Which Airlines To Choose

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Hosanna, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Hosanna

Hosanna Bronze IL'ite

Hi, My parents will be coming to US in May end from Chennai to Los Angeles for my delivery. Usually they travel by cathay pacific but now i am little confused with this corona going on.. if i should book cathay as the transit is in Hong kong. When i consider qatar or emirates, the flight start time is early morning around 4 am or 3 am in chennai so my parents have to leave home at midnight. What are your suggestions.

2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Since they are seniors better not to come through HK . No one knows the right answer but considering they are coming here to help you for pregnancy the better decision would be to choose different route

MalStrom and Hosanna like this.
  3. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

just random suggestion. small discomfort of 4 am is ok than with the current scare of corona from flights from HK / china.

Hosanna likes this.
  4. Hosanna

Hosanna Bronze IL'ite

Thanks mangaii, ya they are old and chronic patients too. Will consider other airlines as u suggested.

5. Hosanna

Hosanna Bronze IL'ite

Well said. I will better go with Qatar or Emirates. Thanks lavani

6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Chronic patients ? going to a country with horribly expensive healthcare costs, high insurance premiums and out-of-pocket expenses ? and doing that during this Covid-19 emergency ?
    Be very careful in dragging on elder care responsibilities on yourself when you need to be taken care of.

SinghManisha and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Lufthansa is an option. Via Frankfurt! Not sure to the west coast this is an option.

When I had travel to the East Coast I did this.

But I remember my aunt travelling to LA and taking Lufthansa.

But check the layover time. I had just one hour in Frankfurt and had to sprint to catch my connecting flight. It was a nightmare.

Thyagarajan and Amulet like this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If your parents are elderly then you can book wheelchairs for them. They will take care of transferring them to the connecting flights too.

9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I checked. However, Frankfurt airport has a long walk for this transit. It is best to have wheel-chair assist in that airport. Especially if the passengers are carrying a lot in their carry-on luggage.
    [​IMG]
    1:50 AM – 2:15 PM
    MAA–LAX
    1 stop : 2h 30m FRA
    Singapore airlines is a good option too. Changi to LosAngleles-LAX is a nonstop. And Changi is a much friendlier airport (for wheelchair services, where the attendants could speak Tamil) than FRA, where the wheelchair people are Polish or Romanian [ the poorer EU countries that send low-skilled labour to Germany].

Added later:
    Flight times are also more convenient: Silkair has a morning flight, and Singapore airlines has a night flight. And during transit time, they'd be able to get vegetarian food -- even idly, vadai and dosa in the transit food court. There is a transit hotel in Changi if they need to lie down on a proper bed for a nap.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  10. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

Not to scare you or anything Germany also has high number of cases and is at high risk(also consider italy is close by and Fraport is hub for all european countires.) I agree with amulet, Senior citizens with chronic illness are at high Risk. Is it possible they take direct flight from India.. Like air india.. so that they dont have to get down for Transit in foreign countries.
    COVID19info.live

Thyagarajan and shravs3 like this.