1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Whole grains - why is it important?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by shakila, Feb 18, 2006.

1. shakila

shakila Junior IL'ite

When I shop for cereals, I find that the cereal package contains words like "great source of whole grains" etc. I am assuming that it is good for us, but I am not exactly sure why? What does it exactly do to our body or to our health? Anyone know?

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: Whole Grains

Dear Shakila,

Whole grains are important cause they provide a lot of fiber, and other nutrients. When cereals are refined, The refining process takes away the fiber and the vitamins and minerals that are found in the bran and germ portions of the cereal. This removes all the good parts of the cereal leaving it rich only in carbs( eg. maida, polished rice) . Even though, the refined products are enriched( meaning that vitamins and other nutrients are added artificially), it is better to consume the whole grain. An eg of whole grain is oats, . Or unrefined whole wheat flour( the ones we use now are refined to some extent) .

Hope this answers your questions. You can google to find out more about whole grains.
    Vandhana