1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Where to buy electric yogurt maker?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by pman16, Mar 1, 2011.

1. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

HI ladies,

Pls suggest the best priced electric maker to buy in US. Also mention the brand,capacity and the store where it is available. Im not good at setting curd at home and sometimes go crazy checking the curd every once in a while if the weather is cold,

I want to get some reviews about the electric yogurt maker. Is it a sure way to set the curd at home? Im looking for a single jar but not many as advertised. THis is primarily to set plain curd at home and not make any fruit yogurt.Pls share your inputs.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

2. Rsridharan

Rsridharan New IL'ite

Hi,

I had the same issues and so bought a yogurt maker from Amazon

Koolatron TCYM-07 Yogurt Maker 7 Jars (5-Ounces Each), White

It comes with 7 glass jars, but i have not used them so far. I use a medium size Pyrex bowl and yogurt sets fine overnight. I think as long as the dish/bowl fits in and the lid is closed completely, it should work.

Only issue I have had is that sometimes if left overnight, yogurt gets sour. It basically works by providing a warm surface which switched on and does not have auto turn off feature.Which just means, I need to take my yogurt out sooner.

I did not want to pay too much for yogurt maker as i have warm temp most part of the year. Just for those few cold days, it seems to get the job done.

Regards
    Ramya

3. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi,

i don't have any idea about the maker u r talking about, but i wanted to give one tip for setting the curd,

1. put the culture when the milk is little hot and put it in the microwave or put in on top of the dishwasher when it is ON since the top of the dishwasher will become hot when it is running.
    some try it on the oven as well.

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

hi pman

I also do what Shree does, put the milk and the curd in the oven and leave the oven light on. The warmth will help make the curd.

5. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks rsridharan for the reply. I was looking for something like that. Shree,you can see the link and you will get an idea of what im talking abt.

6. Rsridharan

Rsridharan New IL'ite

The oven and microwave methods became quite unreliable for me and that is when I decided to get a yogurt maker.

Nothing genius about this machine, it justs provides a warm surface - with a baby at home, Its nice that i have one less thing to worry about.

Regards
    Ramya

7. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

8. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

This is exactly the same reason why i want to buy. Having yogurt daily is a must for my kids. I tried the other methods but didnt work for me and im a bit impatient with this.

9. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Heloo coffeelover,

THanks for the link but when i checked the price online it says 280dollars. So cn you please let me know from where you bought it (store or online?) Im looking for 1 qt single jar and not 6-7 jars so that i can set the yogurt fresh everytime. Also does this Salton yogurt maker have an auto shut off?

Do we need to boil the milk before setting or can use the milk directly from the fridge? I read some reviews online of eurocusine yogurt maker where it requires the milk to be boiled before.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  10. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

even i never heard about the Electric Yogurt maker. I usually put some yogurt when milk is warma nd put it in the Oven and turn on the light (when it is very cold outside)