1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where are the Needy and Hungry

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

· Where are the Needy and Hungry

Today is Mom’s Birthday, and me being in Mumbai on this day, is an occasion to celebrate.We told her we will go out for Dinner tonight , the whole family.But she says, at 76, she wants to feed the needy and the Hungry.

So they have found out an orphanage,run by the Govt,and luckily decided to call them.And today evening they have been given the appointment to come.I will give the details of this later in the blog.

Around 5 years back,my Daughter’s birthday, she decided that she wants to feed the orphanage in Jaipur.We found a Seva Sadan in Jaipur close to our house from our friends who have been there.Run by the Central Govt,it has 40 girl children from 2 years to under 18 years, either orphans or given by poor people to the orphanage by people who have remarried, and the second wife dosnt want anything to do with the children from the previous marriage.The girls upon reaching 18, are given back to their parents, or married off on Basant Panchami Day, somewhere in Feb .

We went there a day before,and were told that tomorrow, the day of my daughter’s birthday, they are booked.Booked ? What is that, I asked the lady in charge.Well Lunch is provided by Mr.Bansal and family, the Dinner by the Sharmas,and you can come tomorrow.And please don’t bring Samosas, or any eatables.These kids have their tummies full eating all the goodies everyday !

The lady informed us,that the first mangoes of the season, the best Alphonsoes, and the most expensive are brought by the wellwishers to the orphanage.As also the best apples,and the works.

We were told to come at Tea Time, and since everyone feeds the kids food, they would appreciate some Coke, Toffes and Choclates, and Icecreams, which people don’t bring usually.

We went the next day with 6 big 2 litre Pepsies, 40 pcs of 5 buck Cadbury chocs,and they 10 Rupee Cups of Icecreams.The kids had a gala time,kids being kids, and it was great to see the sparkle in their eyes.

We took out a lot of pics on our digital, and there was no blog then to post those pics, which are lost now.We asked the lady what else can we give.I have my daughters old clothes, still good,or u need some bedsheets, blankets, some games,like a Carrom, chess, and all was refused.they had it all.

It stuck me then, that there are so many people with big hearts,in Rajasthan, and now I see in Mumbai too,and this maybe true in other parts of India, who go out of their way to share their bounty with the needy, and they don’t give leftovers,but the most expensive ,choiciest and fresh fruits and food, personally serving the children,.It touched me.

Then someone told us there is a leper’s colony on the outskirts of Jaipur, and there too we found that we have to wait in line to serve.And during Shraddh time, those 15 days, your own ancestors will die of hunger,because every needy person is fed.already.

I saw the orphanages were all taken care of, and since I don’t like to stand in queue to serve, I backed out, and I havnt visited these places again, as I know they are in good hands.

Why stand in line, jostling to serve.I don’t need a name or some fame,I am a humble servant of God, wanting to feed some poor and the hungry.But I see there are not many.

Even for Shraddh a few years back, mom told me feed some poor people, so I got some poori and potato Subji made from a shopkeeper, and went around to the hutments, and they refused to take it fearing that it may be poisioned, they way they were looking at me.

And the guys had the gall to tell me, see the Car in the front of u, he is giving Fruits like Apples and Bananas, which we can eat after a day or two, and we are fed up with this poor and subji routine.Instead he said , why don’t u give us 5 bucks cash, so we can buy some ciggies or beedies, food we have in plenty.Wow ! I just threw the pooris on the road,and just could not feed my ancestors that year.They must have cursed me for sure,

Now coming back to my Mom’s birthday.The ashram people have told her the same thing,get Chewdas and chocolates, and mom went and bought the most expensive chewdas in a Cab.I told her they are not used to this good quality, get the ordinary one, but she is the boss, its her birthday and her wish, so be it.

Since then I have stayed off ,and let other good samartians like u all do the needful.I just wonder sometimes, where are the needy and the Hungry ?

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

dear kamalji,

yes these days, in orphanages nobody wants food and old clothes,:spin they say they are fed up with all these, in turn they ask only for money. but we always think they are needy and hungry............which is not true with many of the orphanages............i think India is quite rich.....................

love
    padma

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,

Wishing your mom a healthy and happy birthday. I also seek her blessings for me,veda and the kids.

I know, most of the leading orphanages throughout the country have sponsors, what with the government giving tax exemptions, spend an amount and get the benefit. you are soothing your conscience and also benefitting.

That is the reason you are finding chocolates, and other goodies. ACtually there are lot of kids, who are not in these homes, and don't have the money to continue education. that is why i sponsor, children of maids, flower vendor and the so whom I meet everyday. There are lot of people to sponsor the kids in an orphanage.

