Where to invest lumpsum 30,000 dollars for the next 10 years ?

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by desiheart, Nov 17, 2010.

1. desiheart

desiheart Bronze IL'ite

IL members,

My DH gave me a monetary gift of 30,000 dollars on my 30th birthday :).
    What are the best investment options for this lumpsum ?
    The investment period is 10 years. I have complete freedom to do whatever I want to with this amount. Ideally, he would like me to spend it
    for travel/vacationing in exotic places since that is my life-long dream. But due to some health concerns I cannot undertake such travel in the near future. So am hoping to invest it for 10 years and then live my dream :whistle

I am married for 5 yrs, with a toddler. I am a homemaker now, but was working before baby's delivery. We are on single-income now and financially reasonably healthy.

I would appreciate advice on investment options either in USA or India (AP).

2. sweety17

sweety17 Gold IL'ite

dear desiheart,

$30,000 is a very very huge amount.Lucky you and very nice of your DH to gift you :thumbsup

coming to investments, divide your investment into various components: like invest x% in shares and some amount in non risky investments like PPF/NSC/FD, and and some amount in real estate, like buy a nice house/apt/land.
    Plan something like this and have a nice time :cheers

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi desi,
    congrats on such a big gift.ur dh is really a generous man.

i feel its too big a sum to be invested on basics of ideas from us ladies.i feel u should talk with some investmesnt or financial advisor,state ur reqirments & then take any step.

well,that is my personal opnion & there is no intention to hurt anyone

pragati

4. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Wow!!!30,000$, so nice of your DH!!!
    Buy whatever you want immediately!!! Or buy a plot or home in developing areas in your native!!!Invest in Gold!!!

5. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

Buy a plot,buy some jewels for you,some gold coins or bars as investment.

6. Saumyamom

Saumyamom Silver IL'ite

Wow ,what a GIFT!! Gold bars or real estate in India

7. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

If interested check for the MIP MFs. these are the fixed maturity plans with a bit less risk than the regular MFs.

8. lovers

lovers Senior IL'ite

Wow thats a big amount for u ... iam sure ur lucky enough to have a good husband who understands u very well ...
    As Sri Vidya suggested why don't u put the money in MIP MFs. these are the fixed maturity plans with a bit less risk than the regular MFs.
    These days Many private Sectors have come up with Very Good mutual Funds ...u could invest in them with nice profit earning after certain period of time .I did the same and earned double amount as the Profit in MFs
    Even Sbi Life insurance has really come up with good schemes if u want u can invest on ur kid which would in turn helpful For his Future Savings .
    Or else Last but not the Least Spending on RealEstate is not a bad idea to invest ur money on .... and also if u have knowledge on shares you can also try ur luck in them ...

9. lovers

lovers Senior IL'ite

Forgot to mention that buying gold is also one more investment ....

10. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Hi ,

You have big amount, When you talk to any financial advisors , you do not disclose the amount of money at first and don't blindly believe in whatever they say, Get the fineprint and read.

Stay clear of Ulips as they not one time investments but require you to pay multiple premiums and they are good only if you want to wait till minimum 15 years. there is lot of misselling for ulips and they will sell it as MFs.

Divide portion of it between MF , Gold, Plot and Post office investments etc. Also you can consider Postoffice Monthly income scheme with recurring deposit for interest option. It gives 8% interest. Ex: if you invest 6 Lakhs , at the end of the six years you can get some where around 9.5 Laks. If you deposit jointly in your husband's and your name you can invest upto 9lakhs. I feel this is very good and safe option.

Look for top performing MF and invest a portion of it . Always beware that you may gain /loose some money in market related funds