she got fed up and said I quit and she gave him alimony, a one time amount to settle things out of court so that this wont be dragged too long..

So if a woman is a parasite, what do you call such men? atleast Women e are doing the entire household work at home. So lets not use terms like parasites or the question itself of why alimony.

Already we are seeing divorces where, husbands just want to wash off their hands, even dont want to take responsibility of kids (you have to go through several posts here in our forum ) and if you say alimony is also wrong, then I guess its very easy for some men to get in and get out of marriages quickly:)

Most of the educated women, do not even demand alimony, those who werent in the job market, who had lost confidence that they can survive all by themselves (blame it on the setbacks of divorce) might be expecting something to stand on their feet. Also remember, if there were big huge amounts given as dowry, then am sure that lady is eligible for getting that amount back along with interest in the form of alimony...

Also I do understand that there are some men and women who just ensure they scrape out even the last penny from their EXes..which is wrong too..anything extreme is nasty..everyone has to understand and atleast be human when they are separating the least they can do is make the separation less painful for both of themm...finally they lived with that persron atleast till that time isnt it? so the person knows better whether their EX can manage with/without alimony and be truthful and work it out.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
    sindmani and panda2014 like this.
  9. rosequeen

rosequeen Bronze IL'ite

Didn't mean to be harsh to many helpless women who may need alimony. Was referring to the fact that many women have degrees and are well qualified but still try to claim alimony without looking for a job. If you have read my previous posts you can see why this household work argument is meaningless when it comes to alimony. Modern marriage is not household employment for the women. The husband does not legally agree to pay his wife or take care of her financially nor does the wife legally agree to do housework or take care of his conjugal needs. There is some type of informal social agreement, no doubt, but such type of agreements cannot be used as justification to demand alimony on break up. It would be completely unfair and illogical to give legal protection to husband-wife informal social agreement and exclude all other informal social agreements like mother-son, grown up son-aged parent, very close friend etc. It would be equally silly to provide alimony type benefits to a mother who cooks for her small son and son ditches her when he grows up. --I think Indian law specially Hindu law has some catch up to get to where Islamic law or developed countries are in this regard. This concept of alimony was there in ancient law where the man had to pay but there was also the concept of the wife having to submit to her man while being married. You cannot remove one clause and keep the deal fair. -- Yes if husbands demand alimony they can be called parasites too, no choice here, you have to go out and work and feed yourself. -- It should be very easy for men and women to walk in and out of marriages. There is no point in imposing financial burden if two people cannot live together. It should be a 5 min. job to file a paper and get done with it. This means there will be more people getting divorced and a lot of singles which is what is seen in western countries. However abuse of women goes down dramatically if people can simply walk out of their marriage.

10. rosequeen

rosequeen Bronze IL'ite

They want to make some money by exploiting an outdated and unfair law, simple as that.