1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where are you going?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[justify]So this morning after having run a race named Quo vadis, I come home and look up the meaning. The meaning "Where are you going" brings an immediate laughter and my Dh gets it! He even talks of a show brand in India growing up. Ingenious I think! The race was a small one - distance wise and number of participants wise. All we had to do was a 10k, basically going around the same 3 mile loop twice. We start as a lovely group from our running group and do the first 3 miles together. But races can bring in that sense of competition, not against anyone but your own self and come the second loop every one peels off to do their own thing. I am fine, I tell myself. After all there are volunteers and then there is the fact that I have done the loop earlier. So I keep running quite excited in fact for I am running a whole minute faster than my normal pace. Pretty soon though, I realize I am in a different part of the town, one I should not have wandered into! Fortunately I see a runner with a bib and stop him to ask which way is my destination and I am not at all surprised when he says I am running exactly away from my destination!

Well if it surprises you as to why I am not at all surprised, I do have a history of getting lost and am notorious at giving directions that I have learnt to not help at all when it comes to directions. Forget that, I don't even take a different elevator in buildings with different wings, don't tell anyone who asks me where a particular shop is in a mall, do not enter a mall from a different entrance if time is a criterion and dislike when grocery stores decide to change up and keep their stuff in a different place than I am used to! As for driving myself around, oh how I love that GPS! Anyways, coming back to my race, my DH is only happy to see me at the finish line and receives me with a "That must be a record!" Just when I think he is talking of my pace, he adds "Only you could get lost". It is only then I realize that I had caused quite a bit of commotion and my DH had gone in search of me not seeing me come back with my group, the one I had started with. No wonder the whole group was "There she is" when they spotted me.

Quo vadis indeed! I wish I knew where I was going, not just in that in that race but in general! But then I think of a quote in FB that a friend had posted "You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.” Steve Jobs

Just as I realize I have understood something, I am privy to the conversation between my kids in the car. My DS of course is a Mr.Know it all as a new teen and never fails to tell his little sis as to how she should know things. DD of course has an attitude that is her very own and chooses to challenge her brother this time with a "Oh so you know everything about everything? well, I know how many kids I want to have when I grow up. Do you know how many you want?" DS completely flustered and confused can only respond with a "waaa?" again and again at the incredulous nature of her reasoning and questioning. As a mom, all I could do was burst out laughing, enjoying the conversation. Oh the look on my DS's face! As I listen to my kids, I am reminded of a dialogue from a movie where essentially the old man in the movie tells the young teenager that "His (the teens) job is not to wish but to dream" By wishing he means I wish I had done that or this! How true that is. Dreams always come first, we must work towards them and then we will all come to a point of being able to connect the dots and hopefully answer that Quo vadis as we look back, even if we have been lost a couple of times or more in the process! [/justify]

9 people like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The list of uncanny similarities grows. Many years ago I exit from a mall store called Emporium, cannot find car. I look, and look, and go back into the store. Explain the problem. The kindly salesperson says the store has two exits - each to a different level of open-air parking, leading to city streets. I still recall being unable to wrap my mind around the thought that a store could have such exits .. how could good old mother earth get so elevated with just a store in between.

GPS. :) My favorite part is the unjudgemental "Make a u-turn when possible" it says. "Recalculating" is a close second. :)

Been a while since I thought of Quo Vadis and its meaning.

1 person likes this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabitha,
    You would not have a better welcome " There she is!!!" So, being lost has advantages sometimes. People worry for us, look for us and feel thrilled when they find us! See the positive side.
    I feel lost in big places or longer routes. I have a mental picture of the place and it is fixed. My cousin stays 15 Km from our place. I know only one route to her house. Once there was a road blocking and I did not know how to reach her place. Asked for directions from the mobile and she guided me till I reach her place.
    Yes, dreaming is the first step. Without dreaming or being passionate about somethings how can we take the next step. Then as Steeve jobs said...connect the dots taking step by step.
    A good one Sabitha.
    Syamala

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Syamala for your feedback. You bring a smile. Getting lost to your cousins place? This seems more common than I thought! India does change so fast and I am amazed how many change shave happened every time I am there.

6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Ah one more gem from you Sabitha! Had a good time laughing over the image of you going in exactly the opposite direction of where you needed to go! Mercifully, I've had a sense of direction like the homing instinct of birds until now. What happens further I dare not think of! I wish (not dream) it continues like this!

Oh that was a sterling bit of conversation between the sibs proving once again that women are the winners when it comes to leaving the male of the species wondering what hit them!!! :rotfl

As for knowing where I am headed to, I don't know either. I am just watching interestedly where this entity is going, what is happening to her. One day I shall look back as I do now and say 'whatever happened was for the best' and I trust that whatever is happening is and will continue to be for the best! All I know for now is I am going 'somewhere' wherever that be!

1 person likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

Now you see why I don't walk and run that too with a group of people! I have navigated our plane the wrong way many a time. Thank goodness for DH is like you - can tell without looking that I am guiding the wrong way. Come to think of it, he is so used to me now that he goes exactly the opposite way I ask him to I guess! That GPS on the plane keeps me sane and when he gets off the line, I start my "are you sure..." till he asks me to just sush!

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

There is an app called "Mapmyrun". It is a fitness tracking application that enables you to use the built-in GPS of your mobile device to track all of your fitness activities. Record your workout details, including duration, distance, pace, speed, elevation, calories burned, and route traveled on an interactive map. You can even effortlessly save and upload your workout data to MapMyRun where you can view your route workout data, and comprehensive workout history. This could be handy for not losing the way. There are five such apps and this one I heard is particularly good besides another app called "Endomondo".

Where are we going? We know where we were and we also know where we are now but knowing where we are going is a little tricky. Our mind has a compass called intellect and as long as we have the ability to notice that it twists and turns so often and observe the direction, we will do fine. We have to ensure that there are no other magnetic emotions that would destroy the functioning of this intellect.

Viswa

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

Thank you as always for your response. I like what you said about not having any other magnetic emotions that would destroy the functioning of the intellect. I get it and I often wonder about where we are headed but then bring myself back firmly to the ground and enjoy what is. It is not easy and I don't have to tell you that.

My running and gadgets a whole different story. DH does get me the necessary things but it is me always - priorities you see :biggrin2:

1 person likes this.
  10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear sabitha,

After my marriage I had to settle down in a small town in north due to BH's work. This place was always crowded with small gullies jutting out every where and navigating along such small streets was a great problem that too without knowing the local language. My BH would always walk fast ahead of me , leaving me stranded and confused about the way to reach the bus stand. His advice would be ' learn things on your own'.Still doing that! That was a good one from you.

Agatha83

2 people like this.