1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who is handicapped?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 24, 2007.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

Two long replies to me, that too back to back- my happiest moments in IL! Needless to say, I thrive on love and sunshine and replies in IL. Thanks Cheeniya, you are a sweetheart.

I like what u say to Abha. I thought (not very hard) to discover that some of the most superior and condescending persons around us are those who consider themselves as God'd gift to mankind.

Also, happy to know that you too bristle at the treatment meted out to the prsons of below average height. One of my good friends acted as a circus clown in AppuRaja. A good student, a brilliant performer on stage, a hard worker- still whenever people referred to him, they used the word,'kullan'.

regards
    Vidya

2. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sr. Sri,

What a great post!! And I also liked all the interactions on it. I am proud to say that I have never belittled a person because of his physical disabilities right from my childhood.

While I was sympathetic during my childhood days, now I am more understanding in my views and treat them as individuals in their own right.

What we need in society is to appreciate that they are able to perform all that we normal (?) people are able to do and may be better than us also -- because we keep moaning and groaning about our stress levels etc etc.,

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya
    Dont you think it is better to be a kullan than a kallan? And talking of the vertically challenged, Lal Bahadur Sastri was our greatest PM, impeccably honest and a man of great personal integrity. He was one PM who did not start a dynastic chain!
    Physical stature has lost its relevance long back. What we need today is people of quality who can bring about a healthy change in society through whatever they do.
    Havent we heard that handsomeness is what handsomeness does? Did not Mother Teresa look astonishingly pretty with all those wrinkles crisscrossing her face?
    sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear Chitra
    You are right about all the graning and moaning we do when we are asked to take more load than we want to handle. But the physically challenged people take everything as a challenge and so they never grumble. They have a point to prove which they do effectively. I remember how our greatest spinner Chandrasekar used that little handicap in his arm to his greatest advantage!
    Sri

5. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear cheenia,
    Your lead post, the views of our friends and your well worded replies all show how the word handicap finds different meanings in different situations. I have noticed that the physically challengedhavevery sharp intellect and now a days media is projecting these achievers.We should al see what is positive or excellent in a person than finding fault with the handicaps. In this case we find ourselves more acceptable to society and naturally it makes our life relaxed and contented.
    Regards,
    Meenu

6. Cheeniya

Dear Meenu
    The race between able-bodied persons and the physically challenged ones is like the race between the hare and the tortoise! The able-bodied persns have this superiority complex that does them in finally. The physically challenged ones like the tortoise know their limitations and what they are up against. Their determination to win gets more and more focussed and they ultimately are able to secure their place in the sun!
    Sri

7. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Today only i got time to read this article, what a great analyze. It's a fact that one or the another way we all are handicapped.

Thanx for sharing this lovely post.:2thumbsup:

8. Cheeniya

Dear Cher
    Budhism teaches us that to be aware of our shortcomings mkes us perfect! In the same way, it says that if a man proclaims that he has banished all ego, he is the most egoistic person on earth!
    I loved your words that all of us are handicapped in a way.
    Sri

9. mythili

mythili Senior IL'ite

Dear cheeniya sir,
    I would like to Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this wonderful post.

I read and re-read your article many times and I realized I could relate to a lot of it. It is very true, it is easy for us to ignore the positives in our lives and brood over the negative.

Thank you for 'the moment of truth' once again.

I also forwarded the link to everyone who are close to me.

Love,
    Mythili.

10. Cheeniya

Dear Mythili
    I thank you for your kind words about my post. I am touched that you have sent the link to my post to all your friends. I take it not as an appreciation for my post but as a proof of your extreme concern for the physically challenged people.
    Sri

4 people like this.