1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who is your special relative among your extended family members?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by SGBV, Jan 20, 2015.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Who is your favorite among your extended family members? Why?

Here I wouldn't call your parents, spouse, children and siblings as extended family members. Though some of them are technically extended families, in practice you live(ed) with them under one roof for many years. So, these are the people who sit at the front seat of your heart.

However, the extended relationship that comes along with your marriage or your siblings marriage or your children's is something that you need to live with. That somehow influences your love with your other strong bonded people like spouse, parents, siblings and children.

So tell us as to who is special in your extended family and why?

1 person likes this.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Let me start with mine.

My BIL - That is my sister's husband.
    I really like him and love him for who he is. He is definitely a special person, who shares almost the same values as me. He is really helpful, and maintains a good manners all the time. Since I do not have an elder brother, I take him as a God gifted elder brother of mine. My spouse and my children too love him. In fact, I do not know whether anyone could hate him.

My Co-sis
    Initially I hated her for no reason. I was not sure whether to attend my BIL's wedding or not that time due to my issues with my MIL. Since my co-sis is related to my MIL by blood, I felt inferior and thought of standing a step away from her. However, she is really a sweet heart. She treats me like her own elder sister and shares a lot with me. We slowly developed a very good bonding since we have a common enemy.

My niece
    My love and my sweet heart. Since I was longing for a long time to have a baby girl, but blessed with a boy as my first child... this little girl of my sister became my sweet heart. She loves me more than her mom it seems. She likes my son as her soul, and never wanted to stay away from him. Now that I have a girl of mine... even then, this one is special for me.

The list can go on and on.... the next in que will be my SIL (brother's wife), my husband's cousins, sister's PILs and my co-sister's parents as they are really reasonable and nice people.

3. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Here goes my list.

My cousin :She and me have 12 years gap,but still she is sweet and I can talk to her about anything and she will listen.

My niece: As I was married and without a child for more than 12 years when she came to picture,I was the one who was looking after her and in a way she made me to take a decision about adoption(Positive)

My co sister:Even though she is related to my MIL she never takes undue advantage or she never supports in laws for unwanted things.In fact she has given me tips to handle them and saved me some time from ILs. she is like a elder sister and she is always there for us whenever we need her and also I like her sense of humor.

1 person likes this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Sweet thread.

my FIL - he and I really share a rapport that he doesn't even share with his own kids. We can chat for hours. He has learnt to see any problem I have from my perspective without censure now. Despite his other faults, he has a special place in my heart.

my SIL - husband's sister. We are more like friends;she is really generous and kind. Though she is much younger than me, I've learnt tons from her

my other Sil - brother's wife. Sweetest girl ever. Really shows her affection and appreciation. She is really fast in all she does. No undue expectations at the same time; when we get together, we have a great time; if we haven't spoken for a month, no issues when we catch up next.

Co-sis - knows me really well and we have a great time together working on tactics for any problem we foresee.

Nephew - BIL's son. Was the apple of my eye; due to ridiculous constraints imposed by his mum, haven't seen him in years; yet, in my heart, he is like my first born...

5 people like this.
  5. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

BIL (husband's younger bro)- I grew up without a brother. And cousin bro's were all elder to me and far away. So never really had someone to call brother. Before wedding itself, he is the first one who warmed up to me. I like the fact that he looks up to me and tells me everything in his life. Has never made me feel like a sister-in-law. Has always treated me like his own sister and still does. Marriage or all the changes in my life (kids/issues with MIL) have not changed or touched our beautiful relationship. He is the real brother I never had.

3 people like this.
  6. anuyogam1988

anuyogam1988 Gold IL'ite

My mother in law's son and my sister in law's brother! ;)

sindmani, Kishw, theexplorer and 11 others like this.
  7. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

You are still very lucky as per IL forum standards :)

8. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

I m not considering my side of family that is family before my marraige,

so from DH's side

my SIL : she is just adorable, straight forward person, and the most loving, modern thinking lady. Always come to help me and have picked up fight with my PILs (her parents) to support me. She always wishes good for me, she is 10 years older than I am but she is like a friend

My niece and nephew: my sil's kid...they are not adults but have seen them growing up and we share a bond, have taught them school stuff and now they share life problems with me asking for solutions like they wld ask their mom. Just love them

sindmani and SGBV like this.
  9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

So nice to hear excellent lovely details about your extended family members - those usually the trouble makers in this otherwise tensed forum.

1 person likes this.
  10. IamLucky

IamLucky Gold IL'ite

Lucky ladies to have such lovely people in extended family.
    My Side i like my FIL ans SIL's Son.
    FIL and me shares a very friendly relationship( behind MIL:shhh:)infact he is the main reason behind our love marriage who convinces MIL and SIL to a very great extent.
    He is like my father actually and i call him APPA only. Having Love and respect for my old Military Major:hatsoff.

SIL's son(4yrs old) is very charming lil pie for me who loves anyone unconditionally Esp my daughter(1 yr old).hugsmiley

2 people like this.