Whom to pray?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by vidyarp, Jul 9, 2009.

1. vidyarp

vidyarp Bronze IL'ite

I am sorry for this, but i really need some help here. I am very confused. I believe deeply in God and pray daily. But i recite an assorted collection of slokas and mantras - for Ganesha, Lord Vishnu, Ma sararswati, Sai baba, Hanuman etc etc....
    But when i think about total surrender to God, i am not able to visualize a particular form. To me, God is the creator of cosmic energy. I am not able to give form to that energy. Till now i didn't feel the need to define a form...since life was going fine and i prayed and thought everything is taken care of. I was wrong. I never really surrendered myself to God. I did all my duties but never gave into the cosmic power. Now when i went through tough times in my life, i realized the hollowness/emptiness in my prayers. Although i prayed sincerely, i still felt the doubts or questions creeping in. I realized that i cannot make this work. I need to give in completely and only then can i be one with God.
    At various points in time, people suggested that i should read Sundara kandam, Vishnu sahastranamam, Sai satcharita, pray to my kula deivam and so on. And this site has really helped me to collate all that and go through it one by one.
    But each time i read, i feel that all Gods are same then why do i need to read so many scriptures. If i pray sincerely to one, that should be good enough. So my first concern is - should i be reading as many of the scriptures? Will it be wrong if i miss reading something?
    Secondly - when i think of God, i can actually visualize many forms. But for total surrender, i am confused as to whom to look towards? I pray to all. So should it be Lord Vishnu, Devi ma, Sai baba, Ganesha, Hanuman?? Will other Gods get annoyed if i pray to just one?

Pardon me for such a query. But i am really not sure what to do.

2. abibaby

abibaby Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

Why should God get annoyed if you pray to one..God is one, only the forms vary. You can pray to your ishta deivam, if you are confused. For eg. I like Hanumanji very much. So I like praying to him, talking to him.

We never tried to understand the meaning of the mantras that we recite. Even I dont know the meaning of all the mantras I recite.But I strongly believe that they bring positive vibrations around us.

If we surrender to HIM fully, he will take care of us. I think prayer is a form of meditation. I also feel that God is giving us these sufferings to make us strong. So Happy praying.

regards,
    kirthiga

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  3. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

I can fully understand your feelings, I have also gone through similar feelings some years back. I used to recite slokas as per the days of the week, like durga on fridays, tuesdays, hanuman on thursdays, muruga on shashti days etc. But like you observed, this was fine till you are faced with some acute problems. That time you may be at loss as to whom you should surrender or call out to help.

As per sanatana dharma, as advised by Adi shankara, God is nirguna parabhrama swaroopam, and he can be meditated upon without any particular roopam. However we are mere mortals , it may not be easy for us to relate on nirguna parabrama at our level. So you can choose an ishta devata, which is very much allowed in Hinduism. and surrender to that God almighty.

Of course, reading sundara kandam and reciting vishnu sahasranam are two of things which I do every day, for the last couple of years.

Radhi

4. Vijaya@17

Vijaya@17 Silver IL'ite

Hi Radhi

I saw your reply to Vidhya's question Whom to Pray ? and quite impressed by your reply.

Please advise how do you read sundara kandam - is it chapter by chapter and finish by Rama Navami time.

I bought the book sometime back and did not start reading yet. Appreciate your help.

5. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Hi Vijaya,

Since I am reading regularly, there is no particular sequence to be followed. But if you are going to read for fulfillment of any particular desire, then the pattern of reading would be given in the book itself. Like the parayana murai can be completed in 1 week, 30 days, 45 days or even single day etc, as per specific karya sidhi. (eg child birth, marriage, buying house, shatru dosham etc.)

I read may be one chapter a day and once all chapters are completed , including pattabhishega sargam, I will continue reading from the beginning again. Further there are specific neivedhyams to be done once you recite the particular sargam like hanuman giving rama's ring to Sita , you have to make curd rice for neivedhyam ( Because on seeing the kanayazhi sita's burning heart cools - to signify that we have to make curd rice) Similarly after pattabisheka sargam, pal payasam has to be made for neivedhyam. Other days, milk with sugar candy or fruits can be offered for neivedhyam.
    Reading Sundara Kandam is considered highly auspicious for grahasthas, especially ladies. Good that you have thought of starting it. Go ahead and read.

6. shanthi ramanathan

shanthi ramanathan New IL'ite

I just happened to view this thread today and found that the same doubts raised by " Vidyarp " had arose in me also . Cany anybody clarify one doubt that if our ishta deivam is durga can we read sundarakandam and Vishnu sahasranamam or only devi related slokas has to be recited . As lot of confusion is there in my mind i am not able to concentrate while reading the slokas Can anybody tell me why I am not ableto concentrate and sit even for 10 minutes before GOD . I am doing the lighting of lamp nad neivedyam as a routine duty and not able to cocnentrate fully. I feel very restless.

Thanks in advance and waiting for a reply
    Shanthi

7. Vijaya@17

Vijaya@17 Silver IL'ite

Hi Radhi

Thank you for inspiring me to read Sundara Kandam. Am sure your encouraging words will bring good things in your household too.

Best Wishes !

8. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,

There is no such restriction . You can read any sloka or worship any diety even if your ishta devata is one particular God. This is one of the advantages in Hinduism. It gives so much flexibility in worshipping. Only thing worship with absolute faith and concentration.

Regarding your not getting concentration, for the start, try doing prayers /puja when you are alone at home, without any disturbances. I mean after husband, kids , servant etc have left . Or if you are a working woman, try to get up early and pray /concentrate sitting in puja room before others get up (brahma muhurtham ie between 4 to 6 am) . Once you are able to get the positive feelings/vibrations, slowly other external disturbances will not come between you and God when you pray.

This is just my opinion which I have felt in my life.

9. shanthi ramanathan

shanthi ramanathan New IL'ite

Hi Radhi

Thanks for clearing my doubts. Yes I am working woman . from your inspiration only today I got up early and read one chapter of sundarakandam (The book contains 5 chapters abridged in 90 pages) and also read Vishnu sahasranamam followed by lakshmi ashtotram . But only thing was that I did not read in the ealy morning i.e 4 to 6 am as I have to prepare for my daughter who goes to school to 7 am.
    Anyhow slowly slowly i will try to follow your suggestion of reading between 4 & 6 am .

Lot of thanks once again
    Shanthi

10. malarice

malarice New IL'ite

Pray your Aathma. God is in you. If you want to give a figure to god , pray your Mother. there is not big god other than her.

All those epics and Litratures and slokas are created by our ancestors to convey somegood things to us. That does not have any boundary like who should read and how should it be read. I am a hindu i ve read many things that is under discussion here including Bhagawat Geeta , the Ramayan the Puranaas etc.. I also found the Koran ( which is read in an illustrated way) was impressive. When I studied in St.Marys I got to know more about bible.

Today what Iam is the mix of all . Iam know as a good human being among friends and relatives.

Iam happy by that.

Hope sisters will have some point to understand. :) thanks

Malar