Which marriage to attend? - New Year Contest

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Induslady, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Winner of the New Year Contest - "Which marriage to attend?"

Hello Ladies,

Was this contest interesting? Won't it be an emotionally challenging decision to be taken when faced with such a situation in your family?

Wanna know the winner of this contest? It is one of the new comers to our community...

SAHITI - CONGRATULATIONS :2thumbsup:

She had presented her entry in the form of a letter to her parents family. By portraying it in a letter form, she has given a lucid explanation on the why’s and not’s of her decision.

Her entry will be posted in the next message for everyone to read it. I am sure everyone will appreciate reading it.

Special thanks to the judges for reviewing all the entries that came in and deciding the winning one!

Sahiti,

We are happy to have received your entry. Thank you for the time and efforts in sending it in. Please private message your mailing address to send across the gift.

Hope you will enjoy being in this community by participating in more contests to come and by interacting with the wonderful members out here.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Sahiti's winning entry for the New Year Contest

Sahiti's winning entry

I put myself in Aparna's shoes and have been trying hard to make up my mind. Oh boy!, it's a very difficult decision to make and that explains my last minute submission.

This is Aparna's turmoil and her final decision. Go on...

After debating long on this, I would make the thoughtful decision of attending Ram's sisters' wedding in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. I agree that it is very painful to miss the celebration at my mothers' place, but looking at the bigger picture with an impartial outlook, it would make a whole lot of sense for us to attend the wedding at my in-laws place. I hope to get myself immersed in the joy and festivity around the wedding so that the pain of missing my brother's wedding does not hurt me much!!!

I would explain the thoughts that have been going on in my mind to my family ever since I have heard of the two weddings taking place on the same day.

I would convey the following to my parents and family:

I am sorry to say that we will not be able to attend brother's wedding since Ram's sister's wedding is also taking place on the same day in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. While I would not want to miss brother's wedding for anything in this world, the situation forced me take this decision and I hope you'll support me and appreciate my decision.

From the moment I knew about brother's wedding, I have been making big plans and been shopping for gifts. We haven't been to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> after my wedding and the thought of meeting parents and siblings after 2 years has kept me on cloud nine and I have been looking forward to the occasion. But we came to know that Ram's sister's wedding is also taking place on the same day, we were happy on one end and disappointed on the other. As you all know, it is Ram's only sister's wedding and so it is a big event at my in-laws. On this occasion Ram as well as my in-laws wants all of us to be present together as a family. If not for brother's wedding on the same day I would have very much agreed with them.

I have been thinking back and forth on this since then and finally leaned over to the decision of attending Ram's sister's wedding. Ram's point is since this is his only sister's wedding, we should be there to take care while my elder brothers and sisters can take care of brother's wedding. While this argument was not so appealing to me in the beginning, slowly I started to realize the truth of the fact. Since she is his only sister, it is natural that Ram would want both of us to take care of all aspects of the wedding with personal attention. We can participate in all the arrangements for the marriage and our presence will surely add more confidence for my in-laws and give them some peace of mind.

While marriage is a happy occasion, you know that it adds a tinge of sorrow to the bride's side. I remember the sensitive emotions from my own wedding and the sorrow that the thought of departing added to all of us. My in-laws will feel relieved if we are by their side during this time and assure them of their daughter's well being. Our presence will add to Ram's sister's happiness and she will cherish these memories forever. On another note, this would also help strengthen my personal relationship with my in-laws. I have always been away since our wedding and have not spent much time with them in person. I am sure this occasion will bring us closer.

We are planning to fly to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangalore</st1:place></st1:City> right after the wedding, and we will make it to the post-wedding reception. Since the post-wedding reception takes place at our house (bridegroom's house), I am hoping I'll be able to meet most of our relatives who have come to the wedding. We will be there during the post-wedding puja performed at our place and other festivities and I am very excited as I think of the fun we all can have together.

I hope you all understand the delicacy of the situation and appreciate my decision.

With Best wishes to brother.
    Waiting to see you all soon.
    Yours lovingly,
    Aparna

3. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Hello Sahithi.,

Congratulations :clap

Best Regards
    Bye :wave

4. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear Sahiti
    Hearty Congrats!
    Way to go..You have created a great impact in the IL community right away :2thumbsup:

Regards
    Honeybee

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sahiti,

Congrats on winning the Contest. You did a good job with your justifications and the way you presented the entry was novel indeed.

Vandhana

6. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sahiti,
    Hearty congrats for winning this contest.Read your entry very touching.:2thumbsup:

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sahiti,

congratulations on writing a very nice and practical letter. And winning the contest also.:2thumbsup:

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    the same situation arose with me just a few weeks back. I suddenly arranged a function at my place. There was a small hitch, my elder brother's in laws whole family had already made plans to visit him during that time. He was in a dilemma. He could make only on the day of the function. If I felt that he must be here, he said he would ask them to cancel their trip.
    Now that was not fair. They have planned before me and this is the first time they were going to his place in the 23 years. So I told him it was okay and he could come on the day of the function. My husband was very cross, but did not say anything.
    But by God's grace, my brother's in laws were forced to cancel their trip as they had to go to another wedding that day. And the problem got solved.
    One has to be practical in such situations.

9. slgayatri

slgayatri Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sahiti
    Congratulations on winning the contest with such a heart touching letter.
    U deserve it.:yes:

I hope u liked this site, as induslady said u r a new member to this community.
    Congrats once again.:2thumbsup:

Gayathri.

10. Sahiti

Sahiti New IL'ite

Dear induslady and the team,
    Thank you very much!!! Just checked my mail and it's a pleasant surprise waiting for me in my inbox. Special thanks for the judges to have patiently read the rather long entry :)

Hi sunikris, honeybee, vandhana, mohana, varloo, slgayatri Thank you very much. Looking forward to get more in touch with you all. I liked this site very much, starting from the name of the site, representing the women of the indus valley civilization :)

:thankyou2:
    Sahiti

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.