1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which Ritual You Have To Follow At Your In Laws House That You Don't Like?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by AditiShining, Sep 11, 2021.

1. AditiShining

AditiShining Bronze IL'ite

Did you just touch their feet or press legs too?

I will gradually decrease the duration of pressing legs and then will just touch feet

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Already replied above. My PILs are very educated and modern in their thinking even though they follow simple traditional life style. So, no issue so far.
    If your SIL is not pressing her MIL's or SIL's feet, how can they force you to do so. Also they are very modern enough to allow their daughter to wear shorts, but DIL has to follow all the traditions. Thats why I said when its their own daughter its just their comfort & happiness, but for DIL its their duty. If you are newly married, observe them and do whats best for you. Never complain to dh, but be smart to do what you want through actions. But please dont spoil your relationship with them over this issue, but slowly wean them off in a smart way. Sometimes you have to pretend that you are deaf or have memory issues. If you are used to follow these customs in your home, it wont be tough, if not, I can understand your confusion over these double standards. You can fight on it or express displeasure, but if these people have narrow mindset when it comes to DIL (evident) , it will create lot of issues and they will issue a bad DIL label. So be practical. Your SIL is not much older than you to seek blessings, next time hold her hands or hug or forgot to do anything or dont come immediately to greet. Take your own time.

Do what you think is right. Slowly stop doing things you dont like, but treat them with respect. Its a blessing to have good PILs. Maintain good relationship with them. Always be who you are. Learn how to create boundaries in relationship and stand for yourself. Create an impression slowly that no one can force you to do things you dont like. Let actions speak louder than voice.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    chanchitra, Dishaa and AditiShining like this.
  3. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

Aditi, why are you always giving into n being a doormat by your sil n mil? Are you newly married?
    How long since your marriage?

I suppose you belong to rajasthan/marwari as I see them following this custom of pressing legs of elders, taking pallu over head, eating meals after men, not addressing husband's by name etc.

If you come from orthodox family where you are taught to be like this, then its okay you don't have to follow it if you don't like it.

If you are posting on this public forum, atleast you are well educated, have access to mobile and internet. So why behave like 1950s women who had no voice in their homes or those who raised their voices against injustice or patriarchy were told to shutup.

Believe me, when i was newly married i fell into all these traps too ..but i was smart enough to recognise quickly of what was happening and set my boundaries. Though it did cost me a lot like losing my peace, horrible fights insults from inlaws, husband initially...but now the expectations are set. So that i do what i want to n not be what they want me to be.

You have to cut it in the budding stage else for years together you will b trapped into doing all that you dont like to. It wont earn u best dil medal.

chanchitra and AditiShining like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you don't like to do it, why pleasantly surprise her with an offer to do it when it is not expected?
    The "mummy ji, aapke pair daba deti hun" is "aa bail, mujhe maar."*

*showing red flag to bull; inviting trouble.

yellowmango likes this.
  5. AditiShining

These two are two different things. My MIL stays with us. I only have to greet her and SIL by pressing their legs when I see them after an interval. My MIL is with us so I don't have to greet her like that.

But due to helping me in chores she complained that her legs ached so I offered to massage her legs.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There's nothing "only" about one woman having to greet another woman of roughly similar age by pressing her legs.

I am sure you get that by "offering" to press supposedly aching legs you are encouraging the other pressing legs ritual that you don't like.

Anyway, your threads provide welcome distraction. :grinning: Welcome to IL. :grinning:

yellowmango and AditiShining like this.
  7. AditiShining

Actually in my family no one does that every time they see their in laws. Mine is a new wedding. When my SIL was returning from from a trip and was wearing shorts she came to visit us. I pressed her legs for 1-2 minutes to greet her and when I was getting up, she said "your massage gave me a relief after a tiring trip. Could please massage a litter longer? You'll get many blessings." Then I pressed her legs for another 5 minutes.

8. AditiShining

Yes, thanks ma'am

Rihana likes this.
  9. Marzipan

Marzipan Gold IL'ite

To me, it sounds like she was being sarcastic.

chanchitra likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@AditiShining,

Next time when your SIL returns from a long trip, offer to massage her neck as it would be painful after a long trip. No one likes to give access to the neck unless he or she is a massage therapist. Hopefully, this message will eliminate further request for leg massages. :shakehead::rolleye::yikes:

KashmirFlower, Dishaa and chanchitra like this.