Which Desi shop do you find good in houston ?

Discussion in 'Indians in Houston' started by MeenLoch, May 26, 2008.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I stay in Northwest Houston. So i visit the stores in 1960 area like East West Foods, Indo-Pak Grocery and Taj Imports. When I visit downtown, I go to Patel Brother's shop. I used to find the Indo-Pak grocery cheap. Now everyone has increased prices by as high as 100%. Especially wheat and rice were costing close $25 for 20lb bag.

I look for sales and buy quality food at nominal prices, when it comes to veggies and American food, but for Indian growcery there is no such option.

Where do you all shop for Indian grocery ? Also share your tips to save on grocery here. It shall be useful for our other visitors too.
    Let's share and learn.

2. ramyaganesh

ramyaganesh Senior IL'ite

Hi Meenloch,

I think i am too late.. my Two cents are Here... Even we are staying in North Houston.. I go to Tajmahal imports.. but i feel their quality is not good and some times i find they keeps the products whose date wxpired.. i noticed after bringing them home :-( . When we go to Saibaba temple in Hillcroft avenue, i get the grocieries from there..

I dont know about this Indo-pask shop.. next time i will try this..

regards,
    ramyaganesh

3. Radhika_M

Radhika_M New IL'ite

Hi,

I do our groceries at Keemat Grocers. I found this cheaper compared to Patel brothers. I feel Patel brothers is a little bit overpriced.

Radhika.

4. supratyana

supratyana New IL'ite

I think the eastwest grocers on FM1960 are pretty decent n the ones hillcroft patel bros and taaza are good enuf too:)

5. nsuganya

nsuganya New IL'ite

Hey, Discount groceries in stafford is cheaper than all.

Rgds/Suganya.

6. Mridula

Mridula New IL'ite

I found Taaza market better than Patel brothers on Hillcroft. Taaza market prices are lower compared to patel bros...i have heard Keemat is also good. We have to check for the expiry dates in all these shops as they have some expired stuff.

7. Shmira

Shmira Bronze IL'ite

Hey

I live in Northwest houston. I go once a month or 2 weeks once to Indian stores. I went to Parivar Groceries at first. I like it there, I relocated to Houston from Austin, I find the quantity of curry leaves given in Parivar is the best you could get for the value.

I went to Vishaala, Its costly after purchasing at Parivar. This new year parivar gave us free calendar with indian deities :p.

For Common groceries, I prefer H-E-B to Kroger. Kroger to me is costly little bit compared to HEB (Westheimer - Kirkwood HEB is my shop)and I can pick any vegetable from HEB without even looking at it. But in Kroger (on Eldridge - Briar ) I have to make sure it is good or tender!!

That's my thought.