Which to choose Tamil or Malay subject?

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Singapore' started by farhana, Aug 24, 2014.

1. farhana

farhana Junior IL'ite

I'm a Malaysia Citizen shifted to Singapore. I'm sending my son to Kindergarden 1 this month but i'm little confused whether to choose Malay or Tamil as secondary language. I have a very little knowledge in Tamil language but i'm fluent in Malay as i studied in Malaysia.Most of my relatives choose Tamil language as secondary subject.

What subject should i choose for my son. Please advice.

Thank you,
    Farhana

1 person likes this.

2. isolated

isolated Silver IL'ite

Hmm, what is your "mother tongue"? I would suggest choosing your kid's second language as malay, though hindi might be a better choice when he moves on to primary school. I took Tamil as a second language in school and although it is a beautiful language, I didn't have a pleasant time with the teachers:/ I wish my parents had put made me learn Hindi as a second language lol. At least I would have had a more better experience in my childhood. However, malay is not an Indian language but Hindi still is. Its really up to you anyways:)

3. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Farhana,

I am guessing you are a Malaysian Tamil, so are in a dilemma of choosing between Malay and Tamil. It totally depends on you. If you are planning to settle down in SG, then either of the languages are good enough, but if you are planning to move back to Malaysia, I am not entirely sure, but may be Malay would be a better choice. Whatever you choose for him, you can teach him the other language at home :)

Best Wishes!!

4. farhana

farhana Junior IL'ite

My mother tongue is Tamil and i'm a Malaysian Tamil. There is no value for tamil language in Malaysia. I'm scared if i shifted back to Malaysia (as my parents are there), my son will have problem if he choose Tamil.
    But my Indian relatives in Singapore let their child to study Tamil.

Confused...which is better for him.

5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Farhana,

If you are likely to shift to Malaysia, then it might be a good idea to choose Malay. It has value here as well as in Malaysia. Also if you want to teach him Tamil, you can do so at home or with private lessons.

Best!!

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

If Malay is what you know, let him learn malay. Tamil is a little more difficult since spoken tamil differs drastically from written tamil.

7. asokabinaiya

asokabinaiya Senior IL'ite

I thought you should choose malay and join him to tamil tution
    I mean both are important but malay is most important in Malaysia
    most of my relative done in this way :)

have a great decision and day

8. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If I may suggest, leave him in the Tamil school if you think it is important for him to learn the language.. Because tamil tuitions/ private classes etc are just a namesake.. I am seeing the third generation Tamils(school going children today) all speak only English/ Malay.. The language is sure going downhill in the current generation.. I bet more than 70% can't read or write Tamil. and this will come only if you learn in school.. worse still if the parents don't know it themselves.

On the other hand, if you think tamil is not so important, then sure allow him to learn malay, and you can help him as well.. But I doubt then the tamil language is entirely lost in the family line.. As you can speak/read/write only little, then what you give to the next generation will be lesser..

Its your choice based on what you think is important.. Have a good choice.

Ultimately: language is just a means of communication; so develop communication skills irrespective of the language.

1 person likes this.