Where will you put your money?

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by shakambari, Dec 29, 2009.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have been reading your thread and as always fascinated with the Indian preoccupation with gold investments. I remember years ago here in USA we had a run on gold during another recession and it got up to $1000 an ounce and within a year or two fell to $350 an ounce. Some winners, lots of losers, lots of crying. Investing in anything is only a good thing if you profit take at the right time. It seems to me that now is the time to profit take, not to invest. There is also another way of investment decisionmaking...is the investment going to pay for itself. In other words, is it paying out something you can use for living? Well you can go visit gold in the bank and admire it. The big investment pundits here like Warren Buffett are all advocating for here in USA to invest in tangible assets like land, businesses as a hedge against a falling dollar. The Indian investment picture is different but does have some mini earthquakes from what is happening in USA. This spring will be another round of foreclosures here although there is some optimism of slow economic growth here. I am still very concerned as we are having some lull due to the bailout and not true growth. One question is whether the rupee can sustain strength against the dollar and if that is the case foreign currency exchange can make some good and quick money. Well I am not a financial planner....just passing some thoughts. I think that if any of this was clear there would be a lot more rich folks.

2. sanabijay

sanabijay New IL'ite

hai,
    could you pls explain which is the scheme and which bank is providing for the kids education.Even we want to take loan for buying a flat in navi mumbai we are nri s a bit more explanation about that
    I prefer
    bank R.Ds
    LIC policies
    gold not for immediate use
    Real estate

3. sanabijay

sanabijay New IL'ite

Nice ideas and i agree with you.but one question how u manage to do all these on monthly basis remembering to put money in ur kids account like that

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sana,

I have a excel file that has all the dates on which i have to do what.along with the details of the policy, account and think and i also remember them with practice i suppose.apart from this i have reminders left to myself.

regarding policies, my friend/agent will call me to pick up cheques.

5. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

It was a very good thread..Shakambari, thanks for starting this thread. Well, asof now, we are investing in GOld and SIP. What is this ETF, and gold funds, can anyone explain please...

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

7. ubellah

ubellah Bronze IL'ite

Informative thread...I go for PPF, NSC and MFs.
    I'm planning for ETSs this calendar year.

8. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Thanks Srividhya, will definitely go through that.. :)

9. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

I prefer PPF, FD/RD..even Gold coins is a good option when we look at the rates which have shoot up like crazy then this will be a good investment.

I always wonder what kind of investments are there in USA. Please guide me on this or direct me to the link if already exists.

Regards,
    Pandu

10. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

for sure i will invest in gold.
    like i mite do my purchase put together for 3 or four months..