1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who is handicapped?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 24, 2007.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Sir

How well you have portrayed the people who are physically handicapped. i was about to say physically challenged but decided against the euphemiism!

I think since childhood I had subconsiously observed my mother's attitude towards the less fortunate. Be it their soci-economic status, or physical attributes, education level, etc. ..my mother never had spoken a lowly word about a person or dismissed them off because of this. In fact she has always embraced them and made them comfortable in the limited ways she knew and could.
    I guess that has helped me appreciate the physically handicapped folks very much for their strengths and determination.
    A very beautiful post Sri Sir.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala
    To have all the physical and mental faculties intact is certainly a blessing but only for those who know how to use them. The song 'vadavaraiyai mathakki' from Silappathikaram immortalised by MS tells us how to use the different faculties. It concludes with the words 'Naaraayanaa enna naavenna naave' and that sums up the whole thing.

God's scheme of compensation is remarkable. I wonder if you have seen the Oscar winning movie 'My left foot'. It is the true story of a guy called Christy Brown who was born in a poor family with cerebral palsy and could move only his left foot. The movie tells us how he overcame his handicap and became a writer and an artist of acclaim.

These are very inspiring examples of how best to live our life despite the greatest of hurdles.
    Sri

3. PriyaKat

PriyaKat Silver IL'ite

Over the years, our reaction to the " handicapped" is slowly being modified from one of ridicule or pity to one of acceptance and appreciation thanks to sustained general education about them and the policy of inclusiveness that has given them better dignity. Thank goodness, we no longer have crude comedy in our films , making fun of disabilities. The media is also playing a positive role in publishing encouraging stories of successes despite physical limitations .

That said, there are various prejudices and negativities within us who are born without disabilities, that make us spiritually or emotionally blind, deaf, lame or insane by turns, yet we go about thinking the world of ourselves. Reading articles like this one, helps us watch our step and regain some balance .

4. Cheeniya

Dear Priya
    It is cruel to see large crowds gathering to watch a tiger or cobra with albino. When we ably defend the rights of the differently-abled humans, why do we make the lesser beings with disability a show piece? You have made a valid point there about the able bodied humans with spiritual and emotional deficiency. In my younger days, I have heard people saying things like you can trust a thief but not a short man. Whenever I heard such things, I used to think how ridiculous they were in uttering such nonsense. My mum measured less than five feet but if there was an angel in human form , it was my mum undoubtedly.
    Sri

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

If we call a person who does not speak as dumb, what should we call a person who keeps quiet when someone is abused? If we call a person who does not see as blind, what should we call a person who does not see good things happening around him? If we call a person who does not hear as deaf, what should we call a person who does not have the patience to hear the sufferings of the fellow beings?

You are right, Chenniya Sir, in saying that every one of us are disabled in some way or the other. When I was young I used to have homework in math and I used to clarify things with my dad. If I ask another question without applying my head, my father used to ask me, "Did you give your brain for wash?" (Moolaye salavaikku potturikkiya?) Technically, I was handicapped if I had given it for wash at that time. Even when we are surprised about someone asking a stupid question we ask, "Are you out of your mind?" Even that person should be considered handicapped. When someone ask us a question about where to find a key and when they could not locate even though we have exactly defined the location we ask, "Are you blind?' Even that person is handicapped as well.

Viswa

6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Excellent perspective! We are all mentally handicapped in some way or other and pity those who are physically challenged thinking we are perfect. How about people who turned their eyes, ears and the faculties that we are proud of having....don't utilise them and turn our heads away when a situation comes? Are we handicapped mentally? When we behave in a selfish way are we not mentally handicapped? Yes, we are. And we pity those physically handicapped who are fighting and trying to make use of their faculties to face life bravely and achieve things! A person who cannot see is not handicapped but a person who can see but turns his eyes have when something bad happens around him is the real handicapped.

As children are concerned...we try to program their life as we like them to be and not what they like to do. Sometimes it sounds very cruel and they are stunted in life forever.

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

Excellent post. We should be thankful to God for whatever we have and feel blessed. Just remembered this quote"

Count your garden by the flowers , never by the leaves that fall
    count your days by golden hours, dont remember clouds at all
    count your night by stars,not shadows
    count your life by smiles, not tears
    count your age by friends, not years

8. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    I can't agree with you more on this!
    In fact, if we keep expanding the parameters for physical, mental and spiritual handicap, the entire world population would come under its purview!
    A few years back, there was a comedy scene in a Tamil movie that attained considerable fame as 'Senthil's Banana Joke'. All the movie goers held their sides and laughed at this imbecility. In a sense, this too would come under the ever expanding 'handicapped groups'
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear shyamala
    Our ancient sages have emphasized on the fact that the 'five indriyas' given to us have to be strictly used in such deeds that would help us to get out of our 'prarabhda karma' and the 'life-death' cycle. But unfortunately we only keep increasing our 'Karma' by succumbing to the demands made by our senses and in gratifying them. A healthy body alone does not make a man perfect; he needs to have a healthy mind too. If he doesn't, he too would be labelled as 'Handicapped'

Regarding bringing up children, almost all of us have plans for them but we never bother to ask their plans. If a child is not allowed to pursue what it likes best and is made to do what it dislikes, it is worse than making a bonsai of a large tree!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    That's a beautiful quote highly relevant to the subject we are discussing. You are indeed becoming a great expert in quotations!
    Sri

1 person likes this.