who takes authoritative decision about your children?

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by Laxmi, Dec 7, 2008.

Who takes authoritative decision about your children?

1. Self

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Spouse

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Equal

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hello ILites,

The scenario here in India is that the Moms are the ones who decide about the educational aspect of the child. They are the one who are more concerned about their child's syllabus, stream of education ( CBSE, ICSE, State Board etc.), whether their children are fully prepared for the forthcoming exams. Dads hardly have enough time to track and be in the loop as far as exams are concerned.

Regarding the child's future, Moms are better informed about the child's interest and aspirations. So Moms could influence their children more.
    But that does not mean that Dads are not authoritative, they too pitch in for crucial decision. But considering the Dads working style, even if they desire to influence their child they do not have the time to interact and influence their child.

With this background, the weekly poll is who takes authoriative decision about your child - is it you or your spouse?
    The decisions involved may be a small issue like taking permission for outing, increasing their pocket money to bigger ones involving education and career.
    Take up the poll and cast your votes. Have a great Sunday.

2. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI laxmi...

Interesting Poll... My daughter is 3.8 yrs old... even though i'm the one to sit with her , to make her finish her HW etc... but most of her decision will be decided by both of us... from the beginning like when to put in the play school, which school, which curriculum etc... I might be collecting the details since being a home maker i get more time to colelct all these details and we discuss and decide...

waiting for others response...

3. jpoorni

jpoorni Senior IL'ite

Hi Laxmi,
    it is a very nice poll.i m also sailing in the same boat as Shvap_786.i m wondered whether our parents had soo many choices for schools,outing etc., and had spent their valuable time in discussing with their hubby about their kids in all regards.

Poornima

4. hemchi

hemchi Silver IL'ite

Hi Laxmi,

Interesting poll and a timely one!
    We both take a collective decision on our child's education. My child is going to 3 yr old in a month's time. Although I do the research as what school is giving what kind of education, etc and we do the analysis together.

Regards,
    Hema

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Well, my hubby being an MCP, he decides everything without thinking. I ha to struggle to chance his choice when it is wrong. He is very emotional and decides without discussion. So it becomes difficult for me everytime there is something to be decided.
    My son being a special child, I struggled to make him understand the need to take help from a psychiatrist. But when admitting for the Plus 1, I did not want to put my son in Maths group as he was finding it difficult. But hubby would not listen and put him in maths. Now son is finding it difficult and we are worried about how he will fare in Plus 2.
    I am now worryin about how to dissuade my hubby from putting son in Engineering, it would be better if son joins in some other course. I hope I succeed in that.