1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where have all the goodies of yesteryears gone ?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

that I make pizzas & pastas only when children come home. Me & Vish have the most traditional food daily. Infact, I would anyday prefer idli, dosai or best Thayir sadam in preference to even chappathis !
    With both the spouses working, I know it is hard on them to find time to make sweets etc - but can't help saying it is the money earned which makes them buy sweets irrespective of the cost ! I do not mean to hurt anybody by this statement, please !
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

I am a food lover as my mom have made us me and my brother's tongue long enough as to we cannot easily accept the taste of the sweets and savouries that are purchased from the shops however famous be it. Though of course we like sweets and savouries from shops but nothing could match the ones made at home with love and affection.

My daughte still insists on the mysorepak made at home either by me or by my mother. It is her favourite and she is not happy with the taste of Mysorepa. She also loves the Thenkuzhal and Mullumurukku that I make than the butter mixture that we get it usually. She also loves the ribbon pakoda. So I am doing these at home for this Diwali and friends all those who love these above items are welcome home to taste them.

3. Chitvish

You write your sons refuse to get up etc.
    Well, let me share a secret - my son would give me a list of his friends to whom, he wanted to give the sweets. So, for that reason, I used to extract small "errands" from him in packing etc.
    Oh, those were the days !:-(
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

This time I made ribbon pakoda & sago mixture. I did not make M pak also. So, to collect these, I plan to visit Selayur ! Beware, Rajmi !
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear CV, most welcome or if you want I could even courier it to you. I now pray hard and will have to give more lanjam to Pillayar to make them come extra good.

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra,
    Gone are the days making sweets and savouries at home. At least deepavali time we make sweets earlier and distribute them. Even for Janmashtami, the festval we cherish as a religious one and make everything at home to offer it to Lord Krishna, is not celebrated as in yesteryears. People go and stand in quque or order in advance from Grandsweets. We old timers have not changed.
    Happy Deepavali!
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

7. Chitvish

We belong to the generation, who try to avoid buying sweets & savouries from shops !
    As you say, I really wonder how we can buy & offer as naivedyam, the shop bought seedai etc - but it is a common practice in the North. So, it is our mindset which makes all the difference, I suppose !
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

A yummy blog..! Believe it or not, coconut burfi is one of my Deepavali sweets( haven'ts made yet, but have grated coconut for it ). Also, after talking with my MIL who is also from Madurai have decided to make Vellaiyappam and Ukkarai on Deepavali.

From the list of FBs you get from youngsters - is it fair to blame them about not showing interest in idli, dosai and upma Mrs C??? But I do agree not all share the same sentiments about the fun in toiling pre deepavali to produce mouth-watering home made sweets and savories. Let alone that, how many calorie conscious youngsters like to even spell out the names of sweets and savories. I can only pity them knowing fully well how much they are missing out...!

-Gayathri.

9. Chitvish

:tongue
    Sorry, sorry, sorry. Some of you amaze me with your interest in sweet making & trying out, honestly !
    Now I hope I am not getting into a fresh controversy - those who live in Chennai have more outlets to buy which is easy for them !
    Tomorrow, I will post instant (least oil) vellayappam, specially for deepavali.Please try that this year.Just now I finished making ukkarai.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi C Ma'am,
    So, you are again taking us to those wonder days of our lives and making us feeling more home-sick......
    Yeah, Diwali used be the most awaited festival during our childhood days after Durga Puja.......
    Lots of fun filled work like cleaning every inch-corner of house for Laxmi Puja and decorating the house with flowers/candles/diyas...buying things like Gold (Dhan-Teras, eve of Diwali)........lots of guests.......sweets of different types........some home-made and some brought from the market and everything tastes as delicious as they were......
    But now, I have no idea how to make sweets, in fact never took interest to make those rather than eat those......and here diwali is something with lights or candles only with glass holders, which never burn as bright as our indian candles.......
    No holidays to enjoy with frds and family.........
    Wish to rewind my life to go back to my old/colourful/beautiful delicious days..........
    regards............