1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where is peace?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

A holy person asked, “What do you want?” and the devotee responded, “I want peace”. The holy person responded “Remove ‘I’ and remove ‘want’ and ‘peace’ is the only thing left”. It looks like a word puzzle on a peripheral vision but when one carefully reviews the depth behind this statement, one can understand that invariably one refers to body conscience when he/she refers to “I” and ‘wants’ are unfulfilled desires that one keeps adding every day. These two are the root causes for us losing peace. When I contemplated on this subject, the following practical solutions came to my mind. This is more of sharing my introspection with all of you than advising anyone about how to conduct life.

Life is never going to be ideal as projected by my mind. I don’t control 90% of what happens in my life and only 10% I can control. However, it is 10% of what I control makes significant contribution in changing my life. Therefore, my initial objective towards peace is to know what I can control and change. I have to build my life based on opportunities presented to me. I have to set realistic and achievable goals that I can attempt to fulfill. While I practice contentment in what I want, I should relentlessly pursue what I need to accomplish.

Most importantly, I have to learn the good habits of role models I idealize in my life but I should never compare my life with others. Whenever I compare my life with that of others, my mind will set unrealistic goals for me and when I try to accomplish them, my life invariably will end up in disappointment. I have to constantly be grateful for what I already have in life and feel good about those blessings. When I have nice pair of shoes to wear, I should think of those who have nothing to wear and for that matter even think of those who don’t even have feet to walk. My blessings are the ones that show me the way to achieve peace in my life.

I have to take one day at a time and live always in the present moment. Thinking too far ahead is dangerous and living too far into the past is meaningless. Going into the past should be only to do introspection and identify the lessons learned and going into the future should be only to plan the best use of my resources. I have to find time to relax and conserve my energy. To the extent possible, I must be able to enjoy the nature around me. The nature around me teaches me how to accept the reality and achieve peace.

I have to understand the life is not independent and it is interdependent. While my character development, spiritual growth and peace are very important, I have to realize that most valuable contribution for all of that comes from my relationships/friendships. It is my friendships/relationships with others that make the difference in my life. I must be able to help others who are in need without expecting anything in return and I have to keep nurturing my relationships/friendships consistently. Wherever necessary, I have to speak my mind to my friends, relatives and acquaintances and accept their criticism respectfully with determination to change myself. Keeping our surrounding and network of people we have friendships/relationships with happy, we can achieve happiness and peace.

In the company of right people, my life gets influenced by right thoughts resulting in good actions, and in the company of nature around me, my mind synchronizes with my heart to achieve peace. While self improvement is my goal, it is inclusion of essential others in my accomplishments and exclusion of my excessive passions that will help me achieve peace in life.

23 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Viswa dear a very thought provoking post as always. I was also thinking on some things which you have written here. I was thinking that hereafterwards I should not keep too much love on anybody and should not desire anything because I land up in disappointment only. Though since childhood I have been expecting so many things but have learnt to adjust also with whatever I have and I am also thankful to God for whatever he has given me. Sometimes I feel he has kept me very happy in this retired life not giving me much responsbilities . My children are abroad and simply I worry about them .God has written our fate and whatever is going to happen will happen and why worry for those things. He is there to take care.

The thing with me is I feel compared to others I am not leading the life with all facilities which is required in present day life because when people come to our house, they see how we have kept our house. Now a days everyone live with facilities and I feel I am not able to provide them. Whereas my dh is very simple, he does not expect anything from anyone, only always ready to help anyone and always waiting for that and never bothers about such things and he says let people come for us and not for what facilities we have in our house.

My son has posted about gratitude in FAcebook. I dont know whether it is apt to your thread but thought of sharing with you. Money is not everything int he world.

This is a story worth sharing !!!
    This is about Mr. Zavere Poonawala (Brother of Dr. Cyrus Poonawala) who is a well-known industrialist in Pune. He had this driver named Ganga Datt with him for the last 30 years on his limousine, which was originally owned by Acharya Rajneesh.
    Ganga Datt passed away recently and at that time Mr. Poonawala was in Mumbai for some important work. As soon as he heard the news, he canceled all his meetings, requested the driver's family to await him for the cremation and came back to Pune immediately by a helicopter.
    On reaching Pune, he asked the limo to be decorated with flowers as he wished Ganga Datt should be taken in the same car which he himself had driven since the beginning. When Ganga Datt's family agreed to his wishes, he himself drove Ganga Datt from his home up to the ghat on his last journey.

When asked about it, Mr. Poonawala replied that Ganga Datt had served him day and night, and he could at least do this being eternally grateful to him. He further added that Ganga Datt rose up from poverty and educated both his children very well. His daughter is a Chartered accountant and that is so commendable.
    His comment in the end, is the essence of a successful life in all aspects:
    “Everybody earns money which is nothing unusual in that, but we should always be grateful to those people who contribute to our success. This is the belief, we have been brought up with, which made me do, what I did.”
    An inspiring example of humanity

Sorry for the long post , just wanted to let down my feelings here

11 people like this.
  3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

“Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances.”

