1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

White Rice and Carbs

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by MeenLoch, Feb 28, 2008.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

On hunting for this information on internet, I found out that around 180 gms of carbs per day is recommended for people with moderate activity or for people who consume 1800 calories per day roughly. Roughly a cup of white rice has 80 gms of carbs. A banana has 30 gms and One chappathi has 25 gms

It s also suggested that brown rice instead of white is good. Rice happens to be the staple food for Indians, south indians specially.

Has anyone of you tried brown rice ?
    I have a cousin who takes whole wheat bread with kootu and sambhar instead of rice. I trying to lose some weight. Would this help ? I would like to hear personal experiences you all have had.

It's said that sleeping right aftre food helps putting on weight. Sumo wrestlers do that to put on healthy weight.

Also it's said that carbs when not burned are converted to FATS. :-(

Read this post of mine on Fiber and Protein rich foods
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-foods/21336-fibre-protein-rich-indian-foods.html

Share your experience please :)

2. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Hello MeenLoch,

Your absolutely right that 1800 cals is recommended for people with moderate activity .Also a regular workout of 200 cals/day is also important for people with sedentary life style esp in USA.The most important thing is to spread your carbohydrate intake through out the day and eating smaller portions in regular intervals of time.

I tried brown rice for only 2 weeks last November and also did a work out of about 100-150 cals/day for 4 weeks...as a result lost 10 lbs weight.I was overweight by 10 lbs.

Brown Rice has the same calories as white rice but keeps you full for a longer time than white rice because of its fiber content.

I had great difficulty eating it as i felt that brown rice didn't go well with all South Indian curries except gravy/ stew curries & also is chewier than white rice.

I stopped workout 2 months back and also brown rice.Am sure i must have gained some weight by now... it will not work out like this for a longer time as my body must have started accumulating fats by now.

3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Meenloch,
    My husband is eating brown rice with south indian food in the afternoon.
    I also tried sometime back. But I felt hungry within 2 hours of eating. I quit.
    Now I prepare brown rice for my husband and white rice for me and my
    daughter. My husband says he feels full and it helps in his digestion.
    Because of the more fibre content, it digests easily.

4. shine82

shine82 New IL'ite

Hi

If you are looking to lose weight, please try and avoid rice, at least, initially, and have cereal in breakfast and eat roti in lunch and dinner. Rice has empty carbs however roti has good carbs but it also has a lot of fibre which is really good for you. Brown rice is not liked by many as it doesnt gel well with the indian cuisine.

Basically, being fit is all about eating nutritious food and working out right. If you have a regular workout and when it starts shwoing good results you can eat rice and whatever once in a while, but once the fitness bug bits someone, you yourself would not feel like going back on that track again.

All the best !

5. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

I too tried brown rice for couple month when I was a health freak and i was ok with it. But my husband didnt like it at all and he gave me a hard time. So i switched back to white rice again. But brown rice is definitely better than white since it is unrefined rice and has lots of fiber.
    If possible try brown rice guyz.

6. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your valuable inputs ladies.
    I think I am going to give it a try.
    I can see mixed experience here.
    It can turn into an acquired taste, in a while.

Aatta in Us comes without much bran. Also doesnt chappathi also have equivalent carbs. One can take a bran full aatta made chappathi. It really does make a difference.

Where do I get brown rice ? US stores ? Please suggest me friends :)

7. nakkamanju

nakkamanju New IL'ite

hi ..
    u can get brown rosematta rice and brown basmati rice in indian stores...
    or in farmers market u do get by weight wise maybe u cab get a pound of brown rice and try it ...n c how u like it...