1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where have all the goodies of yesteryears gone ?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

It is nice to try shop-made sweets occasionally, if you are sure about the quality. But in Chennai, the sweet shops & deepavali caterers have become too many & we are flooded with such boxes (only) during deepavali. So, whenever anybody gives home made sweets, I reserve it for home use ( I have now started freezing good sweets) & distribute the shop sweets to the likes of Postmen, building security staff, E B people & sundry workmen. I find they are more pleased with shop bought sweets rather than our home made ones. So, it suits us fine.
    You must see the likes of weeklies like Mylaopre Times, Mylapore Talk etc to know the No: of caterers springing up during festive season ! How do you determine the quality ?
    Hence we have to be very careful !
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. Chitvish

Ukkarai is a speciality of "Down South" of South India !
    It is a must in Trivandrum, Thirunelveli etc & has spread upto some families in Madurai, I think !
    Marunthu illamal deepavaliya ? Very often, we end up "attacking" the marunthu more than the sweets !
    I am writing this poat after keeping the jaggery pagu for marunthu on the stove !
    Regards,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

It is nice to know that yopu continue the tradition of home-made sweets & specially take time off to make the same ! I have given a sweet called Kheermohan, which also looks diyalike. Please see the photo of the same, made by an ILite & the photo, posted by her.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/a...ecipes-post-your-comments-668.html#post171049
    Thanks for the lovely photos & recipe, Blondie !
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Always old is gold, Mrs. Chith.
    I think home-made taste is yummier than the store- bought, which is easily available for distribution.

sriniketan

5. Chitvish

that when you say Old is Gold, you are including this old woman also !:crazy
    Right now, I am classifying home made & shop (rather caterer) made sweets, the latter more for distribution !
    Love,
    Chith.

6. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Chits,

I totally agree with your blog. Those soft idlis, perfect circle dosas and rotis, round gulab jamuns, crispy pappads (fried) as I see roasted in most houses now a days, upmas, everything is missing. In Mumbai we have settled to the Shetty's outlets (most of the hotels are run by Shetty's). Breakfast is Poha, Omlette, sheera, vadapav, bhajipav, misal pav. Lunch is masala dosa, daal rice and pappad, sada dosa, utthapa. Dinner is Pav Bhaji.
    Missing all the good food. Though I prefer to stick to my old fashioned idlis, dosais, pohas, sambhar rice, more kuttan etc..

7. Chitvish

I stick to strictly traditional food at home, though I make "fancy stuff" when my family visits.
    Whenever my children take me out for lunch or dinner, my only condition is that they should not tease me if I order for sambar-idlis & ven pongal. As age advances, my taste buds are becoming more traditional. Come & spend a few days with me, Mals - I will "drown" you in Palakkadu cuisine !:drool
    Love,
    Chits.

8. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra,

I enjoyed reading your nostalgic blog. First things first. Don't use "foodie" in a derogatory sense on yourself. If you are a foodie, I am a "kanakkie" and so is Mr. Viswanathan. And no work is superior to another. Anyday I would prefer a first grade vatha kuzhambu to a third grade poetry. Honestly,while hungry I would prefer a second grade vathakuzhambu (and paruppu usili) to a first grade poetry.
    You took me to my childhood days where sweet-making in our house will be a big "kalyaanam.". My aunt, my grand mother and my mom will be busy in the kitchen all day. We will be hovering around that area to get the first taste of delicacies.

Packaged sweets were unheard at that time. Sweets were there only for very important festivals. The preparations will go for two days non-stop, followed by a week of non-stop eating. We would restrict our food intake so that we can eat more sweets.

Today we order sweets by phone. Modern Restaurant makes a door delivery in their van. The sweets are professionally made. But what happened to that taste, which was there in the laddu (and rava laadus) prepared in a poorly lighted kitchen which did not even have a gas stove, let alone other amenities?

Thanks for taking us in the time machine to the nostalgic past.

regards,
    sridhar

9. Chitvish

of your valuable time !
    Foodie is a word, which according to me means Samayal Mami in tamil ! I will never call you a foodie, because for a man, it will mean Sappaattu Raman which, I think may be a little deragatory !
    I hope you see the latest advt for "Fortune Oil" - very interesting with a reference to Sappaattu raman.:drool
    For you, I will interpret it as Rasikan !
    Now, let me tell you a joke. V prides in calling himself a Kanakku Pillai (much to my disgust ofcourse !). On our wedding day, during reception, he introduced himself as a Chinna KP to all Appa's friends - our local Madurai business crowd. One of them later asked Appa, why he did not go in for a prefessionally qualified son in law & selacted a kanakku pillai for my husband !
    Now, all my blogs, I fear are going to be nostagic !
    Advantages or disadvantages of interaction with a senior citizen ??
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

This is an awesome thread.. My observation - One reason why we are losing the goodies is because it is no longer mandatory for a girl to learn making them any more.. My mom's generation used to have a professional training of all kitchen goodies before she got married. But a generation later, well nobody insisted. I was in the US and knew how to survive with a normal sambar, rasam, poriyal, koottu and took a month off to get married :) But one good thing about this generation is that they go out of the way to learn things if they are interested - be it cooking or music or traditions. Whoo whoo, never ever try to force it on them, because they suck big time if they don't have their heart in it. These arts would definitely not die - So many of us have tried making those yummy authentic recipes from this thread (akkaravadisal mmmmm..), learnt a couple of songs from musicindiaonline via infinie repeat sessions, learnt some nice shlokas, took a sneak peak at the philosophical threads..

Ofcourse the inevitable truth is that times will change and we shall not enjoy the same occassions in the same way forever.. I still remember the trip to marina beach and drive-in dinner on some privileged saturdays as a kid and we used to dream about it for 2 days before and relish it for 2 days after.. But now, going to a restaurant means nothing for a kid, because it happens whenever mom is tired to cook at home after her tiring week at work. We used to admire the Diwali dresses stacked in the shelf for weeks and try imagining how we would look on the D-Day wearing it and all those accessories (match-match collections).. Kids today get to wear new dresses so often that it is not as thrilling for them on Diwali day to wear them, as it were for me. I think the charm is not lost, but is distributed across the other new fun things that have sprung up. We all feel nostalgic about our childhood and yesteryears because I think it is human psychology to feel that we had better fun before than now.. Nice thread everyone, I didn't know until today that we had blogs here.. Yipppee..

Affly,
    Gayu