Which Is Your Favorite Hill Station

Discussion in 'Travel' started by sureshmiyer, Nov 3, 2018.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

My favorite Hill station is Munnar. The Hill station has a special charm to it. We get South Indian dishes at reasonable prices (me being from Mumbai)
    The auto rickshaw drivers are friendly
    So are the people

2. Blinky

Blinky Bronze IL'ite

I was toying with the idea of travelling to Zurich or Geneva for holiday. Then, I impulsively changed my mind and darted off to Obwalden in Switzerland. I had never even heard of the name of the region till I casually searched for and saw the pretty pictures on internet. I called up a travel agent and arranged for my Obwalden trip (short stay). Tourists usually visit this region for snow sports and venturesome delights.

After much slippy-sloppy ride in a truck, I arrived at the resort and checked into my wooden cabin grumbling had I chosen the wrong place in that horrific winter of Dec with temperature dropping to -27 C when I don't even indulge in ice sports. At midnight when I swept the curtains away in my room, I beheld the most unusual and brightly lit mountainside spectacle of a hamlet with Christmas tinsel and beacons. It was a fairy tale set piece. I have never seen another captivating hamlet like that of the surrounds of Obwalden. Till date, it remains the best mountain/hillside holiday locked up in my cottage, whilst the neighborhood gloriously skied, I waited for just that misty fairy lights to be switched on every evening.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]
    Snowy Switzerland, girl in Cabin, reminded me of Kajol Mukherjee walking/running/tumbling down on snow, singing some duet song with SRK in the movie DDLJ ( apparently it has completed a continuous run of 1200 weeks in Mumbai !).

When young I went to college in a city that would get cold and snowy in winters. We had a regular-walden there; one nutter named H.D.Thoreau made that place and a pond over there somewhat notorious for its natural setting.

One Christmas a bunch of desi college students went to hike and stay in a hostel on the floor of the grand canyon. During Christmas break. Not exactly a hill station, but sort of a negative hill, a deep ditch station. It took us only 3 hours to walk down to the colorado river on the floor of the canyon. The first mile or so was slippery, and some of us had crampons on our shoes, and the others stayed closed to the wall on the downhill trails. Kaibab trail, it is called. As we walked down, the temperature got warmer, and warmer. We were also sweating because of excitement and fear. The trail also got dustier and drier. Close to floor of the canyon it was downright warm, like spring time. Lots of photos (old film cameras) were taken by all of us.

Our reservations were at The Phantom Lodge -- 12 bunkbeds to a shed. Boys and girls had separate sheds. The shower and the toilets were outside. It was the same scheme when I went there with family after almost 15 years. Their dinners (salad, vegetables, steak, turkey, chicken ), breakfasts, and the sandwiches they pack for the guests for the more difficult, and much longer hike back up have all stayed pretty much the same as I had remembered from my first visit.
    I want to go back there again. This time I would kneed to wear knee braces, and take a couple of hiking sticks for balance.
    Good place to go; but one has to reserve well in advance.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    shravs3 likes this.
  4. Blinky

Blinky Bronze IL'ite

Dimpy,

The scantily clad damsels who burn in the bare baahon of their lovers in a snowy melody have earned my respect and astonishment alike. Whilst I quiver in the cold even in a mammoth strung coat, the petite in their fleshy wiles seen onscreen are daredevils! In Indian movies, the hero is larded up in woolly jackets whilst the heroines scamper un-stockinged. Astonishes and frightens me!

The Phantom Lodge search redirects me to a one-man extreme metal band. Here: Diabolical Masquerade was a Swedish one-man black metal band with progressive influences. The band was formed in 1993 in Stockholm as side project of Anders Nyström (aka Blakkheim), known for his work as the guitarist of Katatonia.

If the arduous hike does not entail puncturing my ears with rabid metallic music, then buy a spare hiking stick for me to join you in 2020 on this canyon trail with bunkbed and dreary toilet.

5. jackfowler

jackfowler Guest

Horsley Hills is my favorite hill station

6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Breckenridge is one of my favourite place. Went there last winter. Picture perfect scenery. Lodge on top of the hill. Everything was covered with snow and it was beautifully decorated with Christmas lights

Ammu2886 likes this.
  7. RishabhBansal

RishabhBansal Junior IL'ite

kasol.jpg Hey, as I am a peace lover, Kasol (Himachal Pradesh) is my favourite hill station. One can sit beside Parvati Valley and have some super great time with awesome views. You can go for treks to Malana, Kheerganga, Tosh, Chalal. If you are looking for adventure and breathtaking landscapes, then plan a trek <3

Ashi1515 likes this.