1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where your life stands here on earth

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Something to Think Over

Dear friends today I received this email, which I want to share with u all friends here. I found it so very practical, and something which set my mind thinking. My comments are at the end of the email.So read on, and think over what the writer has said. I personally agree with most of what he or she says here.This email is for the people who are close to the age of 50.

WHERE YOUR LIFE STANDS HERE ON EARTH

Because none of us have many years to live, and we can't take along anything when we go, so we don't have to be too thrifty...
    Spend the money that should be spent, enjoy what should be enjoyed, donate what you are able to donate, but don't leave all to your children or grandchildren, for you don't want them to become parasites who are waiting for the day you will die!!
    Don't worry about what will happen after we are gone, because when we return to dust, we will feel nothing about praises or criticisms. The time to enjoy the worldly life and your hard earned wealth will be over!
    Don't worry too much about your children, for children will have their own destiny and should find their own way. Don't be your children's slave. Care for them, love them, give them gifts but also enjoy your money while you can. Life should have more to it than working from the cradle to the grave!!
    40-year old like you, don't trade in your health for wealth by working yourself to an early grave anymore... Because your money may not be able to buy your health...
    When to stop making money, and how much is enough ( hundred thousands, million, ten million )?
    Out of thousand hectares of good farm land, you can consume only three quarts (of rice) daily; out of a thousand mansions, you only need eight square meters of space to rest at night.
    One day passes without happiness, you will lose one day.
    One day passes with happiness, and then you gain one day.
    In good spirit, sickness will cure; in a happy spirit, sickness will cure faster; in high and happy spirits; sickness will never come
    Above all, learn to cherish the goodness around... and FRIENDS... They all make you feel young and "wanted"... without them you are surely to feel lost!!
    Wishing you all the best.

I found this message really wonderful. Luckily, I have just two daughters, and no sons, for sons I would have to settle in business, and get him a house, at least that goes on in our families, where we don’t study much even today, we don’t work for others, so I would have had to invest for his business premises, capital and get him a separate house for who knows we may get along with his wife or not. So all that money saved, and I am making merry in the meanwhile.

The major grief these days, around us , is we see old parents looking for support of their sons, giving them all their wealth while alive, and now at the mercy of their children. So very common. Why cant the old couple live alone, with the help of servants who will do yr bidding for u pay them well. When u die, u can leave behind what is left over, to yr children, and some for the servants who helped u, that is up to u.

And one of the problem is this. The parents have a home worth crores these days, while the children cannot afford such a home with their earnings, so stay with parents, but illtreating them all the same, and forcing them to hand over the property to them.

And when u don’t have anything , u are at their mercy.

These days there is a wonderful scheme, called the REVERSE MORTAGE open to government banks. They give loans to Senior citizens, against their homes, say 60,000 a month or more, as yr need, u stay in the house, when u die , and later when yr spouse dies, then they will ask their dues from the inheritors, otherwise the banks sells the house, takes what it has to, and return the rest to the inheritor.

Now since the financial security is also taken care of, why would any senior citizen having a home want to be at the mercy of their kids, when they can have a good income coming in everymonth till they are alive, they have their home as security, pledged to the bank.

Don’t take loans to educate yr children, let them do it on their own steam, u retain money, for the child when he or she starts earning, mostly they will not part with their money , so do u put yrself in debt to educate them. Your duty is up to their graduation, further if u can comfortably afford without any expectations, otherwise tell them to go to banks , and take a loan on their own behalf.

Yes, learn to learn new skilss, like blogging, computers, whats app, viber, playing games on computers, making new friends , feeling young once again, go and buy some new T shirts, and brnded shoes and jackets. Who knows how far is the last day, so why not spend some money on your ownself. Stop thinking about ur children and grandchildren, they will take care of themselves.

And yes, take a good medical cover, and invest well in PPF, and if still short, take a Reverse mortage on yr home, and have a ball as never before.

What say friends !!!

And yes I realized I too have become a senior citizen, and I too own a bunglow in my name, so I need not worry about money, the bank coffers are open to us both.

Not bad being a senior citizen eh !

KAMAL MAHTANI

The Bride kissed her father and placed some thing in his hand.
    Everyone in the room was wondering what was given to the father by the bride. The father could feel the suspense in the air and all eyes were on him to divulge the secret and say something.
    So he announced: " Ladies and Gentlemen, today is the luckiest day of my life. Then he raised his hands with what is his daughter gave him and said......
    My daughter has finally returned my Credit Card to me!!!"
    The whole audience burst into laughter 
    ....... Except the Groom 

===================================================

What do u call a guy who tries to be friendly too quickly ?

Answer – Tej Pal !!!!!!

IMG-20131129-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20131201-WA0026(1).jpg

10 people like this.

2. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

Hello Kamalji,

I know you have clearly mentioned that this email is for people close to the age of 50, but can I say that I am one of the lucky ones to get to read one of your farsighted insights at a very early age? :)

Your comments are by far very practical and really appeals to me.
    Children, no doubt, need to be taken care of by parents, but the speed in which things are heading, I guess that those from my generation will be hit the most if we don't take care from now on....

