Who Am I? - Part I

Discussion in 'New Member Area' started by kavya, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kavya

kavya Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies!

One hallmark of a good community is how well members know and connect with each other.

Our community is far flung. We have members not only from India, US, UK, Sinagpore etc, we also have members from Republic of Congo, Cyprus, Iraq, Afghanistan, Botswana etc. Even though we are all geographically distant, we can use this forum to know each other well and build a personal connection. The internet can truly make distance disappear!

In an effort to build a tight-knit community, we are starting this thread named "Who am I?" where members can write their profile for others to read. I am going to kick-off this thread with a brief profile about myself. Please feel free to add yours.

Let's know each other beyond login IDs!

Kavya

Follow this link for Who am I - part II

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2008

2. kavya

kavya Bronze IL'ite

Tips on writing "Who am I?"

It is very important to us that the members of this community feel a personal connection with each other. That is what makes this community interesting, engaging and entertaining.

"Who am I?" is a big part of how we get to know each other and hence we strongly recommend you put some thought and time into that post. Here are some of our suggestions as to what you might want to share in your "Who am I?" post.
    • Where you were born and raised; your mother tongue
    • Your life so far
    • Your education, current job and location
    • Your hobbies and interests
    • Information about your family - parents, siblings, husband, in-laws, children etc.
    • Your likes and dislikes.
    • Your dreams and ambitions
    • Your thoughts about the Indusladies community.
    Finally, please also read the "Who am I?" posts of other members to give you an idea, but remember to add your own unique personal touch!

Look forward to reading who you are!

Your Indusladies Team

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  3. kavya

kavya Bronze IL'ite

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2006
  4. kavya

kavya Bronze IL'ite

Profile of Kavya

Hi!

My name is Kavya. As my name suggests, I am from Tamil Nadu. I am 23 years old. I was born in the US, but brought up in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. My father has his own business and my mother helps him run his company and takes care of family at home.

I have a bachelors degree in Economics from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). After my studies, I came back to Chennai to work in my father's company.

My interests include reading Tamil and English literature. I am little fitness conscious that I spend a disproportionate amount of time doing physical activity. I love Tennis. Even though I am terrible at it, it keeps me fit and helps make new friends. I love traveling and have travelled to more than 25 countries in the world (took a year off to travel around the world).

My mother never got tired of repeating that hardwork, coupled with faith in god will make me a successful woman. My favorite quote is what my father taught me probably 15 years ago from Thirukural.

பெருமைக்கும் ஏனைச் சிறுமைக்கும் தத்தம்
    கருமமே கட்டளைக் கல்

It means "Honor or disgrace is decided by one's own deeds".

That’s about me. I look forward to knowing others!

5. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Here is who I am...Rathi

Hello everyone,

I am Rathi, now living in the US, originally from South of Tamil Nadu. I did my schooling and UG (Computer Science) in Chennai. I love teaching and worked for a couple of years in a private computer institution as training development officer. I used to train students and my students ranged from school kids to college teens to middle aged people. It was fun to teach various age groups.

Got married 2 years back and that made me land in the US. I am right now a full-fledged home maker, but trying for opportunities to work from home. I spend most of my time now on the web - browsing, chatting and mailing. My pass time hobbies are cooking and movies. I like to try new recipes and always test it on my husband ;-) , a big critic of my cooking. I like watching movies, especially those that are light to watch. I always say a big NO to horror movies or those with a sad ending.

That's about me!

6. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Who Am I?

Thanks Kavya for your very natural intro. Here’s who I am.

My name is sridhar (indusladies’ handle is varalotti) and I am proud and privileged to be the only male member of Indusladies (at the last reckoning; I don’t know the present status)

I am an accountant by profession, that is a chartered accountant, equivalent to the US CPA. I also hold a Bachleors Degree in Commerce, in General Law and I am a qualified company secretary and an information systems auditor.

I am 47 (though I always tell I am 27, which is a standing joke amongst our friends and relatives) and happily married to Indhu, a beautiful homemaker and a veena player. We have a daughter Preethi who is doing her final year in English Literature. We live with my parents in Madurai, the temple city in South Tamilnadu, India.

To call reading and writing as my hobbies is a gross understatement. They are my passions.

