1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Where can we get condensed milk in US?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by SriVidya75, Mar 3, 2010.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Sure Schweety!!!:) come on over am making them on thursday evening...friday was planning to visit my SIL (she is pregnant) so thought of making for her..you both can share then :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. Kutty_80

Kutty_80 Senior IL'ite

hi srividya

I tried nestle sweetened milk to make 'microwave palkova'.. i came out but toooooooo sweet... so dont add even lil sugar .. or tried with unsweetened milk and sugar..just my personal exp pa..

Gowri

3. SriVidya75

You girls are awesome:cheersThank you Gowri for giving me this info...your tip would help me in getting it right the first time:idea

4. vijianand

vijianand Senior IL'ite

Srividya,

I got this fat free sweetened condensed milk form Albertsons. I don't remember the brand. Guess you could try that too.

Regards,
    Viji

5. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi srividya,

u get in carnation brand, nestle as well in the great value brand if u go to walmart . u get the other brands also in walmart in the food section. but donot go for the evaporated milk which will look same like the condensed milk tin. those r different and doesn't taste like the condensed milk. like gowri said they r too sweet even without adding sugar. for kheer u need not add sugar if u r planning to add this milk.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  6. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Nestle condensed milk comes in the name "La Lechera" (i dont know what that means :) ) Have a look at the pic!

Nestlé USA | Find Nestlé Brands

Its available in almost all stores; I bought them from walgreens. Walmart has a brand named 'Great Value'.

Enjoy ur desserts!

7. SriVidya75

Yes Dearies!! I bought Great Value brand one...but turns out I got the evaporated milk one! Let me try it with this..and if it doesnt come out well..then would go with the Nestle condensed milk one in another try!!!!

8. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi srividya,

it don't think it will come out well with the evaporated milk. as it is not a sweetned milk .u might have to add the same amount of sugar u might generally add to that item. i tried once with evaporated milk it was not that great like using the condensed milk.

9. mbhatt

mbhatt New IL'ite

Hi Srividya,
    There is a diff. in evaporated and condensed milk.
    Evaporated milk is thin,look same like normal milk but it's colour is light brown and it comes unsweetened.
    Condensedilk is very thick compared to evaporated milk. it comes sweetened and unsweetened and fat-free also.
    I guess if you make doodh pedha with evaporated milk it will take much more time and it will not turn out well.
    Don't worry,you can use evaporated milk to make kheer. I am sure it will turn out gr8 with it.

Enjoy!
    Mona

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  10. SriVidya75

Dearies!!! I made doodh peda with that evaporated milk..,ofcourse had to microwave the mixture for a lil bit more time than the usual (i.e than making with condensed milk) but the pedas did turn out well...and also tasted great!!

Jaya here you go ...your share of it :) as you asked

Attached Files: