1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Where is the glory in loosing weight???

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 5, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Have you ever wondered, where is the glory in loosing weight??? Why one feels as if she is capable of achieving anything in this world if she has lost few kg (believe me this is the feeling that one has after loosing weight)??? SO why does loosing weight gets us compliments??? Is it because in these times one is rated only on her looks and no longer on her brains and behavior.

I guess the glory lies in fighting with self. We all can fight with others, with the world, family, enemies and friends but it is toughest to fight with one's own self. And the real strength comes in saying 'NO' when all you want to do is to eat another piece of cake when your stomach is ready to burst.

Glory lies in standing up against self to correct self and loving self no matter what??

/** Aaah my precious pearls of wisdom again **/

2. meera19

meera19 New IL'ite

Will power is there behind evrithing...and when the fight is between you and your own mind it requires more....but the power is within you....it requires real courage to say "no"to our favrate food when the inner urge is stronger than the wish to become slim...but still we all are packed with that power.

3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

You said it right, it requires a lot of self control, when we see the results we feel good abt ourselves.
    JAYA

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Loosing weight doesnt mean being skinny as the coat hanger kind of models seen around. IT means being healthy and fit.
    As Meera pointed out i requires a lot of courage to say NO to our favorite food without tasting even a bit of it,
    It takes a lot of self control to keep us from another helping of dessert at a party,
    it requires discipline to religiously follow the daily workout and it requires everything in the world to be on
    track and be fit without flabs and to keep us from fallinf for junk food. So being a fit person merely doesnt point out to one's external beauty but how disciplined, motivated and healthy minded the person is.

5. dipa19

dipa19 Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I am really amused reading this post as I have a lot to say about dieting and self control.As a teenager I was obese,( height 5 feet weight 70 kilos) and when my parents started seeking suitable alliance for me I was rejected for the only reason " ponnu romba pushti" :) Honestly it never bothered me, but when I saw tears in my mom's eyes, i hated myself, as her sorrow was I'm not serious about life. I used to eat 6 jaangris at a time, such was my love for sweets. But I decided to take control over myself, within 2 years I lost 25 kilos, and weighed 45, which is ok for my height. I achieved it totally thru sensible eating and regular walk for an hour daily. I felt on top of the world not cos I was thin, but for the sole reason of my control over self. It takes lot of will power and determination to control the craving for junk food, especially for those like me who dont care about their dress size. But when one can control that craving, it is the ultimate victory!!!

Dipa

6. sumshru

sumshru New IL'ite

Dear Shiva,

Could you please elaborate more on your diet phases and wt loss pattern on time scale?

7. shivachoubey

Here are the phases which I went through.

The 3 Phases of Weight Loss - IndusLadies

On a time scale it took me 10 months to loose 17 kgs and now its been almost a year and I am 19 kgs down. The last few kilos are the toughest to loose but they are melting.

Hope this helps, just in case you need more answers please do write back.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

8. sumshru

sumshru New IL'ite

Thanks dear. You are soo helpful..didnt expect so quick response. can u plz let me know..who did first 17 kgs melt? In my case, first month, it was 3 kgs and then every month it was 2 kg...and when I dropped down by 5 kgs, then it was stuck up....would like to know more about monthwise wt drop. thanks and have a nice weekend.

9. shivachoubey

After loosing 5 kgs a plateau is bound to happen. I lost 3 kgs in a month and then 2 kgs every month. Do a google search in "How to break weight plateau".

My way is :

1. If you are on a diet then relax for 2 days. You can have one heavy meals which you usually avoid. Something high in calories.

2. Next 2 days go for soups and salads. Breakfast should be normal and so should be the lunch but dinner only soup and salads. Idea is to eat fewer calories then your present diet. If you can manage soup and salads for lunch too then its great.

3. After 2 days of soup and salads go back to your normal weight loss diet which you were having before hitting the plateau.

4. You also need to evaluate your diet after this phase and increase your workout. At a lesser weight you require lesser calories.

So read up of plateaus and try this out. If you need more help then feel free to ask me.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

SHiva

10. Alyssum

Alyssum Platinum IL'ite

Hi shivachobey,

Yes, Fighting with self is really tough part.

It needs patients, motivate our self, self-control, avoid tempt to eat, determination, self-courage and positive way of thinking.

These mind sets give a hand to do our/my goal.

We succeed from fight with self; we can grow self-confidence and lot.

Thank you.