where to find coconut in shanghai?????

Discussion in 'Indians in China' started by zainabsarfraz, Mar 1, 2012.

1. zainabsarfraz

zainabsarfraz Platinum IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I have been in china since last 2 months and my search for coconut has not yet ended..Im a south indian and i usually use coconut in my daily food but im not able to find it anywhere here...please help me if you have found it any where.

2. zainabsarfraz

so many ppl have viewed but no one replyed yyyy????

3. avmgs

avmgs Junior IL'ite

hi, you can get coconut in many super markets like walmart,carrefore,metro,bhoomi store..........
    you have'nt mentioned where do you live in shanghai.anyway,as these supermarkets have wide range of branches all over the country, you can access to your nearby store.
    not only coconut, you can find almost all indian groceries in these shops.
    hope it helps you.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. zainabsarfraz

hey avmgs,

Thanks for your replay. I live in Minhang but i cudnt find coconut in walmart or lotus the one which is near by though i cud see coconut milk sachets but not the original coconut. Plz let me knw frm where you buy it and how much it costs you. Thank you

5. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Shaina,

i can understand how u must be feeling without coconut, specially when u cook idli and dosa. As avmgs has mentioned u can get in wal mart carrefor metro, but these places have tender coconut. These coconuts have hard brown shell like we have in india but inside its creams not hard white part and have water. These coconut can be used for water but not for chutneys. For chutney u can buy shredded coconut from metro or bhoomi store. I got few packets from bhoomi store and metro. I find one which i bought from metro is really good. If u want bhoomi store number i will mail u or u can search it online they have 3-4branches in shanghai. Getting fresh coconut for cooking is really difficult may be u can find it but i didnt get in 3yrs. Tender coconuts u can find in local super markets too.

6. zainabsarfraz

Dear Padma,

Thanks a lot for the information.:thumbsup

I will try the shredded coconut, will try to find the nearest metro and visit it this weekend. I buy rice and wheat flour from bhoomi but somehow i dont like that shop much as for most of the goods the date is expired.:bonk let me try metro this time.

And one one more thing have you ppl got mixy from india or u bought it here??? if its here plz suggest me the brand name and cost. Planning to buy one this weekend. Im just 2 months old to Shanghai so dont know much of things around.

7. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Hi Zaina,

Sorry dear, i didnt check any post here. Yes bhoomi store have most of the items expired date. Right now i have chutney daal from bhoomi store it smells so bad cant use it and dont want to throw. Metro u can get many spices but only thing is that they will be in very big pack that will last a whole year. From India i just bring tawa and idli plates rest of the items i bought here. I have Midea mixer grinder juicer. It works very well. I think u must have bought by now, i feel so sorry. Here i bought one OTG, mixer, yoghurt maker for kitchen rest we get in in appartments. I am in penglai such a small place, everytime i go to yantai for metro shopping it takes one hour by taxi. You are lucky to be in Shanghai at least not so many problem as in my place. Here no choice for anything.

tc,
    Padma

8. zainabsarfraz

Dear Padma,

once again thanks for the reply. no, you are not late i have not yet bought the mixer i will buy midea even few of my friends suggested the same to me.
    Hey i got the coconut in carrefore it was 10rmb and was gud.
    Shanghai is no better place yes we have a walmart very near to my house but for metro and carrefour we need to travell more than a hour :(

9. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Zaina, did u get same coconut in carrefor which we use to make chutneys or curry.. if yes when my husband go for trip to Shanghai i will ask him to bring few. fresh coconut tastes different.. Here i get tender coconut, if i buy brown shell that too will be creamy inside not hard to make chutney..

tc,
    Padma