1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which type of dance will you make your child learn- Indian Classical or Western? Why?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Dinny, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Which type of dance will you make your child learn - Indian Classical or Western? Why?Discussion

Dance is a form of expression that helps a person bring forth who they are and what they're passionate about.Dance is one of the most beautiful forms of art that has grown in leaps and bounds.
    Danceis found in every society in the world and Indian dance is one of the most ancient forms surviving. Its basic elements, it is believed are much same as they were many thousands of years ago.
    Dance form like Bharatnatyam,kathak,kuchipudi,mohiniattam,kathakali are one of the most famous dance form in India.
    ak1.jpg

In western dance forms balletdance,breakdance,hip-hop,step dance,tap dance are extremely famous.The different types of dances and dance styles that are prevalent all over the world are an indication of the popularity of this art form. From the olden days till date dance has always been performed for social reasons or even if just something to aesthetically display.

12735-kids-dancing-in-lets-dance.jpg kids1960sDance.jpg

So What dance form would you like your child to learn from when there’s so much to choose from??
    The talent has grown exponentially in the past couple of years with even kids taking the limelight. There is no limit when it comes to dancing, since change and improvisation is at its peak, with dance taking a whole new platform in today's world.

So dear ILites pour in your thoughts....

1 person likes this.

2. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

Re: Which type of dance will you make your child learn- Indian Classical or Western?

OMG Dinny! It's as if u have read my mind!!! Just today i was brooding over this topic while i was coming to office. Classical or Western to my DD. My DD's movements are good and she picks up steps to all the jazz beats in the TV.After one and a half year dilemma i opted for Western.This is purely my convenience and my thoughts. For classical dance i have this problem of pick up and dropping and the distance.Whereas Western is taught at her school itself.So i have chosen that. This is ust to encourage my child .

1 person likes this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Re: Which type of dance will you make your child learn- Indian Classical or Western?

Thanks chetavani for coming to this thread and sharing your views.
    You are right sometimes we have to do things which are more practical and convenient to do.
    Western dance is also a form of dance and i am sure your daughter will enjoy herself during the dance classes.
    god bless her!!

4. Young@heart

Young@heart Silver IL'ite

I would personally make my DD (5) learn Indian Classical first. The main reason is that Indian classical dances require long term commitment which is possible at this stage and maybe not later. However, western classes the kids can join even when they are in college/ jobs.

Moverover, i feel after you have mastered Indian classical, it would be easier to learn western than the other way round.

However, being a office goer mother myself, i might have to take a practical approach like Chetvani50..

Regards,

P.S. These are my personal views and opinions and no offence to anyone is intended.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

I can understand young@heart....

Theres another question that i would like to ask.....
    Would you let your son take up classical Indian dance???....i am asking this because many parents are hesitant to do so...

6. Young@heart

Young@heart Silver IL'ite

To be quite honest, I would have been skeptical to let my DS (10) take up classical dance.
    We shifted cities last year. And a recent talk with a mother of DS's new best friend made me more open to the idea. Her son is learning Bharatnatyam from last 5 years now and is quite happy. She told me that on class teacher's recommendation she made her son join the same and there have been immense benefits to the kid in all spheres.
    Listening to her has made me open to the idea of my DS taking up classical dance if he wants to.

Regards,

1 person likes this.
  7. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Thanks young@heart even i was little skeptical about boys joining classical dance.
    But the art forms help develop everyone's personality whether girl or boy.