1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who has more rights in naming the baby

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by siababa, Mar 12, 2010.

1. siababa

siababa New IL'ite

Hi All,

I'm 6 months pregnant :thumbsupand we know the gender of our baby. Me and my husband selected a name for our cutie and we both liked that name very much. We started calling/addressing our baby now itself with that name and our cutie used to respond us back by kicking me very hard :).

But all of a sudden today my MIL came up with another name and she is ofcourse a very dominating person :spin. She will make sure that we keep the name which she has selected by making a very big drama. I'm seriously frustrated with this:rant.

As a mother, i think i have all rights to name my kid. My husband also has equal right to name our kid and we both liked a name and settled for it. My husband agrees to my opinion saying that we as a parent have all right to name our kid and his mom has got nothing to do with that.

He even informed this to his mom in a very light manner, but for that my MIL replied saying that she will call our child only by the name she has selected.

We have no issues in that, but she is insisting us to keep the name she has selected as the actual name for our kid during the naming ceremony. Why are these people like this. Don't we have rights to name our kid. Can't we name our kid according to our wish. My mother never used to interfer in all these things and i really respect this attitude not just bcoz she is my mother.

Up to date, I respect my in-laws a lot though intially i suffered a lot bcoz of them. They treated me very very badly during the intial stages of my marriage and i had a very bad time ( we stayed with them in a joint family with 2 bil & co sister for almost 1and half years after our marriage).

Now both my husband and his 1st bro are staying here in US and since my MIL and co-sis had lot of issues and bad incidents during their visit to my BIL's place at the time of my co sister's delivery, she kind of started talking to me and reduced her communication with my co sister to certain extent. I do talk to my co sis very very rarely and from what i know is the problem is not with her, but with my MIL.

She is basically a very dominating person ( i know her right from my school days my parents and IL'S are good family friends before our marriage and our's is a love marriage, me and dh belong to the same caste, religion, so i know her attitude.

Intially co sister had a very good time with her. They both used to gel well though i know her well my MIL used to treat me and her a little differently and knowing MIL i never gave importance to it My co sis stayed with her only for 6 months after her marriage and then moved to US. We were staying together with them for almost a year and half with another BIL.

My co sis was with my IL"s again together for 3 months only during her delivery time.

My co sister faced a lot of problem becoz of them during and after her delivery and she kind of keeping a distance with them now. It's just a formal hi and bye calls that's it. She was telling me that they were dominating her a lot and she had depression coz of that and now she is happy.

Now i guess my turn started. We are planning to bring my mom and his parents here for my delivery and even before she coming here she started dominating saying that we should listen to her and should name our baby with the name whatever she has selected.

I really think this is ridiculos:rantI have all rights to name my baby as per my wish and being a mother i think i deserve atleast this.. How can i make her understand this... How can i avoid all those drama scenes she is going to make when she is here during our baby's delivery time and naming ceremony.

Dh is supportive, but i don't want him to get a bad name from his mommy coz of this. If he supports me openly, then she will make a big fuzz of this issue and poor fellow will be torn in between me and his mom. But the thing is even he did'nt like the name his mom suggested for our baby :biglaugh . Friends let me know how to handle this situation tactfully without hurting anyone's feeling ( including my MIL's):idea And yes it is definitely not that easy to convenience my MIL. She is a person who has this " Na pudicha muyaluku 3 kal dhan" attitude:crazy and i don't want to name our baby with the name she has selected. I hate that name :rant

1 person likes this.

2. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Parents clearly have the rights to name the child over anyone else. In fact no one else besides the couple has any right to name the baby. End of Story.

3. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Accept the fact that your MIL will be hurt and decide what are you going to do about it??? are you ready to keep the name of the child according to her, if not then don't do it.

Its your child, your MIL had the opportunity to keep the name of her sons, now its YOUR turn and just because she will feel hurt about it does not give her the right to name your kid.

