1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who has more right in naming the baby? Parents or Grand Parents?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Sowmya2709, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Jhilmill

Jhilmill Silver IL'ite

In your case with kind of history they have with other DIL's it'll be good if you tell them directly that its your and your husband's wish to keep ..... name of your child and you assume they being elder they'll grant this wish to both of you.

If they deny they are losing their respect anyhow...now it depends on you both to take a call as in why you'll listen to them ....1. to avoid drama 2. to be in their good books for property etc. 3. to buy your kid the love they'll show 4. this is not a big deal for you ...what's in the name.

1 person likes this.
  2. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

Thank u onesweetlife.. Left it to Sai, since i dont have anything in my hands..

3. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Who has more right in naming the baby? Parents or Grand Parents?

SIL :-(

That is our custom. Father's sister names the baby. Many times it has happened in our community that parents had decided upon a name, made the hall decorations with that name too and during the ceremony, the malicious SIL turns up and declares entirely different name saying "I give this name. If you don't like it don't accept." I had attended one such ceremony long back. :bonk

sindmani and RadiantFlower like this.
  4. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

IMO, parents have all the rights to name their child. It is their magnanimity if they allow anybody else to do it :)

5. suganvijay

suganvijay Platinum IL'ite

It's and has to be the baby's parents. But you may try to include grand parents idea if you like!

2 people like this.
  6. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I have not had a baby yet, but when I do my DH and I will decide the baby's name. We have already discussed the names we like for our future children and while he likes "s" names I am set on one "J" name and any other kids that come alone with have "s" names.

7. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

The mum of course - she gets to have the final say in naming the baby. :hide:

Why shouldn't she?
    After all, it's she who puts her body through nine months of discomfort and suffering, and then goes through the excruciating pain of labour/surgery and feeding and tending to the newborn afterwards.

It's only right after all this, she gets to have the final say.

Dads and everybody else can have an opinion, but not the final vote.

sindmani, Sowmya2709, ransen and 2 others like this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

This is what my stand too.
    But you know, the time of delivery makes everyone even a very strongest of woman to be weaker, and that's where in laws play their trick. I was a victim of their trick last time, as I really had so many other stuff to concentrate than the baby's name that time. They simply influenced my husband, and all of a sudden the dream names have gone missing, and my son turned up with a strange old fashioned name, which I hate. But as I said, I legally changed it as per OUR (me and DH) wish later on.

This time, we have already arrived at a decision about having a name. We know the Gender, and it is a girl. This time, my little son influenced us all... and we all are very fine with his selection of a name. We are almost finalized it, and my husband knows what can he expect if he is to change the name at the last moment. So, I am quite sure that he won't dare to give in to his parents this time.

9. Amirtha2013

Amirtha2013 New IL'ite

10. Amirtha2013

Amirtha2013 New IL'ite

if it is grand parents fight will come from both mother and father side