1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where is the friendly neighbourhood concept????

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by sumee, Oct 21, 2013.

1. sumee

sumee Silver IL'ite

As I sit back and pen my thought I feel sad that today the friendly neighbour concept is slowly and steadily disappearing.
    I remember my childhood when we were living in Kolkatta,EVERYtime my mother needed help some neighbour will come rushingin to pitch,be it calling the doctor or sending food,even to the extent of taking we sisters to their home till my mother got well.Every holi,every Diwali was one big community affair. Whenever my mother prepared sweets or savouries the next door ladies will come and help my mom. Every problem every happiness shared and every gossip session over tea and samosas....wow!!!!I miss that.Even groom selection my mom will discuss with them:exactly:
    Today even though we are living in an apartment in a big complex I don't even know who my neighbour is.I know no one except one or two families whom we smile when we meet of all the places in the lifts. What a comedown.!!!!!!
    Then my mother could leave her house keys next door.Today I don't have anyone who is willing to keep. Then everyone known or unknown wished a good morning with a smile.Today even known people don't smile.......:idontgetit:
    Then whenever we went out of town,we had neighbours who watched our place.Today I can't even see anyone coming forward to help......
    So where is that easy camaraderie shared once upon the time?Have we all become so engrossed in our life that we have even forgotten to smile and know who our neighbours are??????:eek:mg:

6 people like this.

2. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

yes it is true and it is going to get worse..... even friendship isn't real nowadays...

Even i am facing the same like you except one or two talk....

Such a boring life... Nowadays everyone has everything but does not have human relationship .... earlier days less money but more people was there to care...

5 people like this.
  3. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

this shows now a days people dosn't have true face and no humanity. every one focusing themself for money

they forgot the real face and stick with virtual face (Facebook)

4. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Very true.We truly begin to miss our people only when we are abroad where the indian population is scarce and then make every effort to get to know the few indian neighbours out there.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

How true. My husband and I had the same complaint. We were in certain flats for years without knowing a single neighbour. Once I met another Indian on the lift. I smiled, said hello and introduced myself. I hadn't done that with anyone before. She introduced herself too and we exchanged numbers. Then one day I called her to say hello and see how she was getting on. Then she invited us to her place for a small get together with another family who also lived in the same flats. Within three weeks we were suddenly a group of nearly 10 families living around the area! A few years on, we can't even take the garbage out without meeting someone we know.

I really learnt from that wonderful lady that if you extend a hand in welcome beautiful friendships can result. Of course, some people I've said hello to since have acted snooty and suspicious. But most of them reciprocate. And if it seems appropriate I invite someone new every now and then for tea. And thus I have a feeling of community. It is something different from when we grew up. But quite lovely nevertheless.

Do try talking to those people on the lift...

4 people like this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

This is something that makes me too wonder and feel really sad. The community spirit is virtually a thing of the past and any community events that exist are always associated with collection of money and lots of noise ..... The old practice of dropping in to each others homes for a cuppa of tea over a leisurely chat is no longer practiced in most places.

I guess it is not just people to blame. It is basically hectic life styles and long working hours that are responsible for such changes. Leave alone neighbours, how many people have time to spend with their families?

2 people like this.
  7. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

have hope and try to find like minded friends. if u search u may get lucky, u never know. i admit it is going extinct.. but just not yet.. at least not that i know of.

1 person likes this.
  8. gavi

gavi Senior IL'ite

I miss good neighbours during diwali and new year.

9. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

The friendly neighbor culture is fading away..We became more private comparing to old age. We are not ready to share our personal happenings to neighbours. We try to maintain a false image.
    But to an extent.I think its in our hands how we get a good neighboring community. Usually people say, people in metro cities don't care about their neighbours, I wont accept it fully as I have neighbours who share and care like old days. When im alone at home they used to watch our door if any new people come or regular gas/ courier people come. We have the habit of informing each other whenever we go out of station.
    When we are ready to stretch the helpful hand to others it will reciprocate.

10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

is it in India or usa?