1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who has the right to.....?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sathya, Jan 29, 2009.

1. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

Who has the right to donate?

Kindly do not read this piece of info if you are weak at heart or have someone ailing at home it can be worrying…..

If it is money it is easy. If it is an organ that is taken and given to someone when you are alive is also relatively easy considering the fact that you are able to decide whether to give or not. No one can actually force you and the choice is entirely yours to make. There are lots of people going around with just one kidney and are happy they have been able to save a life. Some people make a wish that the authorities can take any organ from their body to utilize for research or make a donation.
    People notify authorities that they will donate their eyes after death. They carry a card too and sometimes the family is informed. If the death is sudden it is a difficult task to make a decision whether to fulfill the wish or not.
    My dh made no such decision. Perhaps he didn’t think he will pass away in a jiffy all because he was a very healthy person.
    Fate decided we talk about it on that fateful day. Early morning he received a call from his uncle that his aunt was seriously hurt on the head and it was brain death. The end may happen very soon. My dh was shocked and worried. We got to talking about organ donation and perhaps at least the eyes. He called up mama’s son to inform the doctors if they so decide to donate mami’s eyes.
    I was speaking with my sister in law on how it is so easy to decide for others about donating eyes. I said it is. when it comes to one’s own dear ones it is very difficult considering the fact that it may be sudden/ a shock like it was when my mother in law passed away and none of us could think of donating her eyes.
    The whole day passed off with dh writing about some article about the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region></st1:place> president mr. obama. He went out for a meeting. Let me not go into details. He had a heart attack and was brought home `dead’
    After the hue and cry and informing my sons and relatives, I had to accept that he will no more be with me. From somewhere in my confused brain the topic of donating the eyes popped up. Much as it was difficult to decide. (from the way he looked he didn’t even look dead) I said that I was willing to make him see the world.
    The rotary club was informed and they promptly came and made the necessary forms filled. I stayed away from the room when they took his eyes away, as it could keep coming back to memory throughout my life. There was a prayer by them for almost half an hour. And then they left.
    Was I happy I donated his eyes…? Not exactly. I cried out aloud. jay what if you just come back to life all of a sudden and ask me how dare I give your eyes away…do I go about blind…!! The sort that can kill me instantly. Visions of his breathing again taunted me throughout the night. His ears were not pierced when he was one as his grandfather thought that it will hurt him and in any case boys don’t wear ear rings. This is a custom in our family. None of the men folk in the family have their ears pierced. There is also a belief that one should go to the grave with some cut or binnam as they call. Did I do it by giving away his eyes.
    People around me were in awe. Much as it was a shock to me was I bold in deciding to donate his eyes. They were really proud that I could decide to do it. Relatives and friends thought I did a good act. My sons on arriving got to hear it. I don’t know if I did a right thing da kiddies. I donated his eyes …!! I told them. They cried and were silent for a minute then said its ok mom two people will get to see the world through his eyes..they said. the hospital at trichy sent a note saying the eyes have been fixed for two people and many thanks for the thoughtful act. I am just wondering did I do a right thing? It is so easy to advice others. But difficult to act on one and feel that you have done the right thing. Now thinking at leisure …he was always someone who bit off more than he can chew as far as knowledge is concerned. He was a walking encyclopedia. Talk about history he knew, talk about politics yes. Talk about health he knew and practiced without any doubt that nature is the best healer. He never once visited a doctor for any of his health complaints. He had quite a few doctor friends who took advice from him. We were all under his care. Many friends and relatives took his advice over the phone.
    Perhaps it was not enough that he could just see one world with both eyes. Now he is seeing two worlds…? Do I sing engirunthaalum vaazga?

sathya

2. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Sathya,
    My Condolence to you & no words are sufficient to express it.

You did a noble act, the doubt in your mind is because you didn't have expressed permission from your DH. I always thought that it will be good if everyone can donate organs. Most of us here pledge it earlier so that it is easy for children or kith and kin to act on it.

In the absence of such tool, spouse is the best person to decide. As per hindu scriptures, the body is perishable while the soul of your DH which is pure,loving,compassionate will appreciate your gesture.
    It is admirable that even at the time of calamity, you had a noble intention which is most probably prompted by your DH's soul.

Be assured that he is happy and thank you for the samaritan act. He continues on Darling!
    May God bless you.
    Jaya

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Satya,

Condolences on your loss. this is definitely not enough to console you and your sons.

I would just say :bowdown for the presence of mind, and also the generousness to go ahead and practice what we preach.

I am sure your DH would have been happy for having brought light into the lives of two people.

4. SANARUN

SANARUN Silver IL'ite

Hello ma,

My heart felt condolences to you. Please don't have a second thought about your decision......very brave of you to be so thoughtful about eye donation even in that painful situation.

My :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown to you.

Bravo ma...........

Luv,

sangi:thumbsup

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

My dear Sathya,

Condolences to you, dear Sathya.

While it is good to have you back in IL, it is sad and equally inspiring to read this account. If I were God for a moment, I would make it a law of nature, that all our loved ones who depart suddenly, get to come back for a brief moment to say 'till we meet again' to their loved ones. I am sure if your Husband comes back like that, He will definitely give you a big hug for enabling Him to see and be in this beautiful world, far beyond His mortal time. What you have done is something that is very difficult to do, especially at that particular time. It takes presence of mind, courage, generosity and many,many other qualities- most of which I can sense, but can not even name.Many of our loved ones tell us often of their desire to donate body parts after they leave.But many of us do not get round to actually doing the few moral and practical steps needed to enforce that desire, which only we can enforce for them.You did that. Thanks to you and your husband, two humans will see this beautiful world through His eyes. And they will see only beauty and peace since the eyes came to them through such gentle people.

Our loved ones never really leave us. In your case, it is more true than for others. May God give you peace and may He keep your Husband safe in His Karavalambam.

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Bravo Sathya,
    Welcome back! You had taken a right decision at the time of a calamity. It shows your nobility. Your husband's athma would feel elated! May God Bless you and your children! May you lead a peaceful life and continue the good work your DH was committed to.
    I do know it is easy to give advice, but I consider you a brave lady and so you will carry on his good work.
    Love,
    PS

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Sorry, message duplicated.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

my dear Sathya,

I was very happy to see u here (was missing your poetic fbs and sense of humor) but am extremely sorry to know of your terrible loss....my heartfelt condolences dear...

u have indeed done what your dh wished u to and i really appreciate u for taking that timely decision.....please do not have any doubts re that..

also a big thanks to u for sharing it with us as it is a lesson for all of us....we better make our wishes official and known to our next of kin...we think we have a long innings here but never know what HE has planned for us...

love
    Mindi

9. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Dear Sathya,
    my condolences to you. You had taken a right decision at the time of a calamity. It shows your nobility. I am sure your DH would have been happy for having brought light into the lives of two people.
    May God Bless you and your children.

10. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dearest Satya,
    My heart felt condolences to you and your family.
    You have done a noblest act...no doubt .Please accept my :bowdown.

No more words Satya...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009