Your kid , your decision.

regards

4. kj2008

kj2008 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Even I had this issue when I was pregnant. I thought of keeping my baby's name according to raashi. But according to MIL the name is to kept according to the guru(gurudwara). So I agreed to it and went to gurudwara to find the starting alphabet of the name.

I finally decided to keep the name according to myself which I agreed to. My hubby supported me and told his parents to let me decide abt it.

So it was me who decided on the name and hubby too likes it :)

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hiya,

It is great that your DH and you have a consensus. Of course it is just the two of you who have the right to name your baby. With regards to you MIL, don't even say anything for now. Just keep saying "we'll see".

Since you are in the US, only you and your husband will be filing for the birth certificate. Just use the name that you have chosen in the birth certificate. So, officially your child will be called by that name. If it pleases your mil to keep a different name during the naming ceremony, you could indulge her. She can use her choice for now, while you and your husband use your choice of name.

I bet you this - When the child is old enough to respond to his / her name, he/ she will only respond to what you call him/ her! Not what your MIL uses!! In time, the name you have chosen will prevail. With this knowledge, just rest assured and enjoy your pregnancy with your nice husband da. :eek:)

6. siababa

siababa New IL'ite

Thank you all for your wonderful support. Even my husband said the same thing. He was actually telling me not to show any interest when his mom talks about the naming ceremony of the baby and just let her know that let's see...

He said finally it's us who is going to register our kid's birth certificate in the hospital and he has decided to register our baby's name according to our wish and he says he knows how to convenience his mom.

Even otherwise according to him they will be here for only 6 months and let them call their grand kid by whatever name they want and me and him will call our kid by the name we have selected... he is really a cool guy, it's only me who used to get tensed with all these silly issues. ( i know it's a very silly thing, but certain things in life i guess i have more priorities than MIL)

I can understand elders try to dominate thinking they will loose their diginity and self respect if they don't, i can understand my MIL's fear, she is ofcourse a nice lady to certain extent, but when it comes to these things i do want to fight for my rights and i have decided not to please her in everything she does :thumbsup

7. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Dear,

In US it's very simple.When you are in Hospital they will give papers to fill out the baby's name and you fill out the papers and give it to them.That's it.No one cal alter it and don't worry about your MIL.
    If your MIL talk some nasty stuff,tell her this is how it works here and we can't do it any more.Even myself don't know about the child name ,only your son selected and put it on paper.Just put blame on your husband .Son and mother can handle rest of the drama.

8. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

First of all congrats on your pregnancy. Dont stress yourself during this time. Just enjoy your pregnancy. When you have such a supportive husband , you need not worry about your mother inlaws silly demands.

Just tell her lets see and name your child accordingly what you both decided. Later when she creates drama, your husband would be there to tackle her. So you dont unnessarly worry about it.

9. 12adityas

12adityas Bronze IL'ite

Yes, as parents you both have the right to name your kids. She is clearly interfering. Is she god fearing & superstitious? If so, its easy to get your way. What name did she suggest? And what name you & your husb plan to go with?

10. Tara09

Tara09 New IL'ite

I think the parents have all the rights to name the baby as they wish and that should be FINAL!!.......No further talk on this with anyone!!

Your MIL in the first place should not be interfering like this. First of all, you are the mother of the baby and your wish should be respected. This is pure dominance from this woman and there is no way you can stay sane than telling her straightforwardly to back off and stay in her limits.

If you think of convincing, begging, pleading I guarantee that will not work and you will be branded as bad DIL. Instead why not talk straight and be branded BAD?? Anyway, they will blame you, so why spend that extra energy on such people??

REMEMBER: It is YOUR BABY!!

Really, what do these inlaws think they are???
    They decide EVERYTHING for us, interfere in every possible way and mess up our lives !!!! What pleasure do they get out of that????

They decide when son should get married, to whom, how the DIL should behave, what to eat, drink, how to sleep, when to conceive, what to name, what to do this, that........I better stop this here.....my blood boils here......:rant

But one thing I have realized is.....inlaws are interfereing because we are giving them a chance to.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010