1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

who spends money if u go to India

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by pebblebeach, Apr 28, 2007.

1. pebblebeach

pebblebeach Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. Seems most of us are facing the same problem in someway or the other.

Now I have to think that its good that I don't have any SIL's. For a working bro-in-law only we are spending for all his personal expenses. So I can't even imagine how it would be if I have SIL's.

anyways I hope someday people will look at others not just for money but for that affection and love.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  2. uthra

uthra Junior IL'ite

hi,

simply said
    an NRI son is a goose laying golden egg

regards

3. naazneen

naazneen Junior IL'ite

:eek wow! really nice thread! Very true ofcourse. The irony of sister-in-laws not paying a single cent even when they are well settled and in the US is soo true!!

Mine (in-laws) is a one of kind breed- the kind who will take things from you and praise themselves for allowing you the opportunity to do something for them.:bang
    What really irritates me is that they never praise my husband for spending money or supporting them. Gifts and all is okay, my husband once helped his dad out by paying for part of a property sum. Can you believe it my father-in-law went around telling everyone(including my dad) "he" has bought the property for his son. What can you say?? we live so far in the US its a bit difficult to hoot your own good deeds if in-laws don't even have the courtesy to give due credit.

But really it does completely marr the "India" experience. what to do :confused:
    ~ N

4. JayaJ

JayaJ Senior IL'ite

hi,

I think you will need to act cleverly here. To some extent, its ok to indulge them. Spend on them but wisely. Whenever u go out, after more than 3-4 times when your husband has paid the bills, wat u can do is take some money from his wallet saying u need it to buy a gift for your in-laws. Example, if a saree of your in-laws cost around 2000, take 5000rs. When you go shopping, u pay for her saree. if she likes a costly saree, say its not matching her complexion or the material looks cheap or soemthing like thta and clearly manipulate them to buy what is within your budget.
    If your all going out for a movie or outing, cleverly remove some money from your husbands wallte, without his knowledge and when its time to pay, there wont b money. Ur husband will have no choice but to ask his family to pay for it. U need to act wisely. Thats my suggestion. AT the same time, do spend lavishly on them but in limits as you will need to save for a rainy day too. U have just started your new life and there is a long road ahead.

5. Jaishree123

Jaishree123 Senior IL'ite

Hi
    Its the problem with All the NRI's
    I have 3 SIL's and their 6 children, u can imagine how much we can save. once u go to India..all our savings finish like peanuts.
    here in Botswana we dont get many fancy things so they want us to bring even the diapers for their babies, cosmetics from dubai, dry fruits and toys and wat not.
    my husband can never understand their tactics. we have to remember every one's birthday and wish them without fail to avoid any big issues and we should not expect any calls from them on our birthdays.
    I sometimes get so worried about our long term savings but cant do much about it so take it lightly and leave it. we should get used to it and should wait for that one fine day where our husband will realise things.

Jaishree:bang:wave

6. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Enjoyed reading every bit of this thread, and laughed through out! The reason? Well, I just realised that it is not only me on this boat!Big LaughWelcome aboard! Way to go! End of the day, all that u can do is -bonk!

7. honeyj

honeyj Senior IL'ite

Money money money.........................
    Ghar Ghar ki kahani hain

i dont know when these people will change........

nice topic.....
    thanks

8. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

in that case my mil will pay and after comming back she will ask my dh to pay pack.
    they are more clever than us.