I also don't like to stand in queue to get a name. at the same, time if we get a chance to help somebody, we don't let it go.

The spending capacity has increased.

Any ways if giving the expensive chewda is giving happiness and satisfaction to your mom, i would say fine..ultimately keeping mom happy is the best thing u can do right...

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,

You can see the times are changing and everybody wants to do some charity on their special days, be it a b'day, wedding day and so on.

I like this trend,but maybe because of this, the orphanages are fed up with the food and they want money to develop the HOME.

As Shanthi pointed out it is better to sponsor the child of the known people around us whom do we meet day in and day out.

Nice to see your mom celebrating her b'day in a HOME.
    We seek her blessings on this special day of hers.

sriniketan

5. humerarouf

humerarouf Senior IL'ite

dear kamalji,it is a similar story in srinagar too, with orphanages owerflowing with goodies.I strongly ,though believe that there are needy people around us.,giving alms to such institutoins is a mere short cut for us or in other words partly laziness.Havent we heard of people who die away for want of affording treatment ,or sell off their homes to get their children cured of diseases.Any workshop will have a face or two of a child who has dropped out of school because there was not enough food in the family.and lets not forget those who are too proud to ask and suffer quietly.Everyone is not rich ,an extra effort needs to be put in finding the needy and sometimes giving away a smile or a helping hand to the old man pulling a cart load on the road is enough.regards,humera.

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Kamalji,

Another stark piece portraying reality in its grimness! A meaningful read.

Well, our experience has been the same. 20 years back, my father's car broke down in a remote area, and he found this Govt. run Old Age home. The condition of the home and residents was pathetic. He started recommending the home to all the social service organisations he knew. 4 years back when he passed away, we decided that we would do something for this home. We started by donating Dad's Sony colour TV to them. A week later, we went there to find when we could come with lunch. Imagine our horror when the Director and inmates irately pounced on us. Everything we did was wrong. The TV screen was too small, 21 inches. It did not have many facilities like text etc, the remote was too heavy. As for food, they did not want breakfast, lunch or dinner since all was sponsored. They asked for cash doles for beedi, and to mail to their children who had abandoned them there in the first place.

As all of you have said, I don't do much for orphanages anymore. This winter, we arranged for blankets to be distributed in Bombay. My mamoo decided not to give them to the construction workers or people on the street since they are all organised communities. He gave them to domestic workers we see daily, those who sleep under the stairs, and work 15 hours a day.

In Kali Yug, monetary and physical charity (shramdaan) are all becoming redundant. I think, if we just practise good living, not harbour evil thoughts about others, eschew jealousy, back biting, gossip- that is appropriate for this eon.

regards
    Vidya

7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji
    Wish you Mom on my behalf a very Happy birthday, Let God bless her with good health and happiness.
    What you have put up is right there are many orphanages where many rich shots have poured the goodies on them for name sake but still there are many such orphanages where these people go only on government grants.
    The other reason for not taking the 2nd hand goods is that the head of the orphanage doesn't want them to feel that they are orphans so mostly prefer to give them some all new stuffs.
    I liked the idea of Shanthi I think those are the real people who are needy and hungry.
    So I always prefer to buy clothes or buy material in bulk and give it to them so they will get it stiched the way they want like school uniforms, stationerys etc etc. I prefer not to give cash as far as possible becoz we will not know what these people will do with the cash will that go to the kids??? or in they pockets?? or give personal items that the kids need and give them directly to the kids then giving it to the authority person.

8. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Kamalji
    If u want to find real needy & hungery people visit deep interior villages & u will not believe that people cud be so needy.
    True, most of these places which we visit for purpose of charity are flooded with more than they can bite.
    Whenever I go in malls /picture halls/stations /market / hotels /airports I feel that no body is needy or hungey.
    But this is true that so many people don't get the bare necessaties of life inspite of a hard days work .If u have visited any interior tribal belt in any state in India u wud see the difference .
    In metro cities such institutions survive due to all these charity work done by people but situation is much worse in tribal belts & far villages but those people are not in orphanages & such other institutions.

9. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

A very good post.....When i was working with BCBS we used to feed the poor and the aged people every christmas trust me i did see the poor and the needy then...they were rounded up from every corner...these children did not have orphanages to feed them...they were the on the pavements...ragpickers mostly...and some of the parents thrown out cause their children are unable to support them....we used to round them give them food and clothing and then set about setting them up in places known to us.....I worked for a fantastic principal, who made us see that sharing was also a means of celebration....

warm wishes,

priya.

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Padma,

These days people can be choosers.You think like me eh ! Thanks.Kamal