Why Are People In India Searching For Friends?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Jun 28, 2017.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

It actually quite surprised me when I read few threads from delhi,chennai,mumbai asking to make friendship.
    I understand people abroad want to make friends coz it is tough and takes effort.Why of all the places,people search in India?We have lots of acquaintances,we do not get bored there and it was very surprising to read threads like that.

Also,have people met through Indusladies and made friends?

Jey likes this.

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

"whenI read few threads from delhi,chennai,mumbai asking to make friendship."

Where are these threads ?

3. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

It can be difficult to find like-minded people in one's immediate vicinity. One may feel safer being oneself on an anonymous forum where other aspects of one's life are not judged and one may offer a curated version of oneself. People are lonely everywhere. Yes, loneliness may be greater in the West but it also exists in India. Boredom too is not a Western monopoly. People get bored everywhere.

People in India face the same kind of problems people everywhere face.

It's almost like asking, "What is the need for matrimonial ads?" In India, everybody knows everybody else, they know their family background, their net worth, their past, their future. What is the need to tell strangers that you are looking to get your child married? Your social circle and extended clan shall introduce you to prospective matches without even asking.

Still, matrimonial ads exist, dating sites exist, chatrooms exist. Don't you remember the mania for chatrooms and Orkut in the 90s?

Indians probably formed the highest number of chatroom users in the 90s. What was the need? They could just call up their friends or go to their houses. But, they loved to chat. Now that Facebook has come about, that MSN, Orkut and ICQ population has moved there.

These are just new ways to connect with other people and people are putting them to use.

And yes, I am sure many friendships have been formed on this forum and shall continue to be. That can only be a good thing.

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Because people move across state boundaries and want to meet people from their region. India is so diverse- our food, festivals, everything differs from region to region. Now-a-days, in most metros both partners work and it is not easy for someone who stays-at-home to connect easily.

6. poi098

poi098 Bronze IL'ite

Its easier to make friends online. People don't really want to take the trouble and effort to actually GO OUT AND MAKE FRI ENDS. People in these major metro cities can literally just step out and make friends ANYWHERE - shopping malls, gardens, kids schools, their own housing complezx, work place - they are simply lazy to do that !
    I highly doubt if they actually make friends online.

anika987 likes this.
  7. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Oh, so these are forums within Indus Ladies! I read some of them & it seems like they have moved from other states and looking for friends..Maybe the same funda as using matrimonial- to look for ppl with common interests,have a wider choice, though to look for friends and not partners here.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    anika987 likes this.
  8. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Don't surprise . If we are living in different regional place somehow we look for same language speaking persons because we miss our nativity.We can't knock everyone's house to find friends. We depend on cultural/regional associations and social networking sites. We can't feel every acquaintance as friend. I always look for same tastes, attitude and wavelength person as a friend. No luck for me online, I got good friends in real world. 3 of them speak different languages but we connected to each other from long time. They are for me :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    anika987 and Sunburst like this.
  9. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Basically, It's the same reason.

Abroad, you move from one country to another.
    India, you move from one city/ state to another.
    For e.g moving to Delhi from Chennai is literally like moving to another country. Everything is different, and may not know anyone there.

The only exceptions are the people who live in the same city forever. They have a lot of friends because they are rooted there like School, college, work, marriage, friend's friends, etc.

But it's difficult for the people who has to keep moving to many different cities every few years. They are in a constant look out for friends because they have to keep starting over in different locations.
    For eg, say you were born n raised in Kerala, your dh in Bangalore, after marriage you move to Mumbai where you don't know anyone, you have to start fresh, right?

anika987 likes this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Common...

I live in my native city where I was born. But I still look for friends everywhere... Do you know why?
    I was uprooted from here when I was 5, and then lived in abroad (country A) till I turned 17, and then moved to another country (country B) for studies. Then I moved back home at the age of 22, and worked here in a metro city (away from native city).
    At the age of 25, I moved to another country and since then I have been on traveling mode as my career needed frequent traveling.
    Up until 2015, I traveled to many countries across the world and stayed/worked there for 6 months/1 year period depending on my contract.
    in 2015, I quit my job and moved back to my native place (birth place) for good. Settled here, and looks like we will be here for sometimes.
    Sadly none of my friends are living here. I am making serious efforts to have some close buddies, but it is getting extremely hard to have some like-minded people here.
    All have their own sets of people, and the new friends (colleagues/mommies/neighbors/husband's friends/etc) are becoming friends for the event/time and not after that.
    At any given time, I may say I have n number of friends, and of course these people are here with me laughing/chit chatting and passing time. But they are not my real friends, and they know nothing about my inner soul.

So, I look for my friends here and elsewhere despite of living in my own native/birth place.

Mine is a rare case though. But I assume all those who look for friends have a story to tell you here.
    No one look for friends if they have friends nearby.

anika987 and Umanga like this.