Why Are So Many Names Starting With A ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Anusha2917, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Well this is a very general thought which I felt like asking. I know I won't get an answer for this. But my curiosity is making me ask this.
    Past 4 5 years I am observing that all the young parents are naming kids from alphabet A.. My name itself starts from A and I know the advantages in school like my roll number comes in the beginning and all of that. But that's it.. And no big thing in having a roll number in the beginning . Honestly. Here I will list the names of all the new borns in family and friends circle. ( Well whatever I can remember) . And you can see how many As .
    1) Atharv
    2) Aniv
    3)Advay
    4) Avani
    5) Amrutha
    6) Aadvik
    7) Aadhvika
    8) Aaditya
    9) Abhiram
    10) Tania
    11) prajas
    12) Advaith
    13) Ansh
    14) Aayansh
    15) Ashvik

So 13 out of 15 names are from A ie 86 % .
    The last name Ashvik is my best friend's son's name. When she said I was like oh no not another A.

Plus so many As I'm so confused I go and call the kid with the wrong A name. . :D Names are in my mind but which name from A I'm confused .

PS. Just a thought and curiosity . I'm not against any parents naming their kid whatever they want . A or Z really not my concern.
    But why this general trend of naming from A is becoming popular is my question. :D

Sunshine04, kkrish and GeetaKashyap like this.

2. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

Good question :thumbsup: and you probably answered it already as well :thumbup: I too had this question few years ago when Google decided to name it's parent Company as Alphabet and there were lot of discussions around it. I vaguely remember reading an article where it was said that the founder(s) of Google wanted it to be at the very top in the various lists for Companies and one of them mentioned was the list of Stocks on the Stock Exchange. They did some study which said that in this increasingly digitized and information overload world, it does matter if your name starts with A and it eventually turns out to be a fountainhead for several other benefits to flow from that decision. Probably more and more parents are realizing the same. There was a comment in that article about most people not reaching the end of the list and that meaning missed opportunities for Google. Who would know this better than them? with they having access to almost everything we do online, all of us! This was only about how the name was picked. Why they wanted a parent company in the first place was a whole different story that went above my head :facepalm:

shravs3, Nylaa, Anusha2917 and 2 others like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Interesting observation, @Anusha2917. @Lalithambigai has provided an interesting explanation too.
    I had never thought along these lines; to me, the sound and the meaning are more important.

4. Anusha2917

@Lalithambigai that's interesting. . Yes in a digital worldwe live in it makes sense... :)

Nylaa and Lalithambigai like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Earlier, there was craze to name both children starting with same alphabet. If the girl is named Ramya, the boy is named Ravi and if the girl is named Vidya, the boy is named Vinod.

One of my friends got two girls and his children's name are starting with M. Therefore, we always inquire with him, "How are M & M's?"

hridhaya, sokanasanah and Anusha2917 like this.
  6. Anusha2917

Yes yes .. The crazy exits still but not as much as it was before.. And M & M's.. :D now it makes me wonder why they named that chocolate "m & m ". Let me check if google can help me... :D