Which place on the globe is your HOME SWEET HOME????......Other than your homeland

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Sunny3, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Sunny3

Sunny3 New IL'ite

Hi ILites,

We all know 'HOME SWEET HOME'. Now my thread is something similar to this adage.

After marriage we lived in India for about 2yrs and then dh and I moved to London, UK. We lived there for 4yrs and then moved to US. I worked for some time in UK too. But I found the local people very cold. Dh also shares this opinion. I mean, it is very hard to make friends with locals there. They are polite and we like them for that but it is very very hard to become casual friends. They seem to be always wanting to be politically correct kinda guys. We tried to mingle with neighbors but they always took us as foreigners and even though we extended hospitality by inviting them over for coffee but never found that welcoming attitude in them.

We were kind of thinking everywhere on the globe it may be the same since we are ofcourse foreigners but to our surprise US was just the opposite.
    In a couple of years we made so many local friends. At work the attitude is totally different. Here, people are more casual and cool. Infact, one thing I should tell you here. The first time we went to a store in US, the guy at the check-out smiled to us and talked to us most casually, we were SURPRISED......Why? Because we never had anyone smiling to us in UK at any store leave alone approaching us and talking casually. Even with neighbors and locals we were very careful not to get into casual chat taking our past experience but to our surprise people turned out totally different and we are very happy for that.

I can say leaving India, US has become my HOME SWEET HOME now.

Anyway, those are our experiences living in different places away from our home land. Please share your side too. It is interesting to know what other people went through at different places on the globe.

Sunitha

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Which place on the globe is your HOME SWEET HOME????......Other than your homelan

India will always be home but I feel just as loyal to the US now. California in particular is home now. I have even been called a fruity-liberal Californian by some of my American colleagues! I just love how open-minded and accepting people are out here. My crunchy lifestyle and I just fit right in. This country has given me my biggest breaks in life and also my wonderful DH. I will always be grateful for that.