1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

white stuff on my indoor plants

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by meghna.rj, Apr 25, 2013.

1. meghna.rj

meghna.rj Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone..

first time on a gardening forum :)

when I adopted some plants from my friend, didn't realize it would affect my plants!!! some of my 7-8yr old plants (money plants and Dieffenbachia) are infected with white fungus... googled on mildew, checked with local nursery and tried the following but no use

- sprayed the plants with mixture of canola oil (2-3 drops) / 1tsp baking soda / water / 1 drop liquid soap for 2-3 weekends
    - wiped each and every leaf with the spray and left in the rooftop sun for 2-3 days.

each time it looks good for a day or 2 and then comes back. I didn't get maddening itching all over after I wiped each leaf inspite of gloves..

A lil background... I live in a central AC house... the ac is on all the time and has to be cold ( DH is a polar bear :) ). the whole is well lit with french windows but direct sunlight in the house is minimal only in summer during the afternoons. no balcony :(

Don't want to use pesticides as I have a 10 month old baby.

I am uploading a pic. Hope someone out there can help.

plant1.jpg

2. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

Spray the plant with the strongest water pressure possible without damaging the plant. Focus on the leaves and stems that are covered in fungus such as mildew or moss.
    Mix one part hydrogen peroxide with nine parts water and pour into a water bottle. Liberally spray all surfaces of the fungi-infected plant with the solution. Repeat daily until all signs of fungi have disappeared.

3. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

my plant is also having white stuff.

Thanks NJASAV for the preventive method. thanks for sharing.

andal

4. meghna.rj

meghna.rj Silver IL'ite

Thanks Nijasav..will try this.