1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Are Some People So Cunning And Hide Simple Things?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by pruthvee, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have been through a somewhat similar experience many times. I tried to be rational and charitable that the person seeking information is not in any way bound to follow my suggestions, and that it is understandable the person will seek opinion from many and follow one or none of the opinions she receives. But the depth of investigation they do is annoying.

I found your description funny and accurate, and only one who's been through the same will understand.

2. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

And then I start thinking if I bought an inferior/out of date purifier..

Nonya likes this.
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

:weary: That is the reason why people become secretive about even ordinary things they have.

4. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

even i had the same problem... it looks silly for me now... just take it cool and move on...people are like that we need to find solution for our likes and search with someone else if you take things too personally it will not be good because you cannot expect people to be genuine and frank always because their experience about life is on a different angle how do u know?? dont be sensitive to all these...move on

madras2018 likes this.
  5. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

Beautiful post @madras2018

6. Rihana

If some operate differently than you -- find imitation to be annoying or are not as keen to share hard earned life experience -- it is automatically decreed that the hiding is needless, they are petty minded? I do something, the something helps others, so all should do likewise?

How hard is it to accept the concept that each person has a different level of comfort when it comes to sharing information or other things? What shall we call a thinking that is unwilling to recognize that two persons A and B can be different in nature when it comes to sharing information or other things?

Nonya likes this.
  7. Rihana

The 3 Kinds of Friendships

3 Kinds of Friends You Meet In Life

Aristotle, but an easy read, in the above two links. Three kinds of friendships:
    ============ excerpt from above link ========
    1) Friendships of utility: exist between you and someone who is useful to you in some way, and vice versa.
    2) Friendships of pleasure: exist between you and those whose company you enjoy. Often, these are "activity buddies" or friends made due to some other common factor.
    3) Friendships of the good: are based on mutual respect and admiration. These friendships take longer to build than the other two kinds--but they're also more powerful and enduring. They often arises when two people recognize that they have similar values and goals; that they have similar visions for how the world (or at least their lives) should be.

========= end excerpt ===============

1 and 2 involve exchanging info such as recruiter's, hair stylist's, cleaner's phone numbers, life's how to's, where to shop's... 3 is deeper and beyond such exchange. In the 1 and 2, there can be some who take more than they give. And there are some who give more than they receive. And some who give more than they should.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

And then there are friends you make on forums like IL. All you know is what they type on this board. You give them your "likes", and perhaps you receive some like's back for whatever you spout. You have a jolly good time. Quite a lot of life-hacks are posted, read, and learnt, one from the other and back.

You know who you are -- you pairs of good buddies. You make pinky-promises with each other -- you know, you would hook your virtual pinky into the other's and promise to be on a certain subforum on Tuesdays, or promise to lose 1 Kg per month, or promise to resist logging into the forum for a whole month of Ramazan when the sun is up, etc.. etc.. You may even write PM's to each other, and share opinions that are not allowed on the messages of the forum. And continue to desist exchanging any information that would reveal your real person to the other.

We had such secret goblins who lived under the bed when we were kids. Now we can have them as grownups, while our real children are having their imagined goblins under their beds, and talk to them at night. We are one step ahead of our parents; we can actually empathize with our kids, because we are kindred spirits with out own goblin-friends... one under the bed, and the other when logged into the forum.

suasin and Rihana like this.
  9. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

@Rihana that is my point of view which i am entitled to just as you felt justified in rationalising the actions of the people OP mentioned.

Whether i call it petty is immaterial in the larger picture because i have expressed an opinion that is created in the minds of many who encounter such behavior.

If uniqueness is to be only derived from gmail background themes, recipies and clothes then in my opinion ppl are viewing their uniqueness and value in very narrow terms. Uniqueness in personality, thought and action stand out more . - how else to explain how some school children or anyone working in uniform, make a lasting impression over their peers? And are people so naive to imagine that the information that they so smartly denied is going to be permanently out of reach for the seeker ?

When people act petty over matters of little major consequence in the larger scheme of things in their own lives (specifically examples posted by OP) - they are ruining their own image and trading it off for a few hundred dollars (or whatever the actual value of the goods). They may have denied information of a dress, recipe or online hack. But word of their behavior gets around very quickly. And fact is perception is reality or presumed to be so.

I am responding to the OP with my opinion just like you and several others did. But you have chosen to nitpick on my point of view. So i suppose your statements of being unwilling to recognize a contrarian view applies to you too ?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Rihana likes this.