1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Whom to blame?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by avidlearner, Aug 28, 2011.

1. avidlearner

avidlearner New IL'ite

Once upon a time there was a powerful man with 5 sons and 2 daughters. Why that man is so powerful means he is rich, politically strong, can stand up on his foot and honest.Four of his children got married and were doing well. Slowly his business started deteriorating and the loses were irrecoverable. Now he had one unmarried daughter named Anasuya and two school going kids. At that time the society demands girls should get married as soon as they finish their schooling. The powerful man who is no more powerful doesn't have any money to give as a dowry. He was thinking what to do in this situation

There was another family in the nearby village. The family head was well respected and educated.He was no more. But his wife was also very intelligent, well educated. She was recognized as a highly educated woman in the village. They have two sons.Elder son is a doctor and got married. The younger one Gopi is deaf by birth, very inefficient and partially blind. So she doesn't want her son to get married as she has a feeling that even if he gets married also, the future wife will not well respect him.

This powerful man thought about this family, went and requested the educated lady to accept her daughter. This lady accepted their alliance. Anasuya was told that Gopi was partially deaf. She can't say 'no' to this marriage seeing her father in a disparate situation. So she agreed and they got married. Anasuya slowly started realizing that Gopi is not only deaf but also arrogant, inefficient and slightly blind. She felt so cheated. But she accepted the fact that she already got married and cannot do anything. Also, she cannot go back to her parents knowing the situation. She tried her best to change her husband in all the possible ways. But Gopi gave a deaf ear to her. She was sick and tired of him. She started hating her husband.

In the mean time she became mother of two daughters. Her only aim in the life is raise her kids very well. Being in a village without father support we can imagine how difficult it was for her to raise the kids. In this process of dealing with this cruel society she became tough. She took all the pain to up bring her kids. Finally her dream came through and her daughters were well settled. But she appears to the society as a bad woman for being tough to the society and being ignoring her husband.

My question is in the whole process, whom to blame?

Anasuya for obeying her fathers words regarding the marriage?
    Anasuya's father: for bringing inefficient husband to her daughter
    Gopi's mother: for being selfish about her son
    Gopi: as he was ready for marriage without thinking about any thing?
    Or the society : who has dowry system

2. Umlaut

Umlaut Silver IL'ite

First, I will blame something which is not there in your list: it is the baseless fear of that nameless, faceless entity called Society which we Indians are so scared of. We Indians suffer from a serious disease called the What-will-people-say Syndrome because of which many of us, even when we want to, don't do the right thing for ourselves. We give more importance to what the second cousin of the wife of the neighbour will think, rather than our own happiness. Thus you have here a father who forces his daughter to sacrifice her dreams and 'marrying her off' to anyone who would have her.

Second I will blame to dowry system. That is the worst evil in our country and a national shame and while illegal, it still exists. Why? Because we place such a strong emphasis on getting a girl married once she reaches a certain age. From the moment girls are old enough it is taught that they have to get married and that is the be all and end all of her life. And for that to happen, the father has to amass a large quantity of wealth to 'buy' her a good groom, failing which she is condemned to the Hell called 'Spinsterhood'. It is taught from an early age that the only way the Indian girl gets any form of respect is by getting the 'married' tag. We are not taught to respect ourselves as individuals first. In any developed country will a girl ever be taught like this? No. Mostly she would be independent after finishing school and earning her own money and not sitting at home waiting for marriage proposals. No matter how much economic progress India makes, I would say this: unless Indians treat girls as a human and as individuals with rights, I will not consider India in any way developed.

I would not blame the mother of Gopi, because she herself was not in favour of the marriage.(So she doesn't want her son to get married as she has a feeling that even if he gets married also, the future wife will not well respect him.) She was single mother and raised her children as best as she could. She was coerced by the father of Anasuya to marry her son to his daughter. So greater blame goes Anasuya's father. He disposed off his daughter like she was a useless commodity. But then he was a victim to the points mentioned above: fear of society and dowry.

I would blame Gopi to some extent for treating his wife badly. But then he might have felt that he was being married to this girl because of the father's desperation and not because of she liked him. The anger he felt on her father, he showed it on her.

Anasuya I would not blame so much. Because she is the biggest victim of Patriarchy. Do you think anyone would have listened to her even if she had objected to this marriage? She might have been raised to obey her parents and agree to whatever they ordered her to do even if she did not want it. She might have been Socially conditioned that the only life for a woman was married life and nothing else. If this incident had happened like 20-25 years ago, I don't think te average Indian women was even this empowered as we are now.

If Anasuya became hard-hearted after all this I do not blame her. Everyone has coping mechanisms to deal with difficult situations. This was her mechanism. She was hurt by all people around her. First by her father who told a lie and married her off to someone who no one would have wanted. Then when she accepted her fate, Gopi treated her badly for no fault of hers.

And lastly, I have a question for you: When you say her daughters are "well settled", do you mean that she too just married them off? Or did she help them get educated and make them independent? Because in India when we say 'well settled' daughter it simply means getting them married off to a man who is working and earning good salary. Only very few educated/enlightened parents think whether the daughter is happy with their decision or not.

3. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

I blame the society (people) for calling her a bad woman (not on your list). Who are they to judge her.
    God dealt her a lemon and she made lemonade out of it by the only way she knew. If anusaya knows she is right to her conscious than she should not give a damn to what society says.

1 person likes this.
  4. avidlearner

avidlearner New IL'ite

Thanks Umlaut and ars for your response.

Umlaut, to answer your question, her daughters are very well educated, got married and are living happily

5. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Avidlearner, I would blame the society. But when we say the society- isn't it just an abstract idea. What and who makes a society? Why does a parent have to give dowry? Why does someone have to get married by a certain age?

I would blame every man who accepts dowry from his ILs.
    I would blame every girl who accepts being given away with the dowry.
    The quintessential Ils who ask for dowry.
    Even people who ask what a new bride brought in dowry.
    people who ask the parents of a girl why their DD isn't married yet.
    I basically blame us because we are who make a society.
    It's easy to play the blame game but difficult to do something about the situation.

I have been married for 18 yrs and even now when I go to my parents' home, my MIL expects me to tell her what gifts they gave me. According to her I am a bad DIL, because I don't tell her! I think it's because it's an accepted norm. When is this going to change and who is going to change it?

With the Anna Hazare movement being so successful, I think a new movement should be started to bring reforms in this area, starting with the ban on the saas-bahu TV serials.:)

3 people like this.
  6. avidlearner

avidlearner New IL'ite

7. sri12able

sri12able New IL'ite

i would blame Anasuya`s father.....awful man...

8. bramvi

bramvi Silver IL'ite

I would first of all blame Anusuya's father
    All he cared was his name/fame while getting his daughter married into an influential family and he never bothered about the happiness of his daughter at all ,to live with deaf/blind inefficient person.
    He started the whole mess here!! Actually he is the one ,who is inefficient here!
    & Kudos to Anusuya who unlike her father, lived for her kids

9. aaral

aaral Silver IL'ite

I do not think you can blame every girl who agreed to marry with dowry. Till a few years back parents decided and the girl's is just a formality. It is the society made of neighbors, relatives who are to blame. But one thing I agree BAN THE SAAS BAHU serials.

10. jhalli27

jhalli27 Bronze IL'ite

i blame only this - the fear!! so basically it was the father.

and then i agree to every word what monita said - PERIOD.