When it comes to writing I think I have an unfair advantage over the full-time writers. Being in the most demanding and the most materialistic of all the professions, that of an accountant, gives me insights into the human nature especially in relation to money and relationship with other human beings. Such insights can be rivalled only by those of a professional psychologist, when the patient lying on the couch in a semi-hypnotic state blurts out the thoughts and fantasies lying deep inside his sub-conscious and unconscious mind.

But wait! Juggling accounting and writing – the two extremes - is a terrible balancing act – and the only simile that comes close to describing that is that of a master in martial arts who while standing on a plate of eggs has to wield so much power in his hands sufficient enough to break a bunch of bricks. A slightly higher pressure on the legs would mean broken eggs and therefore a failure; a slightly lower pressure in the hands would mean unbroken bricks, again a failure.

But the balancing act has its own rewards as well. A person appears in a totally different light to his accountant than to her club members or in-laws. And the insight a discerning accountant gets on the working of a human mind is more than enough to drive him to writing.

I started writing around 1998 under the pen name Varalotti Rengasamy. The name Varalotti ( which has raised many eyebrows and made many to suspect that I am a woman) is the name of the native village of my adoptive father. I was given in adoption to my paternal uncle who was a leading lawyer in Madurai. Varalotti, his village, is a god-forsaken town situated in the centre of the proverbially dry and draught-prone Ramnad District (now, Virudhunagar District). Rengasamy is my father’s name.

I have so far 145 acceptances to my credit. My stories have appeared in all the leading Tamil Magazines – Anandhavikatan, Kumudam, Kalki and Varamalar.

One story got the Tamilnadu Government’s award for promoting communal harmony.

Three of my stories won prizes at the Anandhavikatan’s Pavazha Vizha celebrations. My English stories have appeared in Womans Era, Alive, Deccan Herald etc. Many of my stories have focussed on womens issues. In a meeting of select writers in Bangalore one writer complimented me, ‘sridhar, you write like a woman.’ Coming from a woman and that too a writer, to me it was like winning the Booker Prize.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  7. Roshni

Roshni Local Champion Staff Member Senior IL'ite

About myself...

Hi,

I am Roshni, born and brought up in Calcutta. I have done my Masters in Nutrition and Dietics. Got married and moved to the US 8 years back, for my husband works here as an IT consultant. I have a loving daughter who occupies most of my time now.

I am a very health conscious person, may be because of my academic background! I love cooking and in my spare time I read or browse the net about diet, fitness and health.

I used to work from home doing some freelance projects, before my daugther was born. Now I spend all my time with her and in taking care of my home.

Awaiting for a good break to go back to India to be with our families...

8. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Who am I?

HI all

I am Prathibha, born and brought up in Bangalore, Karnataka. I am 26 years old. I have a Masters in Personnel Management and Industrial Relations. I am also a Commerce graduate from Bangalore univesity. I was working as a technical writer, writing and compiling help manuals for software products, when in Bangalore.

I moved to Malaysia when i got married to Ram, a software engineer. We have a cute daughter, Mamatha, 4 years old, who is attending kindergarten. My world revolves around these two lovely people. We visit Bangalore every year and we miss home a lot. Both my parents and in-laws are in Bangalore.

As of now i am a full-time home maker. I love to cook and try out new recipes. I cook north indian as well as south indian. I am learning new things related to software and my long-left profession, so that i can get into action once my daughter starts to school full time. I Love to listen to hindi and kannada music and watch movies.

I browse the net to know what's happening in India, to listen to music and also to search the web to help my studies. And of course, the latest development is the membership in this sweet forum which i have come to like a lot.

I try to live by the adage "Give Love to Get Love".

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  9. vinu

vinu Junior IL'ite

About me...

Hi,

I am Vinu, a Keralite from Trivandrum, now living in England with my dear husband and loving little daughter. I moved here 4 years back on getting married to Reghu, a physiotherapist. I have a degree in Nursing and used to work here before my daughter was born. Now I spend all my time with my daughter and have plans to take up a full-time job again when she is ready to go to school.

I love reading novels (fiction and non-fiction), chatting on the net (that's the most effective method to remain in touch with my friends back in India) and to an extent cooking (not an expert to take risk in trying new recipes!).

We go to Kerala every year, especially we escape from the snow and cold taking a vacation during that time. Having been born and brought up in a place rich in nature - water and greenery everywhere, it was very difficult for me initially to adjust in England - living among these tall buildings. But that's life, now England is my 2nd home :lol:

Love to hear from others...

Vinu

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.