Where to migrate to lead a good life?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by lahari, Nov 26, 2006.

1. lahari

lahari New IL'ite

I came across this chart in an internet website and felt that our members would find it interesting...

Attached Files:

2. manisha20

manisha20 New IL'ite

hi

thats a nice piece of info. well do anyone have any idea about NZ and how much workable it is over there to find a job and also to settle other wise?

3. Pree

Pree New IL'ite

Is it wise to migrate?

I am a hardcore Chennailite - I am a finance professional here and travel to the US officially. My husband has his own SW business adn we have travelled to the US frequently..

We have these bouts of discussion where we decide to take the step to migrate to the US atleast for sometime- on a H1 for both of us..Let us for the moment assume that it is easy for both of us to get the necessary visa formalities in place..

My question is ...how wise is it to make that move?? I have two kids aged 8 and 3,boys studying in PSBB KKNagar and by Indian standards are pretty well off here.

Sometimes the decision to move sounds good - better facilities for the kids a more comfortable way of life and we can all come back when the kids are into teens;ideally i am looking at 5 yrs..

Or should we keep up the current way of travelling based on our job requirements so that we have the cake and eat it too - live here in the security of home town but satisfy our wish to be there too....

Put in your thoughts...

Pree

4. kavimuthu

kavimuthu New IL'ite

With kids 8 and 3 yars old I personally think it would be a bad move at this stage of their lives. It is exactly what you need to be doing if you are in the US currently ie move back to India and not the other way around. My 2 cents. Good luck.

We have 2 children 9 and 3, we are coming back for good to Chennai May 2007. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
    kavitha

5. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Well ladies

I think migrating anywhere is not a very good idea... India today has everything which any other country mite be having... in fact many things are better back home..

Education: in india the system is such that encourages the students to work hard at all times... i have myself heard from an american's mouth that the level of education in 10th and 12th standard is equivalent to any master's degree in US... and the kinda dedication indian students have an american can never have...

Medical Services: they are so costly in US and nothing can be done without an appointment... and many people from other countries come to India for surgeries and treatments as the services are good and cheap for them...

Transport Infrastructure: its much better in India.. in US not every city has a good transport infrastructure, taxis are costly... in india i can take an auto and go anywhere u want...

i think India is so much more happening, u see ppl everywhere...

In India we can lead a good life and be close to our family and most of all OUR PEOPLE

and above everything, Our country is great, I love India and i miss is it everyminute...

i think if u have got an oppurtunity to come to US, just enjoy urself, see all the places you can, cos thats a chance that u have been given... and go back to ur country and settle down...

What do u say ? lets all discuss our point of views on what i have written

Cheers

6. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Hi! Abha,

I completely agree with your views. There's so much India has to offer with high paying jobs, good lifestyle, good health care facilities, high standard of education,etc. That's not to say that it doesn't have any shortcomings, it does ( well, which country doesn't) but i would probably not give too much importance to that, since it's my country & I absolutely love & adore it.

I came to US 7 mths ago & though i've adjusted well, i still miss India so much & long to visit it. I hope i can visit India this yr & go back to India for good soon.

It's good here too, especially just after marriage.... to travel, enjoy & have fun. It's exciting to explore a new country & it's a good learning process too.

But, when it comes to settling down, i would prefer India any day. It's always nice to be amongst your own people - among family & friends with whom you've grown up & to bring up children in your own country.

Oh! yeah.......and most importantly......in India u don't have to wait for a work permit to work & if u can't drive....you are not dependant on anyone, u just have to call the nearest auto or cab & zip around town!!

That's it from me.

Cheers!

Ragini.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  7. muthumeenakshis

muthumeenakshis New IL'ite

Dear ladies,
    We have been in UK from 1991. We have two boys 13y and 8y. Good life is very much defined by what anyone wants. I am a very social person, love to be among family and friends and like to be busy. I have made my life just the way I wanted it. I dont have any family in UK.
    If you really think about what you would miss living any where in the world is actually the familiarity. We will miss our parents or brothers or sisters even if you live 50 miles away. if you are a south Indian and move to bombay or delhi, well you need to learn to adjust with weather, the language , the music and the very common day to day sight that we have taken for granted from street vendors to temple to dust. It is a steep learning curve until we naturalise ourselves. It comes easy when you appreciate your culture and the other's same. In India we still live very much depandent on others for day to day chores. DIY is the culture in UK. Although I have travelled all around the world (scientist by profession) I dont think I would like to move with my children even back to chennaiat at this point of life. It is important they have the stability and feel secure. Living abroad or anywhere away from home only does make us realise our strength. Good luck any way!

8. ASimpleGal

ASimpleGal New IL'ite

My view is that if you are in a good position in India, then India is the place to be. If you have parents/in-laws nearby to take care of kids while you are at work, then India is heaven!!

Look at it this way - In the US/any other country abroad, if you work, and have kids, your schedule would be something like this - get up very early in the morning, cook, get kids ready for daycare/school, drive to work, come back from work, pick up kids from daycare enroute, cook again, clean, and then hit the bed. By the time you are done with the cooking and cleaning, you are totally exhausted and have no time to help kids out with homework, or even play with them. Weekends there might be some respite, though you would additionally need to do the weekly cleaning, groceries, etc.

On the other hand, in India, you can hire a maid to do the cleaning, a cook, and probably, a driver too. So, in the morning, you dont need to spend time cooking, and can be slightly more relaxed. Once you are back from work, again, you dont need to cook, and can instead, spend time with your kids. You could also get your clothes ironed outside. Of course, you need to oversee everything and when the maid does not turn up, you have your troubles!!

So, quality of life in India is definitely better, provided, you earn enough to hire a maid, cook and a driver. The added advantage is that you are providing employment to so many other people, and thereby improving their economic condition and quality of life. You are happy, and so are they!!

This is my personal opinion, am sure others find other solutions better!!

9. madras43

madras43 New IL'ite

My 2 cents being living in US for 15 years migrated from Madras - It depends on what you mean by quality of life? If it is driving around in a car (which is possible even in India), less pollution, no need to deal with auto drivers, having space for yourself, disciplined traffic, punctuality, and less stress due to kids school then Yes, migrating to US is a better option. However, if the quality of life means living with or close to your parents/in-laws, relatives, close friends, celebrating festivals the way it should be celebrated, in case of emergency get help from neighbors or friends instead of calling 911, able to attend family functions then NO to migrating to US.

Kids quickly get adjusted and make friends. With your kids 8 and 3, I don't see a problem. It may be a problem for kids little bit older, once they are ready to go to middle school. In that case even moving within the country is a challenge.

As you know, the other side of the bank is always green, so in my humble opinion if you are happy living in Madras then just continue to live there...

10. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends
    The criteria of good life is diiferent for different people.
    A person living in his own small village with his kith n kin, looking after his small piece of field and leading a life with basic needs can make him feel that he leads a good life. The same situation for another person can be a disgusting life. This person may feel that he can lead a good life in a land far away from his native place staying away from kith n kin and enjoying all the materialistic luxuries / comforts.
    Friends I feel that leading a good life lies within us. If we want we can lead a good life - a life to our satisfication even in a small remote village or a big megapolis in a foreign land.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010