1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Which olive oil to buy for daily cooking?

Discussion in 'Indians in New Jersey' started by abc00, Jul 8, 2013.

1. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

I have been thinking of shifting to olive oil for everyday cooking. Please suggest which brand and from where to buy? Will buying from costco help? Will it make a difference in weight from the current canola oil im using, need your inputs.

2. Minara

Minara Platinum IL'ite

Hi.. I don't know much about the brands that's available there in US, but I just wanted to add the advise from my doctor who said that alternate and use between canola, rice bran oil, olive oil, and sunflower oil.. each time you finish one bottle of oil, buy the next kind to use.. this way we don't lose out on the nutrients that we get from the different kinds of oil.. to lose weight, just use very little oil on the whole.. using olive oil alone is not going to help you.. i speak from experience..

3. melon123

melon123 IL Hall of Fame

Pure olive oil for cooking and extra virgin for dressing salads....

Never overheat the olive oil while cooking... Pour oil in pan and do the saute immediatly..

There is one RS brand... Spanish made... It should b available in US i guess or any good brand in big supermarkets u can try...

1 person likes this.
  4. rohiniv1234

rohiniv1234 New IL'ite

Olive oil is good but I prefer to use Saffola oil. It is supposed to be better and healthier than olive oil. I was also in a dilemma on which oil to use and I did a little research online and found Saffola Total to be healthier with twice as many antioxidants and the fact taht it's a multiseed oil . I hope this helps!

1 person likes this.
  5. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

@rohiniv1234 - May I know the price of Saffola Total?

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I use the Costco Kirkland brand pure olive oil for Indian cooking. I use extra virgin for all others. Sometimes, when I'm out of pure olive oil, I so use extra virgin. Friends say ev smells but at my place nobody seems to mind. Btw, if you are just trying, buy a small bottle of pure olive oil from walmart or some other store and try it. If you don't like its taste then why waste two huge cans from Costco.
    Btw, alternating is great. I use our very own idhayam for Dosas/chutney powder, pickles, chutneys etc. And of course, virgin coconut oil too for everything some days.

2 people like this.
  7. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

I do the same as laks. I use the same 3 kinds

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

And while reading an article on olive oil, I remember reading that Kirkland's olive oil (Costco) is the best kept secret of the industry. I believe it is as good as the best oil out there in the market.

1 person likes this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I didn't know Kirkland was the best. I just know I love that I can buy it once and forget about olive oil for a few months ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I second laks. I use the Kirkland brand from Costco. I also buy canola oil from Costco. Vegetable oil smells for me some times. I have been using canola oil since 2010. It was suggested to me by my physical trainer back in 2010.

if you want to try first time, try from walmart or target with a small one.