Mahatma Gandhi

If we can get rid of desire, anger , ego and attachment perhaps we can attain peace. But it is easier said than done, but if we strive consciously and constantly it is possible.
    A thought provoking post.
    PS

5 people like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Vijiakka,

Thank you for your first response to this post.

There is nothing wrong in having too much love for people as long as we have no expectations. It is our expectations that brings disappointment. However, it is good to discard desires as much as possible. I always like the term ceiling on desires as it is difficult for me to eliminate all of my desires.

Leading a simple life is a gift and your husband is a Yogi just for that attitude. Don't worry about providing the best amenities to those who are visiting you as long as your day to day life is happy and you did everything possible to make the guests comfortable within your means.

It is so humbling to know the gratitude showered by Zavere to Ganga. He is definitely a role model for many how to shower our gratitude. I remember an incident when an elderly person sought to stay in an Ashram with a holy man and he told that no one could stay in the ashram without any work. She suggested that she would fetch water from the river everyday and heat them. She did it for over 20 years. One fine day, she had lost her eyesight due to cataract and the holy man took her to a doctor in the middle of the night and stayed outside of the clinic until the doctor could operate her eyes. When asked to leave, the holy man said the old lady would seek to see him immediately after getting her eye sight and hence he stayed with her throughout the surgery. He could have asked anyone to accompany the old lady but he showed his gratitude by doing it himself.

In life, even smallest of all gestures should be acknowledged with gratitude.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Mrs. Srinivasan:

Thanks for sharing the apt quote of Mahatma Gandhi. When we fulfill our desires, we feel a great sense of accomplishment resulting in ego and when we could not fulfill our desires, we get disappointment and hence feel angry. We develop attachment on everything we have resulting in the feeling of 'mine'. The feeling of mine is worse than wine and dine.

Anandamaya Kosha inside of us is always peaceful and blissful and it is the distance of our mind from it that causes agitation and restlessness.

Viswa

4 people like this.
  6. Alyssum

Alyssum Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I think, understand and accept whatever the situation, we get peace. It lead good one (success) only.

1 person likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Alyssum,

Most of us struggle to accept the life as it comes. We alternatively get humbled when we face failure and tribulations and feel elated when we face success and happiness. Equanimity of mind to accept all events gracefully comes by practice. That is why learned people say that we should not do excessive celebrations after success nor become depressed by failures.

The plants and animals follow dharma without any deviation and it is our human mind that takes us to places that brings more and more pain. Discrimination power, if properly used, can guide us towards eternal peace that resides in our Bliss Sheath, i.e. the core of our being.

Viswa

Viswa

2 people like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Viswa sir,

I have read and re read this snippet of yours. No not because I did not understand it but you know I have been mulling over it. That is all. I agree to everything you say about keeping good company, doing good deeds etc nut V sir what I realize is most of our actions stem out of either fear or out of quest to find something, be it peace, quietness or whatever. I personally think unless we learn to be in the moment, we will not find this peace we are seeking. Come to think of it, isn't it after the fact we realize our feeling not while we are in that moment - this is what leads us to want to re create that moment. But with nature, it is a different story. I watch these trees in my back yard and they offer me the same solace through out the year - I rarely seem to think of how lovely they look when they are green and when they are green, I don't wonder about how lovely they look come fall! And with nature I don't seem to feel how beautiful it looked earlier vs how it looks now! You know what I mean - that is what gives me the moments of quiet in other wise busy days and that is what draws me to the nature around me. Perhaps that is the way I can steal moments of quietness and we all need something like that and I am sure we all have recourse to that. It is just that we need to pause enough to draw that out in us and lead us.

3 people like this.
  9. priya4raj

priya4raj Silver IL'ite

Dear viswa sir,
    I too read and re-read, to install all the points in my heart.. I just love what all you have said, compliance with nature, not comparing with others, practising contentment and i wish to highlight the last point, ie, interdependent life.. By having a good company, and by accepting reviews and rewards from fellow companions of our life, we surely make our life peaceful! I studied physics, I lectured before marriage , now iam a busy homemaker , with two kids, happily planning 3 time meals and leisure time, blogging. what makes me happy is, i don't complain about what i have lost, i just love what i am now.. I don't know what plans, God has made for me in future, but i surely believe that he makes it really good.. I hope I haven't said something unrelated to the topic.. Nice read, viswa sir..

2 people like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Sabitha,

Who is a better person to talk about nature than you? What a calming effect it gives by simply watching the movements of branches of a tree or even activities of animals. Even wild animals hunt for food only when they are angry thereby practicing their dharma. For human mind, it would appear violent but actually it is not. They all lead an ideal and purposeful life with great sense of fulfillment.

I was reading a New York Times Bestseller "The Hidden Messages in Water" written by Masaru Emoto. This book is all about how a specific pattern is formed in water when we express our emotions and feelings around them. The whole world melts for love. When there is love in all our thoughts and actions, peace comes automatically. Our environment whether it is human beings or animals or plants, all of them influence our lives so much everyday.

Like knowledge, I also feel peace resides in us and if we learn how to discover it by aligning our grey material, we can achieve peace forever.

Viswa

1 person likes this.