1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where are those days?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SM11870, Apr 6, 2012.

1. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

Yesterday I had a chance of visiting one of my old friend.I went to her place and found that she was putting eye drops on her 7 yr old boy.I was quite astonished because i was not expecting his son to be ill since she didnt mention anything when i called her few hours before.

"What happened,is everything fine?" I asked
    "Yes,he will wear glasses soon"she said
    "why?you dont have any family history of eye problem at such tender age"I inquired
    "what to do?everyday he is watching TV continuously for 8-10 hrs,then computer and after that video games.He hardly goes out to play.Even during exams his routine remains same only duration is short."she bursted out
    "but you should stop her.You do have so many kids of his age group in your apartment,just send him and ask to play with them.I can see he has put on some kilos,he looks obese.Pls control him".I was rather worried

"what can I do?The kids dont come out and play in the evening.Some have tuitions,other have video games and TV.They love to watch cartoon rather than play hide n seek or any such games.Your and our days are gone now.Today is tech day.They can tell you thousands of those cartoon characters whose name we had hardly heard of during our childhood.days have changed"

I sat for some more time and came back. But all the way I was worried for our kids.They hardly knows the name of those outdoor games which we used to play in our childhood.The names might be different in different states but the basic rule remains the same-be it gilli-danda,kho-kho,kabbaddi,hide n seek,lagori,wolf n lamb etc.Instead they can beat you in the toughest of video games.We never had any phone,mobile or internet but the connection through our heart was so strong that we hardly used to call anyone-everybody at the playground sharp 4 pm.We could climb trees but for our kids,climbing has become a summer camp curriculum.Plucking raw mangoes in summer afternoon,cycling with friends-these activities have become a dream for them.I doubt after few more years whether they can identify any plants or animals.

Why cant our kids have a childhood just like ours?

1 person likes this.

2. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Shruti ,

I can understand your angst but just go with the flow!

Coz we didn't have a childhood like our parents :) (Did we?)! Change is inevitable and always for the good!

Though I must admit that it was very sweet of you to yearn for the same kind of environment that you were brought up in for your kids for their benefit.

Aww..that is very caring and nice of you. Nostalgic post!

Personally, I adore this generation kiddos - 'cute and clever' to the helm :crazy:biggrin2:

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shruti
    I entirely agree with Uttaraa. When I was a child, it used to be a totally laid-back life style. We sat and listened to all the stories that our aunts told us. My mum used to be utterly protective of us and never even allowed us to climb a ladder. Life did not have much of a challenge and our ambitions were restricted to have a secure job in Government or in a Bank. IAS was the ultimate dream of many of us.

Life started changing rapidly with the technological advancements and that needed a different kind of grooming the children. Opportunities increased in geometric progression and the challenges at even greater speed. With the kind of upbringing I had, how can my grandson ever hope to meet his challenges? His childhood was far different from mine and I was often critical about it. Now when I see him in his third year as a Medical Student in a prime institution, my heart swells with pride.

World keeps changing at an incredible speed. Just a week back, I read that Facebook has recruited an Indian student for a job that carries a salary of Rs.11 lakhs a month! I am sure his childhood was not spent in flying kites or playing gilli-danda!
    Sri

3 people like this.
  4. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Shruti ,

I too feel that where are those days .....

We hardly find todays kids coming out of the house and playing. In smaller towns we can still find some kids ..but in big cities we cannot take the risk of sending the kids outside to play ....

So the activities are modified for them ..instead we have to take them to the park and n make them play there ...though they dont get the chance of climbing the tree we can ask them to climb the rod there ..:)

As the times have changed we should also change the kind of activities for them...but I strongly oppose kids watching TV and playing games all the time ..there has to be a limit for it ....

5. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

Thanks all for your feedback.
    I do agree with your views that our kids are born in a different environment and they have to be groom as per the present norm but what I wanted to say that they should be physically active rather than sitting and watching cartoons on TV or playing video games.Don't you think that the time could be spent in a better and productive way.Physical activities not only relaxes our mind and body but it is also a good exercise.By playing outdoor games they wont be left competing for good careers-study is at its own place and games are at its own.

Yeah,I do agree that in today's busy world its difficult to find time to play with neighbors,even if one is interested the neighbor may not be.And this is the bitter reality.

6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shruti,

You echoed my pain whenever I think of this topic. I wonder who is to blame. Yes, each generation has less of a childhood than the previous one. But it has never been as bad as this. While I partially agree with Uttaraa and Cheeniya sir when they say that they did not get as smart as they are by flying kites, I wonder if it is worth being as smart as they are at the cost of flying kites and the health problems they suffer from. Who is responsible for this loss of childhood? At the risk of being beaten up for this statement, I would say each previous generation especially this last generation which has used up all open spaces to build high rises, leaving no place for the kids to play and who could not do without all the latest gizmos themselves, thereby getting their kids addicted to them. Besides, their ambition to create Newtons and Einsteins of their own kids has made them pressurize the kids to perform, meaning 24 hours are not enough for these kids to fulfil the parents' desires, dreams and ambitions for them, leave alone to have time to be kids and to play. While there are many parents who may not belong to this category, the sheer competition and need to survive in the present times pushes them to make their kids conform. Sadly each passing generation is suffering from more health problems than the previous ones and are not as hardy as them.

2 people like this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Shruthi,

Your concern fro the present generation kids is very valid. I understand.....now the competition is more, pressures on kids is more than the previous generation, parents' ambitions on kids, as Satchi said, they want them to Einsteins and Newtons or peer pressure, other's kid got seat in IIT, why not my kid! Reasons can be many. But still...if parents spend time with kids, which is the most valuable thing in the present scenario,childhood can be more pleasant. Instead of buying them video games and other gizmos...why not spend time with them? Just chatting or sitting with them or doing some activity or outing which both would enjoy children would be very happy.In fact they would look forward to it.When I was in London I used to see some parents taking their kids to park with a bat and ball every weekend. Fathers and children playing. They were so happy. The kids used to ask them where are we going next week?So, some sacrifice is needed from parents. Just being with them creates a kind of bondage. In spite of long study hours or coaching classes they are spending a lot of time in front of the computor or T.V..because they do not have an alternative. So, parents should think about it.

Syamala

1 person likes this.
  8. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

Dear Satchi and syamala,

Thanks for the post.Parents play the most important role in their children's lives but today's parents hardly have time to play this role.Unfortunately we all have become a part in this rat race for better marks and higher percentage,maximum bonus and variables,high pay cheques,promotions,good placements-either directly or indirectly.

9. Nagshi

Nagshi New IL'ite

The worst crime is to rob a child of its play time"" I do agree with you that the present day parent's ambitions and dreams are robbing the chidren's precious play time when their personality is moulded. It is such a pity, that parents do not realise this early enough. This has far reaching consequences in the adolescent period. But then it is too late to set things right. So parents should allow young children free time for play,interaction with the peers and exploration of their environment.