1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Whose responsibiliy is it???

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by nitasen3, Mar 7, 2014.

1. nitasen3

nitasen3 Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

My brother and his family has gone to USA for his work for almost three years. Before going he handed over the house keys to his wife's mother. I told him to hand over one set of keys to me or my mother so that sometimes we can visit and clean up his house. But he preferred to give both the keys to his wife's mother since she stays close by. Its almost three months since they left for US. My brother called up my mother and told her to go to his house and get someone to clean the house. I think it is quite insulting and unfair. I told my mother to tell my brother that it is his wife's mother's responsibility to get the house cleaned since the keys are with her. To this he is offended and is not talking to me. I just don't care and I told my mother not to make any effort to please my brother and his family. Whats the use??? He is not even sending any money or gifts to us. His friends often come from the US and I told my SIL to buy me a handbag and a Blood pressure monitor for me, but she is so busy shopping only for herself and not thinking about me. Then tell me friends, is it our responsibility to get their house cleaned up?? Or is it his wife's mother's responsibility since she so happily accepted both set of keys...

Im so tired of my brother, SIL and their showoff.........Uffffffffffffffffff....

1 person likes this.

2. vjan29

vjan29 Platinum IL'ite

OK, It's your brother responsibility or brother's mil responsibility only. But if your mom willing to do, its ok leave it, let your mom do it.

BTW, its been three months, who left to US, your brother mil? Because you said your brother is in US for three years. Then where the keys are? Must be with your mom?

OK, regarding your brother behavior and SIL behavior is really bad, being a brother he should send what you asked. I am not aggravating your anger, but be silent. Don't expect anything from him until he realize his mistake.

Sometimes if I talk something stupid, my sister get upset and she keeps silent, there will not be any calls from her even a month. If I call also, there will be yes or no answer, then I will realized my mistake and go to her home and talk to her. I actually don't talk the problem, but if I just make a visit she will be OK. So, just wait your brother will be OK soon.

2 people like this.
  3. nitasen3

nitasen3 Silver IL'ite

Thanks vjan29, my brother has gone to live in US for 3 years and will then return to India. They left for US on Nov 2013. No his MIL is in India and his flat keys are with her. My mom wants to go and get his flat cleaned but I really find it unfair, hence I told her not to. I don't know whether I am right or wrong but a little disappointed with their behavior. They are always very cold towards us. We want to share our problems with them but they feel we overburden them with our problems. So they try not to understand what we try to say. They take out a totally different meaning of what we try to convey to them. So I told my mother we should also try to be cold in our behavior so that they understand how it feels not to get help.

4. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

I must say you are a very nice brother, Vjan.

My brother is too busy to even realise that I am not talking to him since some days, and even if he realises, he is not so sweet to come over and spend time with me to make up for it, he is least bothered if I am not talking to him.

Nita, it was wrong of him not to leave a pair of keys to your mom, but he might have done that under the influence of his wife.

But please do not in any situation advice your mom on how she should behave with her son, she is his mother! Your relation with him is different. If you continue to do so you will sour your relationship with your brother and your SIL.

Just get his house cleaned, he your brother after all! And more over your mother's baby, he will soon realise his mistake and feel guilty for it.

If you ask your brother for something, then he should get it right away for you, it was wrong of him not to do so, but why did you ask your SIL for it? You can directly ask your brother, as long as it is not very personal.

If he didn't buy it for you, then just let it be, don't ask for anything in future, why get yourself insulted?

1 person likes this.
  5. nitasen3

nitasen3 Silver IL'ite

Thank You thegirlygirl. Actually considering my mother's age I told her not to go. First because for food also she has to get grocery right from scratch. Starting from oil, salt to what not even if she has to stay for two , three days there. At her age it is not possible...that's how I felt. Anyways I think u r right I should not be advicing. I know I can ask my brother directly, but I feel my SIL may feel bad about it and hence I asked her to buy for me.

6. littl

littl Platinum IL'ite

If i am in OP's position i will never let my mom do that and also i will take it lite cuz if they wanted to clean their house they will do them self otherwise they should request me providing keys. :exactly:

3 people like this.
  7. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Your SIL has no reason to feel bad, you grew up with your brother, you share the same blood, even if it is some clothes you want, you can directly ask him, no need to hesitate at all.

Let me tell what role you have to play in this cleaning thing......let your mother decide whether she wants to get it cleaned considering all that key issue, though I personally don't feel there is any reason to refuse, he made a mistake, but what is family for? You have to help him when the need arises.

If she decides to get it cleaned, and you feel she is too old to do it on her own, then you do it or get it done through cleaners for her, just for the sake of helping her out, not your brother, you got it?

1 person likes this.
  8. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

OP, may I ask, what gifts do you give your brother and SIL? Do they ask you to buy things for them?

Also how is this giving you gifts thing related to the keys thing? Are you saying, if they gave you what u wanted, you would have let your mum take up responsibility for cleaning? Seriously?

Gifts are something that people give you our of their own will and choice. Do you have a job? If yes, you must buy things you need with your money! Are they really showing off or are you jealous?

I don't think your brother was right in asking your mum to have the flat cleaned. But That's between your bro and mum. Why are you poking in?

22 people like this.
  9. nitasen3

nitasen3 Silver IL'ite

Yes thegirlygirl, I know since he is my blood related brother I can always ask from him, but still I felt that my SIL might feel bad....Tulipzz I am not being jealous....Actually she is my mother too, so my brother's attitude towards her somehow hurts me too....

10. littl

littl Platinum IL'ite

lol you says you don't think her brother was right is fine but u also says not to interfere in between her own brother and mother discussion???

you mean if one son/daughter goes crazy and disrespect their mother then other (son/daughter) don't need to bother about that???

IMO he should get it done from his MIL side only as he left keys with them.

2 people like this.