It might sound selfish to many if we say that we are saving up for ourselves, but the bitter truth is that "no money means no care", especially in the old age.... ! It may or may not be correct, but atleast that is what I have been observing through my experiences...Yes, I have seen personal real-life incidents where the elderly person is being taken care of, only because that person gets a pension of her late husband !!!

Nice one Kamalji......

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

I agree with you, Kji.
    Be there for your children when they need you without running their lives, once they are full fledged adults, isn't it? problems arise when one does not do that.
    also too much expectation from ones children.As long as they lead their lives happily we have to be happy in their happiness and lead our own lives...not crib that they are not with us .:)
    I do not think that the younger generation is as selfish as they are made to be. they make their lives and I do not see anything wrong in that. Life is meant to be that way, I think.
    easy to say but all of us have to put into practice. not very hard if one is practical,sensible and strong, me thinks :) time will tell hahaha
    Good one :)

2 people like this.
  4. varhem

varhem IL Hall of Fame

hello kamalji

A very useful and thought provoking one.A nice message.( Ahaa,i am 51)So very timely one. I think we must prepare for our old age.Save.live an independent life.we can take the help of servants when we are sick or too old.

5. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Nice one Kamalji. The last joke was fantastic.
    Btw, the advices were very sensible and practical. But they also had a flavour of western culture - do what you love to do with your money.

While it is settling neatly in the minds of the current generation [not all though!], people of your generation thought differently. They saved everything they could, for their wards' betterment, so now they are thoroughly disappointed / angry when they are not looked after well [again, not applicable to all].

Thanks. -rgs

2 people like this.
  6. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

Much-needed post in this era! We slog our whole life only to bequeath our leprechaunian wealth to our children. Blame them for the neglect, ingratitude and inhumane treatment later!

One small note I'd like to add. I'm sometimes awed by the way my parents inculcated the sense of independence in all siblings. Finish college and get out, go out and WORK! Burn your derriere, dream, plan, work your life out. They were not only supportive but also progressive for the environment they themselves were reared in. Today, none of us eye for any of the riches of my dad and neither is there any parental encroachment in our financial, relationship, lifestyle choices. They have always encouraged us to explore life - studies, career, travel and not a penny was ever exchanged from either side as adults. My parents have a decent lifestyle today, family gatherings, holidays with grand-kids, tours, investments but one of the greatest thing I learnt from them is to enable your kids to stand on their own, to prosper as individuals so that if needed, you have each other to protect, love and support.

My heart leaps when I see someone with the same vision. Loved your post, Kamalji.

2 people like this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Kamal Bro dear a thought provoking post for all the senior citizens. I also second what Uttara has written. We also have brought up our children to be independent. Our children also are not after the riches. We have our style of living attending family gatherings, going for religious programmes, holidays with our children, grand-kids, tours, investments . Like Uttara said we have enabled our kids to stand on their own , to prosper as individuals so that if needed, you have each other to protect, love and support.

Sorry Uttara for copying your words

1 person likes this.
  8. Marun

Marun Platinum IL'ite

True practical stuff.

I have seen many such cases where children ill-treat parents for property.

I have got a question now! My parents are doing the same thing. They don't take care of themselves and lives just for us. When I try to make them understand, it either ends up in an argument or completes the conversation. As a present generation fella what you guys would suggest me to do in this situation?

Kji,
    Life is too short and one have to enjoy each and every moment of it without hampering others' happiness. We are living in a world belongs to a universe which is 13 billion years old(estimated) and the time period of our life is just a fraction of it. Happy that you understand this fact Kji. Hope you are enjoying yours!

One of the fantabulous topic you have bought in here mate. Cheers for that. :)

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OOTB,

Regarding the pension, let me tell u a little secret. My cousin works in a govt bank here. A few exemployees , after they retire, get pension. The son brings them to the bank, takes the cheque, and then withdraws money and departs, this old man telling his woeful tale to all ex collegues in the bank.

i wodner what stops him from moving out, taking a house on rent, if he is living in his son's home, or throwing out his son from his home, why suffer? But these old people dont learn anything at all, keep suffering, for they are attached to their children and grandchildren.

this attachment causes grieg. Cant they look at examples of khushwant singh, who does not stay with his son, and chooses to live all alone, and having a great life at 98.

OOTB, we must learn from things we see or read, they are our teachers.What say !

Regards

kamal

2 people like this.
  10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,

Yes agreed, they have every right to make their own life. And yes we muyst let them live their life, with less expectations from them.

The problem arises, when u put urself in debt by financign their higher studies, and when they start earning , they forget that they have to pay off the debt of studies to the bank otherwise the father will be held responsible.

So give them as much as u can afford, have less expecations, keep some aside for yrself, rather than give all, and be in debt and worries.

Regards

kamal