1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who has more right in naming the baby? Parents or Grand Parents?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Sowmya2709, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

Who has more right in naming the baby? Parents or Grand Parents?

the baby!

3 people like this.
  2. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

True. It cannot be forced by the grandparents, but i feel if they are really nice grandparents who have been genuinely happy about the new person in the family and have been a great help, then their opinions can be taken into consideration.

My MIL (from my previous posts you would be knowing) tried to give in her opinions but there was so much bad history that I did not even entertain it. I just kept quiet about how she chose names for her kids and stuff... I did not say yes or no... just poker face. She stopped and then we named our baby what we had decided. Some, IL's only want to exercise their rights ,power and control. That is not okay with me.

3. satyasrinivas80

satyasrinivas80 Silver IL'ite

My grand parents named all of us siblings and we are stuck with the old fashioned names for life and all 4 of us hate it to the core. My friends, lecturers, and colleagues suggested me to change my name because it is old and doesn't suit me in any angle (my username here is not my real name). On the other hand, my uncle and aunt(dad's younger brother) named their kids what they wish and the kids are really happy with the names.

4. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

Parents. Me and my DH decided that its us who is pick the name and will keep it secret, just to avoid hearing opinions about the name. I and DH picked a name each. When my DD was born, we both selected the one that we felt will suit her personality. It has a beautiful meaning. And we announced to everyone. Ofcourse no-one was happy as it was not per astrology or numerology. Especially inlaws kept telling for a while, but then we just told them, we have named and registered, so live with it.

1 person likes this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

We kept the names of both our daughters. We shortlisted a few names. When they were born...we read out the names to each other so that we could hear how they sounded and then tried to match them with the daughter.
    No one except the four of us are happy with the name...neither inlaws nor my parents...but who cares.

My BIL and co sister asked in laws to choose.....they got some good brownie points for that.

We didn't have a naming ceremony,head shaving ceremony(we shaved the hair ourselves because they had uneven hair growth) or ear piercing ...did it all without informing others. Now we have to hear about it often......but it was all worth it. The thrill of defying ....priceless!:-D

2 people like this.
  6. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

Baby's parents... But it isn't that easy :-( My FIL is still furious with us in spite of adding his half name with my son's name :rant

1 person likes this.
  7. gopisu

gopisu Senior IL'ite

In case of my DD, my MIL suggested one name and I had another choice. fortunately the names were in sync, so we could join those names.

My Dad always says right of naming kids is only with the mother and not even father, as Mother bears all the pain to bring a new life on to the earth and Men can't even imagine how the pain could be. In case of my Brother kids, my Dad gave total rights to my SIL and no one interfered with her choice and everyone was happy. So, for their second kid my SIL herself asked my Mother to choose name for her grand Kid. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Sadhana29

Sadhana29 New IL'ite

my In-la's never take a decision or compel us in deciding the names for my kids. for the first as well as second, the decision is our. me and my hubby decided the names for our children. they are good really.. so happy about them.

1 person likes this.
  9. mercyagin

mercyagin Gold IL'ite

My inlaws are very controlling. They wanted to name my daughter, never liked my selection. I forced and fought with my husband, he finally agreed. But till this date MIL and BIL never calls my baby by name. :-(

10. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

my MIL chose one name for our baby and i like another name very much. my DH is in a fix he is trying to convince me to like the name MIL suggested since he doesnt want to hurt his mother.i am preparing myself for the battle but i need to fight this battle with my husband and not with my MIL which makes it even difficult. if it is fight with MIL i dont mind it but what if wife and husband are not in sync when it comes to naming the baby. who has more right naming the baby:confused2:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013