1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Where to go for pregnancy check up?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by drparmar, Feb 5, 2011.

1. drparmar

drparmar New IL'ite

Hello,
    I am confuse where to go for pre conception check up and then pregnancy check up? In clinic at Private doctor or in Hospital?
    We have insurance. But still i am confuse. If i go by Hospital, do i get everytime same doctor's appointment.

Kindly help me and if possible suggest me some Gynecologist in Jersey city.

2. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

drparmar,
    The best thing would be to pick a Obstetrician / Gynecologist (OB/GYN) doctor in your area, you can log on to your health insurance website and check the listed physicians who belong to the insurance network with Obstetrician / Gynecologist specialty. Some doctors do offer to see patients in more than one location, you can choose when you call them up for an appointment. Just make sure the doctor as well as the laboratory/hospital which might provide other services/tests etc are both in the insurance network(rates are more if the doctor or hospital is not within your insurance network and might increase your copay/coinsurance).

3. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

If you have friends /relatives call them and take their obgyn name
    reviews then google on net reviews then call up and rest
    ur doc will do.
    I will recommend indian for sure no one else ..

rest nav said.

4. bittenkitten

bittenkitten Senior IL'ite

Do you already have a regular doctor? If so, ask them for a referral to an OB/GYN. Regardless of how you go about it, do NOT commit mentally to a specific doctor or practice without having your first visit to the doctor: you need to find someone with whom you feel completely comfortable.
    Does your insurance require a primary care physician? I wouldn't go to a hospital unless you were referred there by your own doctor.
    If you need a place to start, I can give you the names of two very, very good OB/GYNs in Manhattan, just a short train ride away. They were my doctors when I lived in New York, and I was very happy with them. They aren't Indian, though, and one of them is male (I personally found that the few Indian doctors I did see tended to be rather judgmental (it didn't help that I was young and unmarried), which soured my experiences a bit). They aren't of the same practice, though, so if you don't mind a female non-Indian doctor, or if you're willing to try the male doctor, PM me and I'll send you the information.
    Congratulations, and I wish you the very best of luck!

5. drparmar

drparmar New IL'ite

Hi..
    Thank you so much all. I have gone through my insurance list and make list of Doctors and hospital.In this week i will fix appointment with Gynec.

6. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Drparmar,
    Just a note here, some insurance sites list few doctors as network providers and few others as Premium providers. The Premium providers/doctors provide more discounts to the insurance and charge less compared to other doctors. Not sure if your insurance categorizes doctors that way, but mine does, and I did see a big difference in the fee structure between just a network doctor and a premium preferred doctor(might reduce your copay/coinsurance costs. You can check with the insurance company on this.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011