1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who Takes Care? Whom?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Feb 6, 2020.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

It is 50 days since my husband had a fall and there were fractures of shoulder and hip joints.As he was unable to move and turn his hips, after two major surgeries, I got an air bed to avoid bed sores.I contacted an agency and arranged for a male attender to take care of my husband during day time.After giving physiotherapy daily and close follow up for four or 5 times he regained his movements and he is able to get up himself from bed and take a few baby steps with a walker.The agency used to send attenders in turns .It was going smooth for a month.Last thursday the attender was closely following my husband as he was walking with the support of walker.As I was going to wash my hands in the wash basin, I heard a big sound'Aiyo' from my husband.when I rushed a few steps towards hall, the attender had fallen down and he was pulling the walker forcibly from my husband. I ran, caught hold of my husband, made him relax on cot.
    Within two mts, I found saliva coming out of the attender's mouth and he was biting his teeth and gums started bleeding.

Definitely it was a sign of seizure. I sprinkled water on his face.no sign of recovery.
    Now it was my responsibility to attend to the attender.
    I just locked the house with my husband inside, rushed the attender to a nearby hospital.
    they gave first aid,some injection and I.V fluids.He had some injury on his back head. Doctors placed some stitches, prescribed medicines.

I brought him back.made him sleep on a mat. My husband was totally panicky. What would have happened had I not rushed to the spot.
    The person didn't speak. I telephoned to the man power agent. He said he was in Coimbatore and he would make arrangements to send another person within two hours.
    How much of risk we are taking while getting help from agencies?
    Do they get any medical fitness cert for the person they recruit?
    After two hours ,the person became normal and I gave a tumbler of nice coffee.
    He said every month he is getting this convulsion and doctors had said that there is no cure.he says that he had already informed of this to the agency.But the agent came home next day and informed that he was not at all aware of this health condition.I had to say in a stern voice that such negligence amounted to
    irresponsibility and I would have become a game for it.Next day he was sent to his native place in Ramanathapuram dt.

We could not imagine what would be my fate ,if he sustained head injury or whether my husband would have lost the balance.In the grim seizure crisis, the attender could not control himself and felt a need for support and the walker was handy for him.
    Now I am able to convey what happened. But on the eventful day I had to fix the priority and leave the house for nearly two hours locking my husband.
    I had to take the role of attender to the attender.It took a few hrs for my husband to recover from the shock. His imagination ran riot as though some unavoidable thing happening to the attender and we becoming answerable to the police.
    For the past one week the agent is sending a 22 year old boy, PG in Econ,hunting for a job. I feel very uncomfortable to see him attend to personal hygiene of a patient .Actually I have to train him to place adult diaper etc etc and instruct him of precautions to be taken while giving bath etc in dealing with old patients having unsteadiness due to fractures.
    Sometimes I feel relieved if I am left all alone to attend to the patient than training a new hand in an unknown job.What a terrible experience!
    jayasala42

2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

It must have been a terrible experience. Kudos for your timely help to the helper. Thank God nothing serious happened. I am not sure if any law exists where the agency should have the complete medical history of the employees. In the USA they are called nurse aids and are fully trained. Attending to a recovering patient is a responsible job. Thankfully you were around.
    Best wishes.

joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Sometimes I feel relieved if I am left all alone to attend to the patient than training a new hand in an unknown job.What a terrible experience!
    jayasala42[/QUOTE]
    What a terrible thing to happen- mishap was averted by divine grace.I have had experience of dealing with atleast a dozen attendants and four trained nurses.Barring a few it was a miserable experience and they kept me on tenterhooks all the time.Agents dont do background check and leave the responsibility of training the attendants to us.However it is a tedious task to handle by yourself over an extended period of time.You have to be fit to take care of your husband.Attendants charge 22000-24000 a month.If you need any help please do let me know.Take care.
    SLN

4. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

You really had terrible experience. Thank God mama is better. Though attendant is there you have more responsibility. Only some take real care and do their job perfectly. My prayers for mama to recover soon.

5. jayasala42

Even if MC is insisted on, they may be able to get medical fitness from some doctor.We cannot take their help for granted.We have to be alert.
    jayasala42

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. jayasala42

What a terrible thing to happen- mishap was averted by divine grace.I have had experience of dealing with atleast a dozen attendants and four trained nurses.Barring a few it was a miserable experience and they kept me on tenterhooks all the time.Agents dont do background check and leave the responsibility of training the attendants to us.However it is a tedious task to handle by yourself over an extended period of time.You have to be fit to take care of your husband.Attendants charge 22000-24000 a month.If you need any help please do let me know.Take care.
    SLN[/QUOTE]
    SLN[/QUOTE]
    Thank you SLN Sir for your concern.We are always learners in our lives and each experience teaches us something.It is really difficult to manage the attenders.Mostly the problem may relate to security and theft.Very rarely we come across problems of ill health to the attender.hereafter i will be doubly careful until my husband's all movements become normal.Other than attending to the patient women have many other rsponsibilities of course they be relegated to the background for the present.
    jayasala42

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. jayasala42

Thank you Viji for the concern expressed.
    jayasala 42

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  8. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

By God’s grace, the situation was managed without major tragedy ...actually epilepsy /fits though it’s a long term or lifelong issue, can be very well managed with medications...that attender may not have taken proper treatment either due to ignorance or lack of awareness or due to lack of money...still he shouldn’t have hidden it...
    Few elders in my family too were bed ridden for long periods of time...I have witness how stressed out their family members were, the primary care givers being spouse and children...even though nurses and trained ayahs and attenders are available in many agencies attached to hospitals, they need to be supervised strictly..one each cannot afford to be relaxed unless it’s someone very reliable...one of my family friend is immobile due to some injury..his wife is primary caregiver...they have a 2&*7 live in attender...he is a young man in twenties...he is paid extra to do cooking and light household tasks..they have a maid for cleaning work..they’re managing somehow..since the boy is reliable they’re relaxed...he talks nicely and that uncle is happy as he could mitigate his loneliness by having someone to talk to..

9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Sad and glad.
    Sad That you had a harrowing trying time.
    Glad nothing adverse happened to your husband as he was taken for a walk by the attendant.

Glad nothing fatal happened to that attendant.
    Sad that a PG in Economics engaged as an (amateur) attendant.

For my mom and dad at one stage we had two attendants from two different agencies for about a month and had hell of a time. They almost needed our attention all the time round the clock.

It must have been terrible for your husband and to you .

I earnestly pray for speedier progress of your husband.

Take care of your health too.
    Thanks and Regards.

10. jayasala42

I think the attender is not aware of epilepsy management.He is married and has a 10 month old baby.The agency called for his brother in Madurai and sent him away.
    These are all difficult times. we ahve to pray that the care giver should have good health until the patient recovers ,at least 80%

jayasala 42