Where to shop for Indian groceries in London area?

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by kasthu, Jan 18, 2009.

1. kasthu

kasthu New IL'ite

Hi Il,
    I just moved to Maidenhead U.K. with my family from Sunny California. Am Looking forward to making friends and meeting ladies from Berkshire county. Also could some one tell me where to get South Indian podis( Sambhar, Rasam Powders) in the London Area. I have no hopes of my shipment turning up in the next month.
    Cheers,
    Kasthuri

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hello Kasthuri,

Welcome to Indusladies.

Plz visit Indian ladies in Berkshire, UK to find out if you have some of our members in your neighbourhood. They could be of help to you :).

And as a new member in the site, NewMemberGuide will help you understand our site better.

Have a great stay here in IL.

Bye

3. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Kasthuri:

Welcome to Indusladies. Hope you are settling down in Maidenhead.

Like Saraswathi mentioned, do have a look at the thread she has given the link to and you will be able to reach out to a few Indian ladies in Berkshire county.

As far as Indian grocery is concerned, the best place as I have heard is Eastham where there are several stores catering to the needs of Indians and if what I have heard is right more for south Indians. Also, you would get Indian stuff in Maidenhead itself. It would be just a matter of finding the stores:) Closer to Maidenhead you have Southall which again has loads of Indian stores.

Hope this helps.

Sindhu

4. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Kasthuri ,

As Sindhu rightly pointed out, East Ham is your one stop shopping area for all your Indian grocery needs.You will get all Indian brands of Rasam powder and Sambhar powder there.Some of the local brands like TRS, Fudco,East End are also good for Indian stuff.

Hope your stay in IL and UK is going to be a pleasant one :thumbsup

5. kasthu

kasthu New IL'ite

Thank you Saraswathi , We visited East Ham and shopped for groceries, had good food , visited the mahalakshmi temple and enjoyed our day
    cHEERS,
    kasthuri.

6. kasthu

kasthu New IL'ite

Thank you Sabitha, Sindhu and Saraswathi for the info on East Ham for groceries. Was right on target.
    Cheers,
    Kasthuri.

7. ElishaA

ElishaA New IL'ite

Hi Kasthu,

I also live in Berkshire. I live in Bracknell and I'm very new to the area as I've just moved form London. If your looking for good Indian grocerie stores in London Southall would be a brilliant idea for you...Did you have much luck finding groceries??

Eli

8. manopriya

manopriya New IL'ite

9. asman

asman New IL'ite

hey,
    you could get groceries in whole sale in tooting high street.
    u have patel brothers and few other shops which has everything.
    cheers.

10. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Delivery service at Grocery Stores

Hi Ladies,

Just got a small info to add to this thread.
    The Shakthi cash and carry store in Eastham has a delivery service too. And I guess the other shops too must have the same facilities.
    It seems they ship to any part of London for a small P&P fee. Its like a big postal package. You can call them or visit the shop and leave a list.
    This is particularly useful for people who live far away from the area and need to shop in bulk that can't be easily carried via train or bus.

For more info on the rates for delivery you can get in touch with the shop @ (0) 20 8471 4713
    (245-247 High Street North, Eastham, London, E12 6SJ - copy and paste on maps.google for exact location)